• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

High Performance Car Horn

dushanf

Hi all,

Hope you all are doing well and wishing you all a happy new year...!

Please don't misunderstand me with the topic. I try my best to not to use the horn. But sometimes you know some of the (most of the) flipping bus/three wheel/motor bike/lorry drivers cut in to the road from else where and braking might not save you from hitting the vehicle but if you make them heard you are coming then there is some more chance that they might also try to avoid the accident.

I am aware of the new decibel limits but this is to be used as a secondary horn. Where can I get hold of a good high performance horn?

Many thanks,

/Dush

Hi all,

Hope you all are doing well and wishing you all a happy new year...!

Please don't misunderstand me with the topic. I try my best to not to use the horn. But sometimes you know some of the (most of the) flipping bus/three wheel/motor bike/lorry drivers cut in to the road from else where and braking might not save you from hitting the vehicle but if you make them heard you are coming then there is some more chance that they might also try to avoid the accident.

I am aware of the new decibel limits but this is to be used as a secondary horn. Where can I get hold of a good high performance horn?

Many thanks,

/Dush

I recently upgraded mine to a Hella setup,

118 Decibels,

Or else you can go with the Hella Supertones, bit rash for me

A notch higher and you can go with an air horn setup, vacuum operated rather complicated,

http://www.hella.com/hella-sg/assets/media/Hella_Horns_Brochure_LoRes.pdf

check the link, most of these horns are locally available, tad bit costly

There is a DIY thread by Schiffer, check that out too

There is a OEM Denso horn pair stock in certain trim Full Size SUVs (Nissan Patrol, Land Cruiser 200) Extremely loud if u can source one, prone to annoy others though.

In reality a secondary horn is hard to use, as the switch will be located in the dash probably, in emergencies you'll pretty much end up jumping on the wheel button, a better choice would be to use a two-way switch, to select which horn is powered by the steering wheel switch.

Was stock in some merc and euros.

All the best!

Edited by tiv

This is nothing to be proud of but I thought to share my experience, because I had noticable difference as a daily driver in both Colombo and Kandy during peak hours.

I drove the car without horn for about 3 months, due to a fault. However I was extra cautious and mindfull all the time. Adjusting my self to drive without horn reduced the level of stress and anger in drving. I took almost zero risk in overtaking, not cutting the lanes and not honking for others mistakes. Trust me it has changed my driving style and now I hardly use it.

• Like 7

Not to argue, I driven over 1000km in several countries including India,

Sadly using a horn frequently is pretty much a must in our country,

People tend to be burdened and distracted with current times and fail to keep attention to the road,

plus how do we know what mentality the other fellow driver is in let it be car bus bike whatever?

Once I lost a reasonably expensive OEM snorkel, to a 3 wheel, his fault, driving all over the road, my fault? not sounding the horn loud enough. I got 15000 off my lousy insurance, which I replaced soon after, anyway a simple tap on the horn could have avoided this

So in countries like ours, I prefer to have a decent horn, not annoyingly loud, but enough to keep others aware, for safety of both parties.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 3

[OT, but following the trend]

I try not to use the horn, it's very antithetical to me. But OTOH, I tend to drive reasonably (or unreasonably, as many here would see it) fast and I'm constantly surprising the drivers who are either going to do something illegal or careless on the roads. So unfortunately because of the those who can't keep their focus or follow the motoring basics, including pedestrians - you either have to use the horn or face an accident.

The iffy question is should you be using the horn to get your way - i.e. when someone is hogging an otherwise clear right lane, do you use the horn or do you just take the risk and overtake on the left (lane)?

I use the horn sparingly. Often just to warn someone of my presence, like when someone is reversing on to the road, and I'm travelling too fast to stop. But I do not lean on it when someone cuts me off or a pedestrian runs in front of me, because pointless stress. I just take it as accepted.

I use the horn sparingly as well, usually just a tap to alert somebody to my presence. If its ignored and if I feel an accident might happen, I would probably hold it down for a bit longer.

Funny enough people tell me all the time "It must be really hard to drive in SL after driving in the UK", and I say "Nonsense, I learned to drive in SL so I'm pretty used to it, and I find it less stressful, because usually I only can keep my attention on the road and focus, in the UK I have to keep my attention on the road, on changing speed limits, safety cameras, box junctions with cameras, traffic lights with cameras, keeping to the correct line etc etc, a lot of information to process". They did an experiment recently of reducing clutter on the road by taking signage etc out, and it led to far better traffic flow and less accidents. Sadly due to political reasons, it has not been adopted all over.

Admins, can't we have a poll on this? based on various horn habits,

may help us soften the ol' road rage when the hillbilly behind stands on his horn trigger

may help us soften the ol' road rage when the hillbilly behind stands on his horn trigger

either that or someone can give like a guideline on when and when not to use the horns ;)

personally i use the horn on pedestrians who walk on the main road, people who are reverseing to main roads and blind bends.

I don't seem to have an add poll option. You might have to open a new thread with a poll if you want one.

Not to argue, I driven over 1000km in several countries including India,

Sadly using a horn frequently is pretty much a must in our country,

People tend to be burdened and distracted with current times and fail to keep attention to the road,

plus how do we know what mentality the other fellow driver is in let it be car bus bike whatever?

Once I lost a reasonably expensive OEM snorkel, to a 3 wheel, his fault, driving all over the road, my fault? not sounding the horn loud enough. I got 15000 off my lousy insurance, which I replaced soon after, anyway a simple tap on the horn could have avoided this

So in countries like ours, I prefer to have a decent horn, not annoyingly loud, but enough to keep others aware, for safety of both parties.

1+ here too

i almost always tap the horn when overtaking tuk tuks and bikers as most of them tend to swerve without any prior warning. And a knock will almost always be more harsher on them.

• Like 1