• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

SMadu

Hi Experts,

I'm writing this on behalf of my brother.

There is a requirement to purchase a Diesel \ Hubrid SUV for around 6 m. We would like to get a registered one which has been used for few years. Following are the models we considered.

KIA Sorento

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Mitsubishi Outlander

Among the above 3, Sorento is the preferred one at the moment. But we have a concern regarding the durability of it since the plan is to use for about 4 - 5 years what we will buy.

Vezel is not an option because of my brother does not like its size and look. (A real SUV ?)

Appreciate if you can support us to get a better decision on our purchase.

When I am buying SUV , I had the option of Montero sport and sorento, I took the option of Sorento because of its comfort, as sport seems to me bouncy and also many ppl said its built on pick up chasy and prone to be discomfort, since I ran few test runs also and felt the same .

I don't see any issues durability so far and also one of my uncle uses a 2010 sorento and i did search for any issues and most of posts said 2012 version above are more good rather older ones. so led to bring a 2012 for me.

Like what Magnum said the only 'real' SUV in your list is the Montero Sport. The others are softroaders. If it is softroaders you are looking at can't you find a XTrail clean diesel (u might have to stretch your budget a bit)? Any particular reason u want a diesel? Cause for your budget (even less) there is a whole host of petrol softroaders.

Yeah you should consider petrols as well since the price of super diesel isn't too far from petrol at the momnt.

Also the Sorento has a steering issue that can sometimes make the vehicle veer to the right I believe. But apart from that its a fairly trouble free vehicle I believe.

Like what Magnum said the only 'real' SUV in your list is the Montero Sport. The others are softroaders. If it is softroaders you are looking at can't you find a XTrail clean diesel (u might have to stretch your budget a bit)? Any particular reason u want a diesel? Cause for your budget (even less) there is a whole host of petrol softroaders.

Not that the others are bad...Sorento is a crossover with AWD and Mont. Sport is a SUV with 4WD

I'd go with the Montero Sport, the engine is 4D56 based,

and the true the chassis is derived from the Triton / L200 but has the advantages as well.

Better ground clearance, off road performance, less complicated, easy to maintain and cheaper bits.

In terms of comfort, due to the Live axle setup it will rattle your teeth off given the conditions, But the coils rather than pickup leaf springs help.

I'd go with the Montero Sport, the engine is 4D56 based,

and the true the chassis is derived from the Triton / L200 but has the advantages as well.

Better ground clearance, off road performance, less complicated, easy to maintain and cheaper bits.

In terms of comfort, due to the Live axle setup it will rattle your teeth off given the conditions, But the coils rather than pickup leaf springs help.

and you forgot to mention that the interior is made out of recycled toothpaste tubes and soap dishes...and the coils are off of a bakki karatte. But ys..it is a better vehicle for off-roading. COnsidering how the OP is focussing on "options" I doubt off-roading is on the table. Perhaps a long trip or two....

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

and you forgot to mention that the interior is made out of recycled toothpaste tubes and soap dishes...and the coils are off of a bakki karatte. But ys..it is a better vehicle for off-roading. COnsidering how the OP is focussing on "options" I doubt off-roading is on the table. Perhaps a long trip or two....

Dont make it sound really dude :P

My uncle has one, I know it doesnt have the bells and whistles of Sorento or the comfort, but you can live with it

As the OP is fine with a registered hybrid why not 2007 Harrier hybrid?

Correct me if i'm wrong, I believe Harrier hybrid is same as RX450h? If that's correct i don't think its going to meet his requirements right? Bcos he needs a real SUV. In RX450h its AWD so it only has regular Traction and Stability control with added Hybrid snow mode. You won't be able to select controls like 2WD, 4H, 4L, etc.. for off road needs that you will get in real SUVs with 4WD..

Pls correct me if i'm wrong..

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your responses. As with your responses we would like to consider about Harrier Hybrid and X-Trail as well. The main reason to consider a diesel or hybrid vehicle is the cost. I believe a SUV would need more power and hence more fuel consumption when it is petrol.

Even though we are looking for a SUV, my brother will not try to use it for hard off-road rides. Therefore we can give more marks for the comfort as well. But a vehicle like Vezzel is not an option.

He can stretch the budget a little (few hundred thousands) but not much more.

Would it be possible to get a Harrier Hybrid for that budget when it is only few years old?

What is the better way of prioritizing the available choices?

KIA Sorento

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Mitsubishi Outlander

Toyota Harrier Hybrid

Nissan X-Trail

Well I am no expert but I am somewhat hearing a bit of contradiction here. Aren't diesel vehicles inherently more expensive in SL compared to petrol vehicles ?

Also, going by old diesels I am used to maintaining it would be a bit more of a task than a gasoline (presuming that you find a well maintained one in the first place). Thus, although the price of diesel might be a bit lower wouldn't the overall ownership costs of it be equal to or even greater than that of a petrol ? Besides, if you are not going to use the vehicle on long journeys or even tugging heavy trailers/load around would you really need a diesel ?<basically if this is going ot be Crossover that is going ot be stuck more time in traffic than working it might not be financially sensible to go for a diesel)

The MHU3x series Harrier hybrid comes with a 3400cc engine which with the help of the HSD would give you fuel economy close to that of a RAV4 or X-Trail (roughly...sometimes less based on what I have heard), so in reality it really does not change that much in fuel costs between a petrol 2400cc RAV4/CR-V / 2000++cc X-trail petrol and a Harrier Hybrid. Besides, I would reckon the Harrier Hybrid would be a bit more expensive than a RAV4/X-Trail/CR-V of the same vintage <again..speculating here..might actually be cheaper to buy because Sri Lankans are afraid of large engines.>?

I'm also not an expert, but I did a bit of browsing in both NA and APAC Sorento forums when I bought mine (a petrol) and the general consensus is that with the DPF fitted the diesel engine is not recommended for very short trips (<20mins/15km) in city. The issue stems from the engine and DPF not reaching optimal operational temperature. You wont see anything immediately but the DPF will get clogged eventually and long term engine maintenance would be high.

But I'm not sure if the older (before 2014) Sorentos sold in SL had DPF's.

Price wise, KIA motors recently sold a bunch of 2012 B/N Sorento's which had been held at customs for 18 months; the petrol fully loaded was at 5.3M (attracts semi-luxury tax) and the diesel fully loaded was 6.7M. The petrol does about 6kmpl in city and 9 outstation, while the diesel does 10 on average.

They don't import petrols anymore and the 2015 2.2 CRDi is priced at 8.2M.

I'm also not an expert, but I did a bit of browsing in both NA and APAC Sorento forums when I bought mine (a petrol) and the general consensus is that with the DPF fitted the diesel engine is not recommended for very short trips (<20mins/15km) in city. The issue stems from the engine and DPF not reaching optimal operational temperature. You wont see anything immediately but the DPF will get clogged eventually and long term engine maintenance would be high.

Price wise, KIA motors recently sold a bunch of 2012 B/N Sorento's which had been held at customs for 18 months; the petrol fully loaded was at 5.3M (attracts semi-luxury tax) and the diesel fully loaded was 6.7M. The petrol does about 6kmpl in city and 9 outstation, while the diesel does 10 on average.

I bought my sorento for 6.5 M with all 1-10 options 2012 diesel 2nd hand with low mileage and you can also buy less than that if you go for 2011 or 2010, lots of i see in autolanka and other forums for selling ,if you go for 2012 check whether warranty exist, it will be valuable too for that price....

Vishkid, if you have a vehicle with a DPF, irrespective of the brand you need to follow a certain maintenance structure to save you the hassle of high bills.

If your vehicle does a lot of trips, at least once a week you should take the vehicle for at least a 1/2 hour trip at motorway speeds, and give it an "italian tune up" as in accelorate aggressively. This will help the DPF regenerate and keep it in relatively good shape. There is obviously no need for this if the car has regular long trips.

DPF equiped cars and diesels for that matter only make sense if you do high miles and longer journeys. Else a petrol will offer cheaper total cost of ownership.

Hi All,

Thanks you very much for your valuable inputs. We will discuss based on your responses and select the vehicle. Most probably we would go to a Sorento OR Montero Sports. But X-Trail will also be considered.

I will update this thread after purchasing the vehicle.

Vishkid, if you have a vehicle with a DPF, irrespective of the brand you need to follow a certain maintenance structure to save you the hassle of high bills.

If your vehicle does a lot of trips, at least once a week you should take the vehicle for at least a 1/2 hour trip at motorway speeds, and give it an "italian tune up" as in accelorate aggressively. This will help the DPF regenerate and keep it in relatively good shape. There is obviously no need for this if the car has regular long trips.

DPF equiped cars and diesels for that matter only make sense if you do high miles and longer journeys. Else a petrol will offer cheaper total cost of ownership.

Some people are removing the DPF unit, I wouldn't do that though :sad-smiley-066: