• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

"62-Xxxx" Driving License Requirement

Rosh_p

Dear Experts,

I am keen to buy a second hand Mitsubishi L400 with a number plate of "62-xxxx". One of my friends told me that to drive this I need bus/lorry type driving license as what ever in "62-" series is considered a bus or lorry. I have zero knowledge in this area, so is this correct?
Obviously, I do not have this type of license and I have no intention to get that to drive this 7 seater. if above license requirement is correct, is there any other alternative? like covert/change the vehicle type/category.
Thank you very much

i'm curious as well about the option of being able to change the vehicle category (if such is indeed possible) ?

For an instance if a vehicle was originally imported and used by a company for commercial purposes and is now used privately, is there any room to legally alter the category based on purpose of use, seeing there would be other vehicles of the identical model and vintage which would be used as private dual purpose vehicles....?

We have a "28 Sri" Mitsubishi 4DR5 which I drive with my regular car/dual purpose license. Technically it's illegal, but I've not had trouble yet. But this jeep has been in the family longer than I have so there's no choice in it.

But if I were buying a vehicle and had a choice I would try to avoid this unnecessary irregularity. So unless this vehicle is exceptional in price, quality or some other way try go find a 'regular' one.

According to the motor traffic act

"Dual purpose Motor vehicle of which Gross Vehicle Weight does not exceed 3500 kilograms and the seating capacity does not exceed 9 seats inclusive of the driver’s seat, which may be combined with a trailer of which maximum authorized tare does not exceed 750 kilograms; motor vehicles in this class include an invalid carriage. And all cars where the seating capacity does not exceed 9 seats inclusive of the Driver’s seat."

can be driven with the normal riving licence with class C1,C it is not constrained according to the number.

eg smart cabs with L numbers can be driven with a normal dual purpose license.

So there's a discrepancy between what's 'defined' as a lorry/bus and what's 'registered' as one. That's good to hear in a way.

:)

Yes that's why they change the number system for vehicles which came under light lorry category was given numbers from PP and above(D*MO batta,Mahindra single cab, and etc.)

From my logical understanding dual-purpose has to (seat>9) AND (weigh>3500kg)

So:

a ) if it seats 10 and weighs 3499kg it's dual purpose.

b ) if it seats 8 and weighs 3501kg it's dual purpose.

No, if you do not satisfy one of above conditions the vehicle does not come under dual purpose category

a) No,although the weight is less than 3500kg you have exceeded the No of seats

b)No, you have exceed the weight

Edited by peugeot407

No, if you do not satisfy one of above conditions the vehicle does not come under dual purpose category

a) No,although the weight is less than 3500kg you have exceeded the No of seats

B) No, you have exceed the number of seats

So what you are saying is its an OR rather than an AND condition (sorry I know its IT speak but just to be clear)

Does this mean that if, for example you are pulled over by the fuzz, driving a let's say a single cab Hilux with a L reg and you hold a C, C1 license, you are in the clear?

The argument above is though the single cab is registered as a lorry you do not need a lorry license to drive it as per the driving license requirement (it qualifies as a dual purpose vehicle).

Of course this is based on OUR interpretation of the law. Nobody has put it to the test infront of a real court of law.

Below advertisement came in a recent newspaper.

It seems that you can change the vehicle class (category) without changing the registration number.

Correct me if I am wrong.

dualperpose_zps50864b7c.jpg

You can but you need to pay it used to be 75K sometime back but now its close to 300K last i heard someone speaking to me about.