• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Great Places To Eat When Driving Outstation

VVTi

Since I am bored of talking about Vezel mirrors not reflecting and Hybrids not doing fuel as much as the next door neighbors Axio, I thought of starting a thread solely dedicated to the discussion of great places to stop and eat on our roads.

• Like 5

I will start by naming Pasindu in Katunayake as one of the best Rice and Curry places anywhere north of Colombo. It is just past the airport turn off and food has been consistently excellent for the last 10+ years.

Within Colombo, found a new place called KOCHCHI in Udahamulla, just past the Jaya Road turn off.

If you are in Batti, there is a spot just along the right hand side road along the lagoon on the town side, in fact all the shops along that stretch is good.

Excellent topic.

I too can vouch for Pasindu. It's nothing short of excellent.

Unfortunately it's been a while since I traveled the length and breadth of the country. So I can't remember the names of some of the places. But here are some of my favourites.

1. Puttalam. Right in the middle of the town (where Colombo Road and Mannar Road joins, there's a very large eatery (more like an mess hall than a restaurant). Access is through some alleyways. It's a joint that serves great tasting food with massive chunks of meat in typical muslim style. Very famous in the area.

2. In Ambepussa - Alawwa stretch, there's a restaurant on top of a paddy field, that serves great breakfast.

3. Mayura Hotel in Kathiresan street (next to sea street) Pettah has crab curry which is out of this world. One gigantic crab for 300 or so. Plus their string hoppers come with a sambol that can be guaranteed to give ulcers even to Satan.

4. Cafe for you (or something similar) near St Thomas School in Matara has excellent seafood. Their jumbo prawns are pricey but a delight. There are one or two places in Matara Beach Road which serves good food too...

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

At Ambepussa the restaurant that is managed by the hotel corporation. Hoppers and string hoppers were great as well as the short eats. Rest rooms were very clean and the service was ok, though ones I had to wait a little while for my order to process. Prices seemed a bit high.

Thanamaliwila, next to the cop shop is a small shop that serves steaming hot freshwater fish, string hoppers and parippu for breakfast. The Udawalawe stretch is useless, so unless you eat from Palmadulla, Godakawella areas, youwonthave anything to eat all the way to Thanamalwila.

I always stop at the Thirst-Aid Station before Kegalle on the way to Kandy or N'eliya.Pretty well known place.My folks have stopping their since the 80s(It is a bit of a family tradition to stop there)....Addmittedly the the food is not what it was in the 90s but still decent.

I know a few more places.Will post them in the future.

• Like 1

Recently went to Jaffna, and on my way back stopped at a place called "Nelum Kole Bath kade" somewhere in Rambewa. Man! Awesome rice and curry with freshwater fish served in Nelum kole. Place is run by an ex-army chap.

Edited by Simplelife
  • Like 3

Polonnaruwa: Chillies by Lathpandura & View Dreams Hotel (just look past the silly name)

Anuradhapura: Mango Mango (Alankulama) - they've got some good stuff there, Casserolle (Alankulama)

Trincomalee: Siva's Restaurant near the Nilaveli Beach - brilliant place with good food, they close at 6 in the evening though

View dreams and Mango Mango is frequented by me on my outstation visits to those areas. Trinco place was found online when looking for a place to eat on a recent road trip.

There's this Wadei joint when passing Commercial Junction in Thiriwanaketiya Rathnapura. it's a buffet style shop which serves Umbalakada wadei, string hoppers, Thosei and Tea. when you going from Rathnapura side it's on your right hand side.

Coordinates

6.664053, 80.436505

Edited by Ruslan

Kandy to Colombo -

1. My best choice for breakfast is "Amba Gaha Sewana" just after Kegalle.
  2. Ambepussa rest is great place too, as said above prices are on high side.
  3. Prefer New Jinadasa and Piyasena closer in Ambepussa town. (I feel original Jinadala lacking in quality these days)
  4. There is a 24 hrs place near Nelum Deniya (closer to Buddha statue in left hand side of the road)

Katunayake express way exit - Kurunegala/Kandy

1. As soon as you enter the Narammala town from (when going towards Kurunegala) passing bridge that ends with T- joint (is this the correct word :D), there is a good place in righ hand side. A popular one. don't remember the name though. They have a large variety of food there.

Right on time VVTi, we are going on a trip to Nuwara eliya this weekend via Avissawella, Nawalapitiya route and appreciate if anyone could recommend good places for breakfast around that route.

And I can also vouch for the Alakamandawa in Anuradhapura( bank city area). Not the tastiest, but the restaurant is clean and well kept.

And there's this kinda posh place called "Seedevi" in Anuradhapura. Food quality was not good, was only good enough for the pee stop :)

Edited by NRX

Recently went to Jaffna, and on my way back stopped at a place called "Nelum Kole Bath kade" somewhere in Rambewa. Man! Awesome rice and curry with freshwater fish served in Nelum kole. Place is run by an ex-army chap.

Ah yes that place rocks and famous too,

I kind of disagree about Ambepussa Rest House. Too pricey and only good for tourists who think they are tasting real Sri Lankan food. But their cheese toast is something unique.

JInadasa Thalaguli and Thirst Aid Station are places that were good. Not anymore. I avoid Jinadasa Thalaguli place like the plague.

For good food on the way to Kandy, Foodland is the place to go. Just before Warakapola junction. The hotel next to a mosque in Weveldeniya serves decent short eats but everything else is terrible. 'Famous Bend' restaurant just before Hingula on Kandy road serves excellent tea. Believe me when I say that because I come from a family of tea planters so my standards of tea is extremely high.

For breakfast on the way to Avissawella, there's a restaurant which looks a bit modern with some parking space, located close to Kosgama. That place can be recommended but I can't remember the name. It's on the left side of the road if you travel towards Avissawella.

• Like 1

I kind of disagree about Ambepussa Rest House. Too pricey and only good for tourists who think they are tasting real Sri Lankan food. But their cheese toast is something unique.

JInadasa Thalaguli and Thirst Aid Station are places that were good. Not anymore. I avoid Jinadasa Thalaguli place like the plague.

For good food on the way to Kandy, Foodland is the place to go. Just before Warakapola junction. The hotel next to a mosque in Weveldeniya serves decent short eats but everything else is terrible. 'Famous Bend' restaurant just before Hingula on Kandy road serves excellent tea. Believe me when I say that because I come from a family of tea planters so my standards of tea is extremely high.

For breakfast on the way to Avissawella, there's a restaurant which looks a bit modern with some parking space, located close to Kosgama. That place can be recommended but I can't remember the name. It's on the left side of the road if you travel towards Avissawella.

Actually we are taking Avissawella, Kithulgala, Ginigathhena, Nawalapitiya, Nuwaraeliya Road, Somewhere around Kithulgala ??

I've been there . That was great dining. Yes it is situated between Anuradhapura and Rambewa ,more towards Rambewa.

Right on time VVTi, we are going on a trip to Nuwara eliya this weekend via Avissawella, Nawalapitiya route and appreciate if anyone could recommend good places for breakfast around that route.

And I can also vouch for the Alakamandawa in Anuradhapura( bank city area). Not the tastiest, but the restaurant is clean and well kept.

And there's this kinda posh place called "Seedevi" in Anuradhapura. Food quality was not good, was only good enough for the pee stop :)

I think you meant Avissavella-Hatton route. I've travelled on this route many times and I've always stopped at Kitulgala Rest House managed by Ceylon Hotel Corp. Food is pretty good but a bit expensive. But you can enjoy the nice view of Kelani river while dining. When you get to Nuwera-Eliya ,there are pretty good places to dine in ,right in the middle of the town such as De Silva, Rimarco, Milano......

Again about the route- Try to take the route via Ginigathhena, Hatton to Nuwera Eliya. Constructions are completed of Hatton- Nuweraeliya road.

Going to Ginigathhena then to Nawalapitiya and to Nuweraeliya via Gampola is pointless and far. When you are coming back you can come via Ramboda, Pussellewa,Gampola to Colombo

Edited by sathyajithj99

Kandy to Colombo -

1. My best choice for breakfast is "Amba Gaha Sewana" just after Kegalle.
  2. Ambepussa rest is great place too, as said above prices are on high side.
  3. Prefer New Jinadasa and Piyasena closer in Ambepussa town. (I feel original Jinadala lacking in quality these days)
  4. There is a 24 hrs place near Nelum Deniya (closer to Buddha statue in left hand side of the road)

1. As soon as you enter the Narammala town from (when going towards Kurunegala) passing bridge that ends with T- joint (is this the correct word :D), there is a good place in righ hand side. A popular one. don't remember the name though. They have a large variety of food there.

Hey that's my shortcut to kandy from colombo will try this tks mate !

+1 here for "Amba Sewana" kegalle