• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Insight Battery Price

RRokz

Guys..

I'm willing to buy 2010 Honda insight. i have one concern with Hybrid system battery since almost 5 years old. what would be the cost for replace battery ??

How did you get to know about the status of the battery? First get it checked by Stafford and then decide. ramishkad has explained several times on how to check the performance of it. You may refer the following link. http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/16461-honda-civic-hybrid-fd3/

How did you get to know about the status of the battery? First get it checked by Stafford and then decide. ramishkad has explained several times on how to check the performance of it. You may refer the following link. http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/16461-honda-civic-hybrid-fd3/

The fact is the batteries start to fail around the 5 year mark. Some seem to last a bit longer, but when making a purchase it is not such a bad thing to budget for potential maintenance rather than be caught with your pants down.

Just because a battery is found to be functioning well today does not mean the same will be true in 3 months time. They do fall off a cliff if you get my drift.

The fact is the batteries start to fail around the 5 year mark. Some seem to last a bit longer, but when making a purchase it is not such a bad thing to budget for potential maintenance rather than be caught with your pants down.

Just because a battery is found to be functioning well today does not mean the same will be true in 3 months time. They do fall off a cliff if you get my drift.

That's true Don. Any way it is better to get the fly wheel also checked. Once my insight halted and I had to take it to the agents on a carrier and had to replace the fly wheel. As per the service manager Ajith, fly wheel issue seems to come up in Insight and City models.

my friend imported a battery ( via stafford) for his Hybrid civic (FD ...) and the freight cost was 175,000.00. The battery was given free ( manu defect) but had to pay for freight.

How did he get the battery free if i may ask? Did he have warranty from Stafford?

Apparently Honda Japan did respect some warranty claims made for premature battery failures. The procedure was to basically submit a claim after getting a battery report from Stafford.

Sadly they had only respected battery replacement claims for JDM vehicles (and any sold officially by Stafford in SL). They had denied claims made for vehicles imported from the UK claiming it was never meant to be used in the Asian region. Don't really know the logic behind that .............

Apparently Honda Japan did respect some warranty claims made for premature battery failures. The procedure was to basically submit a claim after getting a battery report from Stafford.

Sadly they had only respected battery replacement claims for JDM vehicles (and any sold officially by Stafford in SL). They had denied claims made for vehicles imported from the UK claiming it was never meant to be used in the Asian region. Don't really know the logic behind that .............

Haha. Good to hear they at least respected some claims. Hopefully when times comes to replace my battery I can give it a shot too, although knowing Stafford i dont have high hopes :D

The original Honda warranty for a hybrid battery is 8 years and 150000 miles as i remember. I wish they had it in SL for imported units.

Yeah that's the warranty they had honoured. And I think I'll feel confident since as I know most claims were honoured.

My friend who made the claim was unsuccessful because his Civic hybrid was intended for the UK market.

Quite alarming though the percentage of batteries failing within 5 years particularly on the Civic. He bought the car for 4.6 million and sold it for 3.1 as he had to leave the country for an extended period for work and did not want to leave a hybrid on ice....

Yeah that's the warranty they had honoured. And I think I'll feel confident since as I know most claims were honoured.

My friend who made the claim was unsuccessful because his Civic hybrid was intended for the UK market.

Quite alarming though the percentage of batteries failing within 5 years particularly on the Civic. He bought the car for 4.6 million and sold it for 3.1 as he had to leave the country for an extended period for work and did not want to leave a hybrid on ice....

Good to hear about the warranty. I had no clue Stafford were honoring at least some of them. But I dont get why they would give warranty for JDM version run in SL and not give for the UK version run in the same conditions. Makes no sense to me.

Yeah the Civic is a pretty bad car to have parked around. I read in my service manual it says if the car remains unused for more than 30 days straight the battery cells can get permanent damage. Imagine what happens to those that sit around in car lots after being imported. It serves well as long as you run high miles with it I guess.

As Zebra has pointed out, the Warranties were honoured by Honda Japan not Stafford. Obviously Honda Japan had sold the JDM vehicles, but technically it was Honda UK which had sold the UK imports. I don't think anybody has tried to contact Honda UK but its possible they will be reasonable too.

Stafford was just the facilitator receiving the import of the battery (for which the owners had to pay freight I think) and installing (which owners had to be labour for I think)

Edited by The Don

• 4 months later...

Good to hear about the warranty. I had no clue Stafford were honoring at least some of them. But I dont get why they would give warranty for JDM version run in SL and not give for the UK version run in the same conditions. Makes no sense to me.

Yeah the Civic is a pretty bad car to have parked around. I read in my service manual it says if the car remains unused for more than 30 days straight the battery cells can get permanent damage. Imagine what happens to those that sit around in car lots after being imported. It serves well as long as you run high miles with it I guess.

Hey ramishka, need some advice. After my regular service at Stafford, I drove upto Town hall and stopped at a shop. When I turned on the car the It did so but with a quite a noise and the IMA indication came with the red colour battery icon. When it was scanned by Stafford, the IMA indication went away for few minutes but came back. They removed my ecu and plugged in one from there stock and went for a test drive. Since the indication did not come again they stated that the ecu is fine. But the advisor said it could be the 'motor rotor sensor' (correct me if I'm wrong) malfunction but he also stated this is the first time they met with such an incident. He told me to bring the car back ( in a carrier) if the IMA indication pops up as the battery will not be charged and it's not good to drive a long distance.

Any thoughts???

Hey ramishka, need some advice. After my regular service at Stafford, I drove upto Town hall and stopped at a shop. When I turned on the car the It did so but with a quite a noise and the IMA indication came with the red colour battery icon. When it was scanned by Stafford, the IMA indication went away for few minutes but came back. They removed my ecu and plugged in one from there stock and went for a test drive. Since the indication did not come again they stated that the ecu is fine. But the advisor said it could be the 'motor rotor sensor' (correct me if I'm wrong) malfunction but he also stated this is the first time they met with such an incident. He told me to bring the car back ( in a carrier) if the IMA indication pops up as the battery will not be charged and it's not good to drive a long distance. Any thoughts???

Hi mate,

When you scanned the car after the issue, did Stafford guys tell you the error code associated with the IMA warning? The IMA indicator comes for many reasons - for example on the civic P1447, P1449 or P1433 error codes generally mean your battery has deteriorated and has low usable capacity. But it comes on for a number of other reasons as well, i.e. bad 12v battery. It would help to know the actual error code in this case.

What is the mileage of the car? And do you notice rapid drops in the state of charge of hybrid battery on the dashboard display? As in if the gauge suddenly drops from 6 bars to 2 or something like that?

When you said you heard a noise, did it sound like a starter motor kicking in when you started the car? This could be the car's conventional starter being used to start the car, instead of the hybrid battery because it's state of charge had dropped below the required limit.

By the way, you dont need to use a carrier to move it to Stafford if only the IMA indicator and CEL are flashing. This is only needed if the red battery light also flashes alongside the IMA , which means your 12V battery is draining and not charging. It's safe to drive to Stafford with IMA and CEL.

Hi mate,

When you scanned the car after the issue, did Stafford guys tell you the error code associated with the IMA warning? The IMA indicator comes for many reasons - for example on the civic P1447, P1449 or P1433 error codes generally mean your battery has deteriorated and has low usable capacity. But it comes on for a number of other reasons as well, i.e. bad 12v battery. It would help to know the actual error code in this case.

What is the mileage of the car? And do you notice rapid drops in the state of charge of hybrid battery on the dashboard display? As in if the gauge suddenly drops from 6 bars to 2 or something like that?

When you said you heard a noise, did it sound like a starter motor kicking in when you started the car? This could be the car's conventional starter being used to start the car, instead of the hybrid battery because it's state of charge had dropped below the required limit.

By the way, you dont need to use a carrier to move it to Stafford if only the IMA indicator and CEL are flashing. This is only needed if the red battery light also flashes alongside the IMA , which means your 12V battery is draining and not charging. It's safe to drive to Stafford with IMA and CEL.

Hi ramishka, guys at Stafford did not give me an error code. I cannot check the status of the battery as I do not have a multifunction steering wheel. But during a journey involved heavy traffic, the battery gets charged for about three minutes while the rpm is at 2.

You are spot on about the comment made on starting the car.

The IMA comes up in the display along with the red battery light.

Stafford guys also said what you stated. The battery is not getting charged due to faulty sensor in 'motor rotor'

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, chathuranga.s said:

Dear friends,

Has anyone visited " hybrid hub" or any idea. I'm planning to go there for a hybrid system / battery scan for my fit gp1

Did you visit Stafford or is this the first time you're taking the car for a scan?

1 hour ago, chathuranga.s said:

Hi Crishan,

The car was maintained through Stafford for the last 3 1/2 years since I bought it un registered. Did a scan around 2 years before and the usable capacity was 51%

If so why won't you get the scan done from Stafford?

2 hours ago, Crishan said:

If so why won't you get the scan done from Stafford?

Serviced the car last week and asked them to do the scan. They told its not required since the car is performing aright.

Got to know since hybrid hub people are specialized on hybrids, just thought of visiting them to see what they deliver

3 hours ago, chathuranga.s said:

Serviced the car last week and asked them to do the scan. They told its not required since the car is performing aright.

Got to know since hybrid hub people are specialized on hybrids, just thought of visiting them to see what they deliver

IMG_1467.JPG

Well this is off topic but regarding the fact that the model was intended to be used in UK or let say outside SL or Asia... does anything have to do with climate like integrity of wiring as such?

this is in relation to electronics and not mainly focused on cars but i got my self a Bose in-earphones and after couple of years the wiring (rubber insulation) is brittle and is peeling off, cracked etc. BUT other units sold here seems to be doing okay.

So maybe this applies here as well for other electronics / cars too, any thoughts?

Edited by Muditha420

11 hours ago, chathuranga.s said:

Hi Crishan,

The car was maintained through Stafford for the last 3 1/2 years since I bought it un registered. Did a scan around 2 years before and the usable capacity was 51%

What's the issue now? The agent says the car is OK but you are looking for someone else to find a fault with it. What's the logic behind all this?