• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Passo Fuel Consumption Problem

aruntantan

Hi folks,

I have recently bought a Toyota Passo 2004 model. Which is 1000cc.

In Colombo with traffic it does around 9 - 9.5 kmpl. But for long distance it does around 11 - 12 kmpl.

Is this normal for Toyota Passo or my car doing bad?

Highly appreciate if you people can give details of a good mechanic to do some engine tune up.

Thanks.

My wife's car (name sake hers but 95% driven by myself) gives me abt 8-9.5kmpl in the heavy morning and evening traffic.

At certain times, when I drive with a very heavy foot, it even drops down to 6.5-8 kmpl!!! :sad-smiley-058:

I've only been outstation once on the Passo, to Trinco during night on a calm and smooth traffic less run and it returned me close to 15kmpl but that with near zero hard acceleration and easing off the accelearator for the gear to change to the higher one...

I measure mileage done by no of litres (full tank to full tank).

I've replaced the plugs, done a proper tune up (water drips from exhaust at start up) and even cleaned the gearbox sump/drainage of the dirt gathered, keep tires properly inflated and alignements done. Yet no improvement in fuel efficiency due to my driving habits.

Also it's a normal tranny hence poor changovers compared to a CVT.

For this small engine the a/c compressor's load makes a significant difference - I switch a/c off in times demanding quick acceleration :)))

Sometimes, I feel like I was better off driving a gas guzzling 6 cylinder Jeep with this sort of fuel efficiency in the city but then again, it's a real city car with easy driving/parking dynamics, small turning radius and ample room for a car it's size.

Considering that it's price has dropped in the market so much I guess it's going to be a 'Sada oba mage'..... :))))

Actually not related to the passo but i do own a vitz 1000cc, which i suppose is the same engine as the passo.

Even i get almost the same fuel figures like 8-9kmpl in city outstation 12kmpl.

Many people say they get extraordinary fuel figures, but personally i don't believe. This is the real scenario!!

Pls check the average fuel indicator fixed on odometer

This is most often incorrect. :) The fuel economy on my car differs widely on heavy I am on the accelorator, but the fuel efficiency indicator has stayed the same for the last year :)

You bring the trip meter to zero first.thenyou can get the correct average fuel consumption after you finish the journey.i made the tank full and travelledaround 50km and again full the tank and checked the accuracy.then i found that average fuel indicator is almost correct.

You bring the trip meter to zero first.thenyou can get the correct average fuel consumption after you finish the journey.i made the tank full and travelledaround 50km and again full the tank and checked the accuracy.then i found that average fuel indicator is almost correct.

Since nobody is going to independently verify this, I'm not going to argue with you. Your fuel figures are higher than the figures most people have reported for this model of car.

it's hard to belive Tcfern1 s fuel figures. Me too had toyota passo. Not exceed 11km per ltr. In city limits did 6 to 8. If Tcfern can prove his fuel figures i'll buy his passo @ 3 million. Because my honda fit hybrid does only 18 km p/l

:D :D :D

btw this 18kmpl of fit in outstation or city limit ?

Edited by bycap

• 1 year later...

Well my passo being a 2012 and an auction grade 5..works around 12-14 depending on my foot and well around 16 in the highway.i think most of this is gained due to the idle stop and the eco mode displayed always in the dash whenever im light on the foot..anyway its pretty much a wise choice comparatively due to its good spaciousness in its class

19 minutes ago, HaeylM said:

Well my passo being a 2012 and an auction grade 5..works around 12-14 depending on my foot and well around 16 in the highway.i think most of this is gained due to the idle stop and the eco mode displayed always in the dash whenever im light on the foot..anyway its pretty much a wise choice comparatively due to its good spaciousness in its class

Your 2012 Passo already has a steering wheel logo peeling problem ? :D