• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any Place For Alternator Repairs - Not Pala Please

MAS

Question

Hi Guys,

My Hyundai alternator was not charging the battery and I took it straight to Pala (never used them but read good reviews here). I asked them to check the alternator and give me a quote. I managed to go into their workshop area and was observing it being dismantled. Then before the tests were carried out, I was asked to wait at the customer area. 15 min later, the owner came up and told me that everything is busted except for the coil. He asked me if the alternator got wet cos some parts are burnt etc etc. He said the repair would cost Rps.25,000. I told him I have never washed my engine during the 6 years of ownership. I have only steamed cleaned the bay once maybe couple of years ago. I told them I will let them know what to do and keep the alternator with them.

I went back to office and was trying to sink in the cost. What options I had etc. But I felt something fishy since they asked me to leave before carrying out the tests. I called them up to not repair the alternator and collected it today. I inspected the parts (diodes, regulator etc) to see if there were any physical burn marks but I couldn't find to the naked eye.

Anyway, now I just want to take the alternator to another reputed place (around Colombo, Dehiwela, Ratmalana area) for a second opinion. Please recommend any workshop.

Thanks !

machan buy a multi-meter from pettah 1st cross street, I bought one for 500 bucks a couple of years back. I check the battery myself when I'm in doubt. Also a float charger comes in handy if you use the car in weekends only. This will help to keep the battery in good shape. I bought one similar to this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-6A-car-battery-intelligent-charging-lead-acid-battery-charger-20AH-120AH-/171132070449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d8442a31

Edited by NRX
  • Like 1

machan buy a multi-meter from pettah 1st cross street, I bought one for 500 bucks a couple of years back. I check the battery myself when I'm in doubt. Also a float charger comes in handy if you use the car in weekends only. This will help to keep the battery in good shape. I bought one similar to this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-6A-car-battery-intelligent-charging-lead-acid-battery-charger-20AH-120AH-/171132070449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d8442a31

Ah great, thanks machan :) Will look into it :)

Ah great, thanks machan :) Will look into it :)

You seem to be on some kind of a fast track. Now that you've taken NRX's advice, do you know exactly what to look for? You'll find the discussion on this thread helpful - http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/16800-how-to-read-vehicle-battery-condition/?hl=%2Balternator+%2Bcheck#entry275470 - that's if you take time to read of course.

You seem to be on some kind of a fast track. Now that you've taken NRX's advice, do you know exactly what to look for? You'll find the discussion on this thread helpful - http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/16800-how-to-read-vehicle-battery-condition/?hl=%2Balternator+%2Bcheck#entry275470 - that's if you take time to read of course.

Thanks I did read it :) Well yeah I'm a bit tensed because as you all know, I did the tuneup, replaced the alternator and replaced new battery... so in that case, im still wondering how come I faced this problem... However i still have a few questions.

1. As Crosswind said, car not starting for the first time on certain occasions can be only due to not servicing the starter motor only? (In that case, how come the start motor issues werent detected by Mr. Dhammika?)

2. Experiencing that accelerating didnt move the car for 2,3 seconds may cause due to what?

3. Just in case if the car stops on the road, what should I do? (obviously it wont be due to the battery yes? because i already have replaced it?)

4. And what does it mean by the o2 sensor is weak when idling but very good when running. Does this statement have an impact on point number 2?

Appreciate your feedback :)

Before doing anything, I suggest you check if both your battery terminals are properly tightened up. If they are, get the battery and charging system checked up from a good place as Crosswind said.

Car bogging down could be due to loss of power from the battery (loose terminal).

• Like 2

Before doing anything, I suggest you check if both your battery terminals are properly tightened up. If they are, get the battery and charging system checked up from a good place as Crosswind said.

Car bogging down could be due to loss of power from the battery (loose terminal).

Alright, will do that.. thanks :)

When you say you couldn't start the first time in the morning does it mean the engine cranks but wouldn't start or engine doesn't crank but get a clicking noise. Just because you changed to a new battery it doesn't mean it can give you the power to crank unless your charging system is working. That's one thing. As Davy has pointed out above it could be due to loose battery terminals. Even if the terminals are mechanically tight they may still be electrically loose (I mean, high terminal resistance). One way to check this is to see if the terminals get hot when you crank continually for a few seconds.

There is no diagnostic test that Mr. Dhammika can do to detect a failing stater motor, unless he happens to experience a difficulty in cranking while testing. By weak O2 sensor at idle he may have referred to a sluggish O2 sensor. It may very well cause stalling at idle when the engine is cold but first eliminate all possibilities with the battery, charging system and the starter motor. Those are basic to the rest of the system.

• Like 1

The engine cranks but couldnt start.... but the 3rd time i cranked it, it started like normal...Thank you for the very descriptive reply, now I understand... Is there any place where you would recommend to check this out? Good if i could check this out tomorrow eve itself though...

The engine cranks but couldnt start.... but the 3rd time i cranked it, it started like normal...Thank you for the very descriptive reply, now I understand... Is there any place where you would recommend to check this out? Good if i could check this out tomorrow eve itself though...

Did the engine rev up to around 1500 RPM initially at the cold start and reduced to around 800 after warm up (without AC) in a few minutes? Then that's a normal start. However, if you experience difficulty during cold start repeatedly, you would have to report it back to Mr. Dhammika I'm afraid.

yes At cold start until i traveled 3,4 km's everything was normal, yes with A/C.... Usually i use the top gear too at 60km/h and everything was ok....And after i stopped and started again then only this accelerating scene occurred...at that time... Alright I'll check again and see what's happening tomorrow afternoon as I have put the car for a polish... Thank you for your feedback :)

Alright so i went to take my car after the polish...I just told them to check if the battery is charging well and they said everything is normal and the alternator is good... But water was leaking from the radiator tube and was falling onto the alternator, because it was not fitted well. So we tightened it well and applied glue... so maybe due to water falling into the alternator, there could have been a shortage right? And i drove a good 5,6km and everything was normal and didn't have any miss. The car started the first time too....

Alright so i went to take my car after the polish...I just told them to check if the battery is charging well and they said everything is normal and the alternator is good... But water was leaking from the radiator tube and was falling onto the alternator, because it was not fitted well. So we tightened it well and applied glue... so maybe due to water falling into the alternator, there could have been a shortage right? And i drove a good 5,6km and everything was normal and didn't have any miss. The car started the first time too....

It is unlikely for a few water droplets on the alternator to cause a short circuit. However if you had a coolant leak, you must have noticed a drop in the coolant level whenever you checked it (did you really?). It is possible that the engine over heated a bit and had some temporary issue. Just forget it for now, but keep an eye on the coolant level and engine heat.

It is unlikely for a few water droplets on the alternator to cause a short circuit. However if you had a coolant leak, you must have noticed a drop in the coolant level whenever you checked it (did you really?). It is possible that the engine over heated a bit and had some temporary issue. Just forget it for now, but keep an eye on the coolant level and engine heat.

Yeah I checked, the coolant level is fine...yeah noted and will keep an eye on them... Thanks Rumesh :)

Hi, I just visited Saman's workshop today for an alternator service repair.

Just thought I will put his details on the forum for anyone who is interested in contacting him.

Glad you managed to finally resolve the issue. Please share your experience and the price you were quoted if possible, should be helpful for other members.

Glad you managed to finally resolve the issue. Please share your experience and the price you were quoted if possible, should be helpful for other members.

I only got a chance to try out the car with the wipers + headlights + A/C yesterday night so I had to delay commenting.

I went to Saman's to replace my old alternator with a reconditioned (original part). He charged me 8500 Rs for the job and gave me 6 months warranty.

The car seems to be charging well. The millimeter reading before the replacement was 12.4V with everything running.. after the replacement it was about 13.6V.

He soldered the wires rather than just knotting them up and putting tape around it (this i liked).

The workshop is a very busy place; he was working on 7 vehicles at the same time. He has boys to disassemble parts/body panels etc (these guys are clumsy fellows and I would suggest the owner be around while they do this.. one of the boys working underneath the car was gripping my signal light while forcing a bolt inside the engine bay.. the signal light bracket came out!!! .... fyi finding parts for my car is impossible!) .. Saman does the inspection and the actual fit back of the parts/soldering/testing etc.

Saman does an honest job..and the workmanship was good... I dont like the lax attitude that his employees have though... Would I go there again?? that depends on the type of electrical issue I am facing. I wont leave my car there un-attended (my score 6/10)

Edited by Iced-T

I only got a chance to try out the car with the wipers + headlights + A/C yesterday night so I had to delay commenting.

I went to Saman's to replace my old alternator with a reconditioned (original part). He charged me 8500 Rs for the job and gave me 6 months warranty.

The car seems to be charging well. The millimeter reading before the replacement was 12.4V with everything running.. after the replacement it was about 13.6V.

He soldered the wires rather than just knotting them up and putting tape around it (this i liked).

The workshop is a very busy place; he was working on 7 vehicles at the same time. He has boys to disassemble parts/body panels etc (these guys are clumsy fellows and I would suggest the owner be around while they do this.. one of the boys working underneath the car was gripping my signal light while forcing a bolt inside the engine bay.. the signal light bracket came out!!! .... fyi finding parts for my car is impossible!) .. Saman does the inspection and the actual fit back of the parts/soldering/testing etc.

Saman does an honest job..and the workmanship was good... I dont like the lax attitude that his employees have though... Would I go there again?? that depends on the type of electrical issue I am facing. I wont leave my car there un-attended (my score 6/10)

Any good electrician who has enough experience will solder the wires before taping them as they'll corrode after a few years if not soldered preventing current flow and eventually cause malfunctions in the electrical system. It'll be a bit hard to trace this down if there is a lot of cutting and chopping in the wires.

Additionally, you can get a multimeter and check the charging circuit when the engine is running every few weeks to confirm that the alternator is functioning. If it shows anything around 13V to 14V, you're good :)

Try vipula motors @Nawala koswatta.. Does all sort of mechanical repairs as well as other car repairs (all in one i would say). I had an issue with my Lancer alternator (blown) he said bushes are worn out + a chip (if im correct), he replaced both (bushes b/n) and chip with a used one he had and everything including labor cost me 5500/- used it till i sell mine (more than 1+ years) never faced any issue..

I usually put all my cars here, since I know him for more than 15+ years and does a pretty good job with garage work + electrical work

If anyone want his contact let me know i will post it here.

Edited by PerfMad

Try vipula motors @Nawala koswatta.. Does all sort of mechanical repairs as well as other car repairs (all in one i would say). I had an issue with my Lancer alternator (blown) he said bushes are worn out + a chip (if im correct), he replaced both (bushes b/n) and chip with a used one he had and everything including labor cost me 5500/- used it till i sell mine (more than 1+ years) never faced any issue..

I usually put all my cars here, since I know him for more than 15+ years and does a pretty good job with garage work + electrical work

If anyone want his contact let me know i will post it here.

Please post the google street view location.