• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any Place For Alternator Repairs - Not Pala Please

MAS

Question

Hi Guys,

My Hyundai alternator was not charging the battery and I took it straight to Pala (never used them but read good reviews here). I asked them to check the alternator and give me a quote. I managed to go into their workshop area and was observing it being dismantled. Then before the tests were carried out, I was asked to wait at the customer area. 15 min later, the owner came up and told me that everything is busted except for the coil. He asked me if the alternator got wet cos some parts are burnt etc etc. He said the repair would cost Rps.25,000. I told him I have never washed my engine during the 6 years of ownership. I have only steamed cleaned the bay once maybe couple of years ago. I told them I will let them know what to do and keep the alternator with them.

I went back to office and was trying to sink in the cost. What options I had etc. But I felt something fishy since they asked me to leave before carrying out the tests. I called them up to not repair the alternator and collected it today. I inspected the parts (diodes, regulator etc) to see if there were any physical burn marks but I couldn't find to the naked eye.

Anyway, now I just want to take the alternator to another reputed place (around Colombo, Dehiwela, Ratmalana area) for a second opinion. Please recommend any workshop.

Thanks !

FINAL UPDATE:

I don't have any written quotation. It was just verbally given to me by the owner after consulting their workshop.

OK so today I went to Saman's place to check the defective alternator. He reconfirmed what me and my father diagnosed to be working parts.

Get this. The only parts that needed repairs are as below;

Slip rings Rps.1,000

Teflon sleeve Rps. 1,900 (this was actually broken by PALA electrician while dismantling the alternator. So obviously the part was not there when the assembled alternator was collected the next day).

Labour Rps.800

Total cost: Rps.3,700

post-8799-0-11023000-1422898747_thumb.jp

post-8799-0-82268900-1422898834_thumb.jp

post-8799-0-00419500-1422898895_thumb.jp

The alternator was bench tested by Saman and it worked fine.

Thanks to all of you guys for your support. The Don - thank you. I'll keep you informed :)

To PALA ELECTRICALS

Shame on you people. Do you think we have money to burn ? Do you take every customer as a moron ? Ms. PALA where is your big mouth now ? Is this how you built your 40 year reputation ? Do you guys sleep well at night ?

Edited by MAS
  • Like 8

Very well said.

And you're quite right.These threats of "legal action" are farce used to scare off the weak and gullible.If Ms.Pala was smart she wouldn't have made a massive deal out of it and let this thread die out...But now shit has hit the fan and the negative publicity for Pala will be ten fold.

Exactly MasterDon ... I would have never updated this thread and just allowed it to die. They stirred me up with their BS threats and I was determined to get to the bottom of this !! Hell, I even took leave from work yesterday to go visit Saman !

Anyway there's no cause for legal action by Ms. Pala so just forget it. I wish you had recorded the conversation though.

Even if they try a libel case, they need to prove that the incident you stated is false and you purposefully intended to harm their business and their business was actually harmed by it. Easier said than done. On top of it, you can fight back easily under consumer protection laws.

Since you have a legal counsel in hand I actually wish Ms. Pala would try to do something funny like filing a case.

On the topic of alternators, does anyone know where a motorcycle startor coil can be rewound?

My DRZ went kaput and i replaced the coil with a OEM which dug a deep hole in my pocket. So i'm thinking of rewinding my burnt one and selling it off or keeping it as a spare.

WoW. I just read this thread. To think that I have recommended this place many times on the forum! If I really knew that the business is run by a set of low lives who threaten customers, I wouldn't have done so.

• Like 2

WoW. I just read this thread. To think that I have recommended this place many times on the forum! If I really knew that the business is run by a set of low lives who threaten customers, I wouldn't have done so.

I think they have become victims of their own success. Maybe the business has been handed over to the next generation who do not value their customers as their fore fathers who built the business from scrap for what it is.

And believe me for all the threats, there would not have been any legal action. Even there was, I know of an entire floor of the Hulfsdorp Lawyers complex who will be incensed to learn about such activity and sort them out immediately. That lady has no idea what she was talking about or what she is up against :) This is a problem everybody can relate to, being ripped off, shoddy workmanship and bad service. Most of the time people grumble and let go as its inconvenient to do anymore. But it doesn't take much to light the fire :)

I found out that there is a Starter/Alternator guy down Robert Gunwardana Mwtha in Colombo 5. Just past where the Old De Silva's used to be when you are coming towards Balapokuna Road from Kirulapana/Baseline Road Juntion.

You must be talking about the place on to your right just as you pass de costa gardens road. I have seen a lots of old cars at that place come in for repairs. I think they are doing tinkering work too.

On the topic of alternators, does anyone know where a motorcycle startor coil can be rewound?

My DRZ went kaput and i replaced the coil with a OEM which dug a deep hole in my pocket. So i'm thinking of rewinding my burnt one and selling it off or keeping it as a spare.Â

Saman does starter repairs as well. Or He will direct you to a good rewinder. A honest guy who will not rip you off. Edited by MAS

Saman does starter repairs as well. Or He will direct you to a good rewinder. A honest guy who will not rip you off.

Thanks. now let me try dig out his address from somewhere on AL.

Somebody plase post Sam's details on the Good Garages thread please!

Yes please!

Very interesting thread....

However, Mr. Dhammika told me to replace my Alternator DIODES when i went for the tuneup.... Anyone have any experience replacing the diodes? Does the diodes come along with the alternator? or can the diodes be replaced separately without completely installing the alternator? In that case, how much will this cost for me (for the diode replacement?)

I was told to go to an electrician for this... Since I live close to wattala, there is a young electrician at mabola near the dias and dias building, and he is known as a good one... Anyone around that area has experience with this person?

Also appreciate if anyone could explain me this process, as it might be good for me to know what is being done beforehand, so that I'm aware of the process :)

Thanks in advance :)

He's talking about the alternator regulator. Its made of diodes bur usually the whole regulator is replaced. Only costs about 2000 bucks and its a straightforward job for any electrician.

Ah okay thanks :)

The previous owner replaced the battery last year's october as i have that bill with me, and I had to replace the battery again few weeks back... So maybe this alternator regulator is what is effecting the battery and causing damage....

It's actually called the "rectifier". Because that's the circuit that converts the alternating current (AC) generated by the alternator to direct current (DC).

Older cars came with 4 separate diodes which could be replaced individually, but most cars after the 80s or so came with a integrated rectifier which has to be replaced as a whole unit. Simple job as stated above by Crosswind.

It's actually called the "rectifier". Because that's the circuit that converts the alternating current (AC) generated by the alternator to direct current (DC).

Older cars came with 4 separate diodes which could be replaced individually, but most cars after the 80s or so came with a integrated rectifier which has to be replaced as a whole unit. Simple job as stated above by Crosswind.

Do those electricians have that regulator/rectifier or do we have to seperately buy it?

Spoke to 2 electricians and both said it would take 2.5 hours for the process... I wonder what takes them so long

Do those electricians have that regulator/rectifier or do we have to seperately buy it?

Spoke to 2 electricians and both said it would take 2.5 hours for the process... I wonder what takes them so long

Rectifiers are specific to the model of the alternator and therefore the vehicle. So electricians may not stock every model with them and you might have to buy them separately. The alternator in your Presea is probably shared across many other Nissans, so the rectifier should be easy to find.

It takes time to remove the alternator, service it and put everything back together. 2.5 hours seems just about right.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Rectifiers are specific to the model of the alternator and therefore the vehicle. So electricians may not stock every model with them and you might have to buy them separately. The alternator in your Presea is probably shared across many other Nissans, so the rectifier should be easy to find.

It takes time to remove the alternator, service it and put everything back together. 2.5 hours seems just about right.

Thank you Davy :)