• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4Wd For 2 Million

Hpmt

Question

I am planning to buy a 4WD as a second vehical. Fuel consumption is not a problem. Should be a good off road vehicle that can be used inside national park roads.

I searched and found only Double Cabs (Hilux, L200, Nissan) and Nissan X-trail (2000) as only options. But I doubt whether X-trail can be used for serious off roading.

I am afraid an old double cab may give me a trouble middle of nowhere.

What will be the best bet. Can anybody suggest me a better option?

I am planning to buy a 4WD as a second vehical. Fuel consumption is not a problem. Should be a good off road vehicle that can be used inside national park roads.

I searched and found only Double Cabs (Hilux, L200, Nissan) and Nissan X-trail (2000) as only options. But I doubt whether X-trail can be used for serious off roading.

Get an LN106/107 Hilux, have it checked out properly and you will have no issues. Simple and ultra tough machines.

The X-trail has a better AWD system than a RAV4 and a CR-V but it would not even come close to a proper 4wd like a Hilux. Something like a Vitara has a proper 4WD system like the Hilux, etc.. but it doesn't have the ground clearance as a proper 4WD. Having used a few and come across a lot more Hiluxes (Hiluxie ?) for work in quite a few places I can safely say those things are indestructible. Which also is its problem as most of the ones I believe have been abused by previous owners.

Get an LN106/107 Hilux, have it checked out properly and you will have no issues. Simple and ultra tough machines.
The X-trail has a better AWD system than a RAV4 and a CR-V but it would not even come close to a proper 4wd like a Hilux. Something like a Vitara has a proper 4WD system like the Hilux, etc.. but it doesn't have the ground clearance as a proper 4WD. Having used a few and come across a lot more Hiluxes (Hiluxie ?) for work in quite a few places I can safely say those things are indestructible. Which also is its problem as most of the ones I believe have been abused by previous owners.

Why not go for a Hilux surf/ Emperor? Best of both worlds

As far as I know there only a very few original Hilux Surfs around...most are the 2nd gen Hilux Surfs which were assembled in Sri Lanka.

Yea thats why I mentioned Emperor, they came with PX-XXXX numbers, aren't they good enough? except for the in-vain auto transmission? A friend thrashes one regularly off-road,

edit; Just checked they run above 3mil, my bad

Edited by tiv

Hello Hpmt

I can confirm the idea from IRage about the x-trail, its AWD system is much capable than RAV4, CRV but second to the PAJERO IO, try find a short wheel base IO with Manual tans as io comes with a separate transfer case with C.Diff lock but 1 problem, Mitsubishi GDI engine is a trouble maker so if you are not sure about this stay away.

Another good option is a Suzuki Jimny, This got all the characteristics that serious mudder needs, Solid axle, separate transfer case, proper low range gear, short wheel base, light weight and from 98 still the same body i am telling this with my experience and this will take you anywhere and you can find latest model Jimny under 20lks ( Try find a manual gear with latest engine after 2003)

How about LJ70 short wheel,if you try hard you can find a body permit imports with a 1KZ engine i am sure you won't disappoint with LJ70 :smilie_liebe9:

I have seen some recommendations with SURF, KZN130 with 1KZ engine is a good machine for off road stuff but make sure engine is 1kz not 2L turbo as its a running time bomb :speechless-smiley-004: its not worth to fix the radiator + trans oil cooler + large exhaust to save a gut less engine, but not sure about its fit to your price range

Hope this will help you

regards

JC

Hello Hpmt

I can confirm the idea from IRage about the x-trail, its AWD system is much capable than RAV4, CRV but second to the PAJERO IO, try find a short wheel base IO with Manual tans as io comes with a separate transfer case with C.Diff lock but 1 problem, Mitsubishi GDI engine is a trouble maker so if you are not sure about this stay away.

Another good option is a Suzuki Jimny, This got all the characteristics that serious mudder needs, Solid axle, separate transfer case, proper low range gear, short wheel base, light weight and from 98 still the same body i am telling this with my experience and this will take you anywhere and you can find latest model Jimny under 20lks ( Try find a manual gear with latest engine after 2003)

How about LJ70 short wheel,if you try hard you can find a body permit imports with a 1KZ engine i am sure you won't disappoint with LJ70 :smilie_liebe9:

I have seen some recommendations with SURF, KZN130 with 1KZ engine is a good machine for off road stuff but make sure engine is 1kz not 2L turbo as its a running time bomb :speechless-smiley-004: its not worth to fix the radiator + trans oil cooler + large exhaust to save a gut less engine, but not sure about its fit to your price range

Hope this will help you

regards

JC

Maybe a bit off topic, but may benefit us all, of course I'm all hands in for the 1KZ, I've heard the 2L-T is a mess, but some talk highly of it as it runs on a 2L base, can you please drop in an idea of the issues in it JC?

Yea thats why I mentioned Emperor, they came with PX-XXXX numbers, aren't they good enough? except for the in-vain auto transmission? A friend thrashes one regularly off-road,

edit; Just checked they run above 3mil, my bad

Toyota/Emperor Surf owner here. Fully upgraded, and take it on serious off-road trails regularly. KZN130 which comes with the 1KZ-TE engine. Would not hesitate to recommend but you can't get one in the region of 2mil.

Toyota/Emperor Surf owner here. Fully upgraded, and take it on serious off-road trails regularly. KZN130 which comes with the 1KZ-TE engine. Would not hesitate to recommend but you can't get one in the region of 2mil.

OT, is this the model which came with TEMS (Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension)?

2.4 model and the 3.0 models are looks same but if the truck comes with 2LT the chassis plate says LN130 and KNZ130 with the 1KZ-TE, Pls correct me if i am wrong

Maybe a bit off topic, but may benefit us all, of course I'm all hands in for the 1KZ, I've heard the 2L-T is a mess, but some talk highly of it as it runs on a 2L base, can you please drop in an idea of the issues in it JC?

Some says 2L is solid as 3L but for me or for my mates its never been, Once old gentleman sell his truck to my mate and said "Pls dont overheat it and should be fine" but HOW? as my first and last 2.4 overheated. mine was overheated on highway and got a free ride from a tow truck back to home and few of my mates blows the head while enjoying...... factory exhaust pipe blocking the exhaust a lot and that make a huge pressure and raise the temp

Main issue with ours temp gauge is not indicate the correct temp, indicates the half on the gauge but water is boiling on other side..... lol and same for my friends too.

Not sure if its worth to fix as its gone cost as same as a 1kz engine to prevent the overheating issue with 2LTE

1. Replace temp gauge and sender

2. Replace with large bore exhaust 3" is nice

3. replace with a alloy large radiator + external fan and if its a auto gear pls use a external trans oil cooler

regards

JC

• Like 1

OT, is this the model which came with TEMS (Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension)?

I don't exactly know, but it used to have hard & soft suspension modes. However, I don't have that anymore after upgrading with an off-road suspension & lift kit.

My idea as per below, basically SURF with different grades

SSR-V no red door lights and the spare wheel mount under the body

SSR-X

SSR-X Limited (For sure you get the recaro interior + red door lamps on this model and the back door mounted spare wheel) i have seen the adjustable shocks only on this model and the SSR-G model not with the other two

SSR-G Privacy glass 2 tone paint winter pack and a double battery is a must on G grade

not sure the adjustable shocks is from TEMS but its only with the SSR-X Ltd and SSR-G

regards

JC