• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Can I Avoid Body Scratches In A Black Colored Vehicle?

Ralph

Good day guys,

I recently bought a black (body) colored vehicle & struggling to keep the body scratch free, A tiny dust particle do a visible mark even if you are careful when wash. Learned that it is the color which highlights the scratch marks mainly?

Is there any way to avoid this? Is scratch free stickers really working? Any experience guys.

Thanks in advance.

Good day guys,

I recently bought a black (body) colored vehicle & struggling to keep the body scratch free, A tiny dust particle do a visible mark even if you are careful when wash. Learned that it is the color which highlights the scratch marks mainly?

Is there any way to avoid this? Is scratch free stickers really working? Any experience guys.

Thanks in advance.

I have a black car as well. The very fine swirl marks you see is not something you need to worry about. Every car gets them but on black seen from a certain angle it might be more obvious.

They are very fine micro scratches that even a polisher may leave, and its natural to get them over time. Don't rub the car too hard and wax after polishing or use a liquid wax mixed car wash. And if you don't obsess about it you wont see them.

This is a common issue with all the VEHICLES specially with the black body paint, i have used the transparent wrap on the silver truck and Matt black for the car i use daily. its a BIG cost at the first place but you gain a good price when you resell the vehicle.

i used the below people in New Zealand to get this done.

http://www.carfolie.co.nz

I hope you can get a general idea from this link above, and hope this is available in SL

Supermarket scratch, highway stone chips is common for most of the vehicles in NZ so its looks bad and also get rusted if it really bad, so with this just remove the wrap when you sell and you will see the original paint with no scratch marks. and also you can do the rubber spray on your alloy wheel to minimize the curb marks.

Hope this help you.....

regards

JC

• Like 1

I cannot understand the logic behind the use of a transparent wrap to protect the exterior paint of a vehicle unless it is used for off-road purposes. Your vehicle would not retain the same look or get an enhanced look once you have an additional film on it. Of course it would come handy when you want to sell the vehicle but what guarantee you have that you wouldn't have to repaint it later on due to scratches that goes beyond simple swirl marks? I had to at least partially repaint all the cars used for around 5 years before selling. Of course I keep the plastic interior parts protected with a film.Bur for the exterior wouldn't it be more logical and cheaper to repaint whatever scratches, damages etc at the time of selling after enjoying the car and its appearance as it is, than wrapping it?

I dont understand how you are going to use scratch free stickers. are you planning to cover the whole body or part of it ?

some time back I saw those scratch free stickers to be sold in myd*al.lk, but they were to be used to protect underneath of the door handles.

I dnt think there is a way to avoid those little scratches and micro damages on the body. because sometimes they were mad by small stones hit by other vehicle's tyres.

Just ignore those little scratches and that'd make you are free from the headache IMO.

Having owned two black cars, I think black is one of the most difficult colours to maintain.

Some of the things you can do to prevent from scratching the paint while washing the car are:

1. Never use a cloth or duster to remove dust on the car. If the car is dusty, wash it.

2. If you are washing a dusty\muddy car, make sure you rinse away the dust\mud before running a sponge or cloth over the paint.

3. After rubbing off mud, rinse the cloth\sponge well to avoid running the same cloth on other areas.

4. Use a microfiber cloth to wipe the car.

I cannot understand the logic behind the use of a transparent wrap to protect the exterior paint of a vehicle unless it is used for off-road purposes. Your vehicle would not retain the same look or get an enhanced look once you have an additional film on it. Of course it would come handy when you want to sell the vehicle but what guarantee you have that you wouldn't have to repaint it later on due to scratches that goes beyond simple swirl marks? I had to at least partially repaint all the cars used for around 5 years before selling. Of course I keep the plastic interior parts protected with a film.Bur for the exterior wouldn't it be more logical and cheaper to repaint whatever scratches, damages etc at the time of selling after enjoying the car and its appearance as it is, than wrapping it?

This warp is not famous in SL may be because its cheaper to repaint the car than wrap but its different in here also due to the weather condition in NZ paint or clear coat peeling is common so to prevent this its the best practice to do so + some like the matt black than the shine black so rather paint the whole car its a good option to wrap

regards

JC

What I cannot understand is why do people want to protect the car for the next owner???

Same here plus car seat covers for leather all this local BS to protect the car because the first priority many locals have is the resale value. not to actually enjoy the damn vehicle.

A tough clear coat might help.

Its the clear coat that shows swirl marks. To be honest it does not matter. If you polish it carefully, it goes away, but some swirl marks are unavoidable.

Its like getting dust or sand on the car or inside the car. Its a side efect of normal usage. If you become too precious about things like this, you cannot use a car let alone anything.... The only option available is to wrap the car in cling film and take the bus to work.

Edited by The Don

Over here people wrap the whole car for paint protection. It's basically a clear vinyl. But it's quite expensive so only more exotic cars get the treatment. I don't see the point though, once the vinyl gets exposed to road grime, the car ends up looking weathered anyway. Proper wash/wax/polish and umtimately a respray over time seems more practical.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

One method to avoid scratches is to use the two bucket method. I.E have one bucket with whatever detergent you have in it, and the other used to rinse the cloth after each swipe. Wet the car/panel before hand, and use microfibre cloths. Depending on how anal you are, you could get a grit-guard for the rinsing bucket so that dirt doesn't surface in the water. Keeping the car waxed is a good idea too.

Car care is a lengthy process, but it's usually at the washing stage where such fine scratches and swirl-marks come. which is why sometimes I go longer than I should without washing just so I can get the time to do a proper job. Also, car's are meant to be driven :P

Fix it pens are usually for clear coat scratches. So if the scratch is deep that it has reached the base coat, primer or the sheet metal itself, then the pen will not work.

In such cases you'll need a scratch repair kit which usually consists of the base and clear coat in bottles with an application brush. Some come as pens also I guess.