• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diy Horn Instalation/replacing

Schiffer

A very simple and small guide to install or replace a pair of horns

Things you need:

• Gloves (Which i didnt have)
  • Wrenches 12mm and 10mm
  • Screwdriver
  • plier

ugFSErh.jpg

First to gain easier access, remove the front grill. usually this is held down by couple of screws.

0VVF06r.jpg

After the grill is out of the way, first remove the wire clips and then remove the old horns with the bracket

Caution: The earth wire is screwed in with the bold holding the bracket, make sure not to drop it (which i did and had heck of time finding it under the sump gaurd fiber cover)

sNlmiq3.jpg

Next assemble the new brackets to the new horns and put the bolt in with the earth wire to the bracket.

xWY9kWt.jpg

Then install the horn to the car and plug in both wires to the pins

jnZd2T7.jpg

repeat the same process for the other side and its done

HpSwzAd.jpg

After fixing both horns go for a small test drive. in mine i found out after removing and putting the clips repeatedly they have loosened up.

if so take a plier (aduwa) and very gently squeeze the clip of the wire and check whether it stays on properly.

Caution: do not put too much force to the clip or you wont be able to insert it into the pins.

TqyUl1x.jpg

Its a small very simple job that you can do it yourself where a electricion charges around 500 bucks to install.

Note: in the pair of horns i bought it didnt come with a relay,

• Like 1

Machan I recommend you install a relay, as these horns draw more more than the stock ones, you'll end up burning the horn switch contacts inside the steering wheel

Remove the horns, press the horn switch, if you don't hear a relay click, you need to wire one in and draw current straight from the battery via a (15A) fused line

Did this few years ago in one of my cars blindly, now it needs a new steering or the horn switch bits.

Recently installed a Hella unit in my Hilux, took precautions with a relay, bought a Bosch relay separately.

Edited by tiv

ill check and will do bro, thanks for the advice.

Update:

@tiv - i checked and There is a stock relay on the car. as the original denso horns were kinda powerfull too, so i guess it will be enough

Edited by Schiffer

ill check and will do bro, thanks for the advice.

Update:

@tiv - i checked and There is a stock relay on the car. as the original denso horns were kinda powerfull too, so i guess it will be enough

Haha good, better hold on to them then,

Machan I recommend you install a relay, as these horns draw more more than the stock ones, you'll end up burning the horn switch contacts inside the steering wheel

Remove the horns, press the horn switch, if you don't hear a relay click, you need to wire one in and draw current straight from the battery via a (15A) fused line

Did this few years ago in one of my cars blindly, now it needs a new steering or the horn switch bits.

Recently installed a Hella unit in my Hilux, took precautions with a relay, bought a Bosch relay separately.

What is the function of Horn Relay, tiv?

My car engine room fuse box does not have Horn Relay.

Tell me, do i need to buy one????

(But, Horn works well)

Great write-up Schiffer. Good work!

Most new cars come with a horn relay as far I as I know. I installed a pair of Stebel snail horns a few years back and I followed pretty much the same process as Schiffer. Still works well.

The best way to check if your car has a horn relay is to disconnect both horns (remove the live wire from each horn) and press the horn switch on the steering while listening for a click from the engine bay (especially the fuse box). No click means no relay. It's important to remember that newer cars might come with Triac circuits instead of relays, so you won't hear a click although there is a relay mechanism.

• Like 1

Thanks Davy.

and yeap almost all new cars after mid 90's comes with a relay.

@gnaveendra - try following the steps Davy and TIV mentioned.

I'll update the thread with a video or audio clip of how to check for the relay later.

What is the function of Horn Relay, tiv? My car engine room fuse box does not have Horn Relay. Tell me, do i need to buy one???? (But, Horn works well)

What any relay does is, use a small current to control a larger current bearing circuit,

The deal is presume these horns drag 7-10A to sound up. This current is directly pulled through the horn circuit, via the horn switch or any modern switch where there are tiny dot contacts that conduct the current. As you use along, these contacts burn up and wear off early, rendering the switch faulty, most oem switches are fairly expensive too.

What the relay does is, it uses 0.5-1A to power up a coil electromagnet, which in-turn throws poles in a much larger switch inside the relay with bigger contacts built told hold larger currents, and relays are cheaper to replace too.

As for your setup, most cars come without relays, the horn switch can manage the draw of the standard horns around 5A, if you have the stock setup, u don't need a relay,

But if you are running larger horns (ex. Supertones, etc)

Wire in a relay

In general, adding relays saves the switches improves the current feed to the horn, lights etc

Thanks Davy. and yeap almost all new cars after mid 90's comes with a relay. @gnaveendra - try following the steps Davy and TIV mentioned. I'll update the thread with a video or audio clip of how to check for the relay later.

The Hilux did not have a clicking relay, but the wiring diagram does show a complex setup, maybe Triac, but after using the relay the horn was faster to respond and noticeably louder.

• Like 1

What any relay does is, use a small current to control a larger current bearing circuit,

The deal is presume these horns drag 7-10A to sound up. This current is directly pulled through the horn circuit, via the horn switch or any modern switch where there are tiny dot contacts that conduct the current. As you use along, these contacts burn up and wear off early, rendering the switch faulty, most oem switches are fairly expensive too.

What the relay does is, it uses 0.5-1A to power up a coil electromagnet, which in-turn throws poles in a much larger switch inside the relay with bigger contacts built told hold larger currents, and relays are cheaper to replace too.

As for your setup, most cars come without relays, the horn switch can manage the draw of the standard horns around 5A, if you have the stock setup, u don't need a relay,

But if you are running larger horns (ex. Supertones, etc)

Wire in a relay

In general, adding relays saves the switches improves the current feed to the horn, lights etc

The Hilux did not have a clicking relay, but the wiring diagram does show a complex setup, maybe Triac, but after using the relay the horn was faster to respond and noticeably louder.

Thank you tiv for telling me the importance of Relay switches in preventing costly damage to main parts.

My car engine bay fuse box does not have relay for Horn (original OEM horn).

I spent some time and performed the steps written by Davy. No click sound I heard.

Possibly TRIAC?

And, thank you Schiffer for starting this thread.