• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Great Places To Eat When Driving Outstation

VVTi

I've been there . That was great dining. Yes it is situated between Anuradhapura and Rambewa ,more towards Rambewa.

I think you meant Avissavella-Hatton route. I've travelled on this route many times and I've always stopped at Kitulgala Rest House managed by Ceylon Hotel Corp. Food is pretty good but a bit expensive. But you can enjoy the nice view of Kelani river while dining. When you get to Nuwera-Eliya ,there are pretty good places to dine in ,right in the middle of the town such as De Silva, Rimarco, Milano......

Again about the route- Try to take the route via Ginigathhena, Hatton to Nuwera Eliya. Constructions are completed of Hatton- Nuweraeliya road.

Going to Ginigathhena then to Nawalapitiya and to Nuweraeliya via Gampola is pointless and far. When you are coming back you can come via Ramboda, Pussellewa,Gampola to Colombo

This is a different route, which is pretty good and I discovered it thanks to a friend when there was road work going on at the Hatton stretch.

Back to topic, if you are interested, there is good place in Trinco for both food and accomodation called Hotel Blue Waves at the end of Court Road. It's a small Hotel but if anyone is looking for a place to eat around there, it is a good place. There's another Dutch(?) restaurant nearby (near the harbor entrance) but a bit pricey.

For those travelling between Bandarawela and Nuwara Eliya, there is a superb rotti shop passing the keppitipola town. they serve nice hot rottis with some amazing parippu and unusual mint-katta sambol for breakfast ! yum !

Also for those travelling between Bandarawela and colombo, there is a small hotel passing balangoda town to the left from bandarawela to colombo direction called Maligatenne hotel, they serve some amazing Yelapa and some nice patties.

• Like 1

For those travelling between Bandarawela and Nuwara Eliya, there is a superb rotti shop passing the keppitipola town. they serve nice hot rottis with some amazing parippu and unusual mint-katta sambol for breakfast ! yum !

Also for those travelling between Bandarawela and colombo, there is a small hotel passing balangoda town to the left from bandarawela to colombo direction called Maligatenne hotel, they serve some amazing Yelapa and some nice patties.

Yeah! That place is called Belumgala

I have read fresh water fish mentioned a number of times here. Guys have anybody been able to taste/ buy smoke dried fresh water fish..... I really want to get some!

Yes I have tasted it in Akkraipattu. It is available in the East.

Polonnaruwa: Chillies by Lathpandura & View Dreams Hotel (just look past the silly name)

Anuradhapura: Mango Mango (Alankulama) - they've got some good stuff there, Casserolle (Alankulama)

Trincomalee: Siva's Restaurant near the Nilaveli Beach - brilliant place with good food, they close at 6 in the evening though

View dreams and Mango Mango is frequented by me on my outstation visits to those areas. Trinco place was found online when looking for a place to eat on a recent road trip.

Adding to my list,

Kurunegala - in and out restaurant near the bus stand.

Dambulla - Mahawasala (spicy food, avoid if you don't fancy very spicy food. Spiciest I've had)

• 3 weeks later...

We found an interesting place on a rough out road trip. Just before Chaaya Tranz in Hikka (there is a culvert emptying to the sea just North of Tranz), there is this chap who comes to the beach in a tuk and sets up a small mobile kitchen. Its called Mobile Chef or summin like that. Guy dresses up in full chef costume and serves. Mostly BBQ and stuff like that. Not all that expensive.

• 5 weeks later...

Went to Jaffna in the weekend and found out a place in Stanley Road called "COSY Restaurant".

Good food. If you like you can have a drink (bought from out side) at the place as well. We bought only meat and seafood items and they were all bloody delicious. Prices ranged from 450 to 600 per portion. Highly recommend the "Fried Mutton with Garlic sauce"...

If you like to have a veg diet, "Akshanthai" is also good. Its fairly cheap too. Its located right next to COSY.

Here are the locations.

https://www.google.lk/maps/place/cosy+restaurant/@9.6677462,80.0177787,20z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x3afe54028b074201:0x9cc851b452c207da?hl=en

if you are travelling to Ratnapura and there is a place called "Concord" towards Dela, Nivitigala side... So far excellent food n service. Another place is "Mayura" in Matara (have to take the sea side road for this) ... no complaints yet on that too

Yes Mayura is good. If you are taking the beach road-Matara, there's another fine place towards the top of the hill. Name is "Pearl Cliff". Good for a big crowd as they have a Large dining area outside with a nice view of the sea from top of the hill. The place is used for weddings, so sometimes it wont be available.

Best thing is that they serve veri juice.. :P prices are also not that high also.

Yes Mayura is good. If you are taking the beach road-Matara, there's another fine place towards the top of the hill. Name is "Pearl Cliff". Good for a big crowd as they have a Large dining area outside with a nice view of the sea from top of the hill. The place is used for weddings, so sometimes it wont be available.

Best thing is that they serve veri juice.. :P prices are also not that high also.

I often go to Matara but on the E1 and found difficult to find a good place to eat in Matara.

Tried Perera & Sons on someone's recommendation but it was not upto the mark.

Can someone give me the directions to Mayura as well as Pearl Cliff please?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by KingSasanka

• 3 weeks later...
This isn't exactly outstation, but there is this great tiny kadey here with super food, pretty cheap too. Super Black Pork Curry.

https://www.google.lk/maps/@6.8495231,79.8966872,18z?hl=en

It's called B-Leaf or summin like that.

B Leaf it is, not quite a tiny kade either, its a pretty spacious joint. I can also confirm that their food is pretty damned good!

Kandy to Anuradhapura:

1. Chamikra Restaurant in Balakaduwa pass: Food & price is average. But hygienic.It is the only grade "A" eating place around the area.

2.BurgerInn in Matale: Food is good. Their submarine is close to Dine-more. Price also.

3.Sangraha in Nalanda: Food is good and pricy. Rice & Curry, Chinese & western stuff available.

4. Gangasiri Medura in Pannampitiya: Food is above average. Prices reasonable/cheap.Rice & Curry, "localized" chinese & western food available.

5.Benthota bake House in Dambulla: Remember to go to the up stair restaurant. Food and price above average.

6.Alankulama Cafe and Resturant: Huge horse-rider statue in the compound. in b/w Kekirawa and Maradankadawala:Food is good and price above avg.

And Do not forget RIO ice cream joint in Nallur , Jaffna.

Edited by luckey007

6.Can't remember the name. Huge horse-rider statue in the compound. in b/w Kekirawa and Maradankadawala:Food is good and price above avg.

The place you are refering to is Alankulama Cafe and Resturant. As you said the price is above average but the place is clean and the food is good. We had breakfast on the way to Anuradhapura and a afternoon snack on our way back.

• Like 1

Kurunegala to Polonnaruwa:

1. In & Out - Kurunegala: Food & price above average. Bakery, Short-eats, Rice & curry, Lot of varieties.

2.Perera & Sons, Pohoranwewa, Dambulla: Don't expect all items you find in Colombo. [No beef bun, ice coffee..]

3.Juiceez[CIC], Palwahara:

4. Perea & Sons, Hingurakgoda:

5.Army welfare shop, Minneriya: Food average, Price reasonable/cheap.

• 1 year later...
I've been there . That was great dining. Yes it is situated between Anuradhapura and Rambewa ,more towards Rambewa.

I think you meant Avissavella-Hatton route. I've travelled on this route many times and I've always stopped at Kitulgala Rest House managed by Ceylon Hotel Corp. Food is pretty good but a bit expensive. But you can enjoy the nice view of Kelani river while dining. When you get to Nuwera-Eliya ,there are pretty good places to dine in ,right in the middle of the town such as De Silva, Rimarco, Milano......

Again about the route- Try to take the route via Ginigathhena, Hatton to Nuwera Eliya. Constructions are completed of Hatton- Nuweraeliya road.

Going to Ginigathhena then to Nawalapitiya and to Nuweraeliya via Gampola is pointless and far. When you are coming back you can come via Ramboda, Pussellewa,Gampola to Colombo

Hi Sathyajith

Planning to go to Nuwaraeliya via this route is this done up now ? Any one travelled recently ?

Wish you all a happy new year!

Hi Sathyajith

Planning to go to Nuwaraeliya via this route is this done up now ? Any one travelled recently ?

Wish you all a happy new year!

Travelled recently to Nuwara Eliya using this route.

They have started road constructions between Watawala and Hatton (more towards Hatton )

The condition is not that bad. I think you can manage.