• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any Place For Alternator Repairs - Not Pala Please

MAS

Question

Hi Guys,

My Hyundai alternator was not charging the battery and I took it straight to Pala (never used them but read good reviews here). I asked them to check the alternator and give me a quote. I managed to go into their workshop area and was observing it being dismantled. Then before the tests were carried out, I was asked to wait at the customer area. 15 min later, the owner came up and told me that everything is busted except for the coil. He asked me if the alternator got wet cos some parts are burnt etc etc. He said the repair would cost Rps.25,000. I told him I have never washed my engine during the 6 years of ownership. I have only steamed cleaned the bay once maybe couple of years ago. I told them I will let them know what to do and keep the alternator with them.

I went back to office and was trying to sink in the cost. What options I had etc. But I felt something fishy since they asked me to leave before carrying out the tests. I called them up to not repair the alternator and collected it today. I inspected the parts (diodes, regulator etc) to see if there were any physical burn marks but I couldn't find to the naked eye.

Anyway, now I just want to take the alternator to another reputed place (around Colombo, Dehiwela, Ratmalana area) for a second opinion. Please recommend any workshop.

Thanks !

25K is ridiculously expensive for an alternator repair. I'm quite surprised to hear that Pala was responsible for this.

Having said that you don't need to have visible burn marks for the circuit to be non functional. There are a couple of components in modern alternators. There is the coil, the bushes, and then a voltage regulator circuit, and most often this circuit is what causes the problems. Some manufacturers like BMW sells the circuit as a separate part to replace.

My suggestion is isolate the issue and then find a solution. What is the car and model?

25K is ridiculously expensive for an alternator repair. I'm quite surprised to hear that Pala was responsible for this.

Having said that you don't need to have visible burn marks for the circuit to be non functional. There are a couple of components in modern alternators. There is the coil, the bushes, and then a voltage regulator circuit, and most often this circuit is what causes the problems. Some manufacturers like BMW sells the circuit as a separate part to replace.

My suggestion is isolate the issue and then find a solution. What is the car and model?

Its a Hyundai Tucson (2005).

Its a Hyundai Tucson (2005).

Petrol or Diesel?

It does seem that the regulator is sold separately. If they say the coil is ok, its probably the regulator that is causing the issue.

Can you get some part numbers etc from the alternator and regulator.

Also check with the agent, and the local korean car parts suppliers on the cost of replacement.

Petrol or Diesel?

It does seem that the regulator is sold separately. If they say the coil is ok, its probably the regulator that is causing the issue.

Can you get some part numbers etc from the alternator and regulator.

Also check with the agent, and the local korean car parts suppliers on the cost of replacement.

Sorry its a petrol. Thanks guys.

I guess u r talking about Saman, who has his workshop close to Buddhagosa school. I can vouch for the guy too...

Yeah, that's him... but I remember him to be closer to Kalubowila hospital. Haven't had a reason to use him for a long time till now. There is also another chap I know of in Bangalawa junction, small lane opposite ethe AvanteGarde office. Talker but competent. Seem to have lost his phone number.

Yeah, that's him... but I remember him to be closer to Kalubowila hospital. Haven't had a reason to use him for a long time till now. There is also another chap I know of in Bangalawa junction, small lane opposite ethe AvanteGarde office. Talker but competent. Seem to have lost his phone number.

I was actually looking for the spot near the hospital while travelling today. I will now look near the school. Thanks.

UPDATE:

Due to work commitments I could not attend to my alternator repairs until yesterday. So before visiting Saman's workshop yesterday, I thought I would first try at Delkanda and found a genuine used one for Rps.11,500. Fixed it to the car and its all good now. I will get the defective one repaired later as a backup :-). New alternators on the Internet are around $150 to $200.

Since my father is an Electrical Engineer, during the last few days we managed to test a few components on the defective alternator. The results will not be disclosed here (but will do so when necessary) due to what I will reveal below

Yesterday evening while I was at the garage getting the used alternator fixed, I got a call from PALA Auto Electrical's. They had my contacts because they registered me when they took my alternator for inspection. It was the owner's daughter. During the nearly 10 min conversation, she threatened to take Legal action against me for my thread here. She also accused me of sending emails all around (she is hallucinating on the email part). I told her to go ahead with the Legal action.

This note below is to Ms. Pala,

I know you will be reading this. I hope your "thaththi" knows about your unprofessional and immature stunt yesterday (31/Jan/2015) by calling a customer to harass and especially threaten. If you have nothing to hide, I invite you to come to this forum and post your reply for all to see and give a break down of how you arrived at the Rps.25,000 that was quoted to me. I'm being polite here..... Please don't even think about calling me again to harass and waste my time.

• Like 4

UPDATE:

Due to work commitments I could not attend to my alternator repairs until yesterday. So before visiting Saman's workshop yesterday, I thought I would first try at Delkanda and found a genuine used one for Rps.11,500. Fixed it to the car and its all good now. I will get the defective one repaired later as a backup :-). New alternators on the Internet are around $150 to $200.

Since my father is an Electrical Engineer, during the last few days we managed to test a few components on the defective alternator. The results will not be disclosed here (but will do so when necessary) due to what I will reveal below

Yesterday evening while I was at the garage getting the used alternator fixed, I got a call from PALA Auto Electrical's. They had my contacts because they registered me when they took my alternator for inspection. It was the owner's daughter. During the nearly 10 min conversation, she threatened to take Legal action against me for my thread here. She also accused me of sending emails all around (she is hallucinating on the email part). I told her to go ahead with the Legal action.

I know you will be reading this. I hope your "thaththi" knows about your unprofessional and immature stunt yesterday (31/Jan/2015) by calling a customer to harass and especially threaten. If you have nothing to hide, I invite you to come to this forum and post your reply for all to see and give a break down of how you arrived at the Rps.25,000 that was quoted to me. I'm being polite here..... Please don't even think about calling me again to harass and waste my time.

Is the owner's daughter a hottie? Ado, hit her up... as part of the dowry you can learn how to 'fix' alternators for 25k... ROFL.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 2

Apparently 40 years of trusted reputation.

....and they are afraid of some unknown guy saying he didn't like a quote they gave him or has doubts about the diagnosis ? now if you were the prominent politician or the CEO or a technical marvel at a major car manufacturing firm I can understand.

....and they are afraid of some unknown guy saying he didn't like a quote they gave him or has doubts about the diagnosis ? now if you were the prominent politician or the CEO or a technical marvel at a major car manufacturing firm I can understand.

So you can imagine what kind of a scam they must be running... :)

Ms. Pala,

if you are reading... I suggest you fix your internal SOPs before threatening legal action... there is a thing called a Consumer Affairs Act.

Here, read in your free time and get your 'thathi' to read it too.

You can't cheat people off their hard earned money and threaten legal action when you get caught with your panties down, can you, darling?

• Like 5

Hahaha what BS!...Get your head outta your a$$ Ms.Pala.

These guys have been dodgy for sometime.I went with a dynamo sometime back and they asked me about 12k to repair it saying "it was a rare part".Granted the dynamo itself is rare but the internals are very common...Got it fixed from another guy for 1500 buks and it's still working fine

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Do you have a written quotation from Pala?

I say you post everything you and your father found by inspecting the alternator.

Pala can defend themselves if they want to, but I know it is probably an empty thread, as I know how difficult such litigation is in Sri Lanka.

And if they do take you to court over a true acount posted posted on this forum (and you have a quotation for the figure above), rest assured I will personally pay your legal fees (well in my case I will pay my father who is a lawyer, so its win-win for me :)

40 year old reputation or not, companies should not be allowed to ger away with shoddy service. What I would have expected is an apology and a repair at a reasonable price.

Wow The Don is like Ranja now! Coming to the rescue of helpless car owners,protecting them from corrupt automotive electricians ...There shall be justice!There shall be vengeance!!,there shall be legal fees!!!...THERE WILL BE BLOOD!!!...for he is THE DON!....in EAP theatres island wide. :P

Joking aside.That is mighty nice of the The Don...

Speaking of Ranja...anybody remember those 90s Paila Auto ad featuring Ranjan?

Anyway won't it be better to give the alternator to a reputed place and get a quote for the repair rather than OP's dad?

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

Wow The Don is like Ranja now! Coming to the rescue of helpless car owners,protecting them from corrupt automotive electricians ...There shall be justice!There shall be vengeance!!,there shall be legal fees!!!...THERE WILL BE BLOOD!!!...for he is THE DON!....in EAP theatres island wide. :P

Joking aside.That is mighty nice of the The Don...

Speaking of Ranja...anybody remember those 90s Paila Auto ad featuring Ranjan?

Anyway won't it be better to give the alternator to a reputed place and get a quote for the repair rather than OP's dad?

MD, my father is 68 years old this year. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing he likes. So the old man will have some fun if it does come about.

But I suspect these are empty threats. I know in reality how complicated litigation is, but as a community what will we be if we don't stand against rubbish like this.

MD, my father is 68 years old this year. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing he likes. So the old man will have some fun if it does come about.

But I suspect these are empty threats. I know in reality how complicated litigation is, but as a community what will we be if we don't stand against rubbish like this.

Very well said.

And you're quite right.These threats of "legal action" are farce used to scare off the weak and gullible.If Ms.Pala was smart she wouldn't have made a massive deal out of it and let this thread die out...But now shit has hit the fan and the negative publicity for Pala will be ten fold.

• Like 5