• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shelter For My Car

asrock

Question

13 answers to this question

Where can I get something simple like this setup for my car? My budget is around 10,000/=

Is it ok to park a car under something like this for a long period?

I don't think this is a safer thing to do. If it catches wind your car might end up with damages.

This is my experience starting to build garage on a budget -

A cheaper yet safe option is to build a garage with GI Pipes fixed to a concrete floor, metal frames for roof support and steel coloured roofing sheets. But when it rains it makes lot of noise and still the car get wet from sides. As of I can remember it cost about Rs 40K in 2002, better to get a quote from a metal work person as the prices would be high now.

But i'm pretty sure finally you would build a permanent garage because other options doesn't last long.

Also don't try the option of buying car covers. As per my experience it is waste of money. It not only gives scratches to the paint also when you keep the car in rain the moist go inside the cover.

Edited by kmeeg

Thanks Kmeeg, Yes the wind could be a problem, I also thought of that. Lot of friends here at AL didnt recommend car covers because they might ruin the paint job. I asked from a metal works freind he told me it will cost me atleast 35k.The problem is that I’m staying at a rented out place so when I finally decide to go from there it would be a total waste of money. But I probably need to consider the fact that the damage to the car from rain and sun could be far greater than that.

Thanks Kmeeg, Yes the wind could be a problem, I also thought of that. Lot of friends here at AL didnt recommend car covers because they might ruin the paint job. I asked from a metal works freind he told me it will cost me atleast 35k.The problem is that I’m staying at a rented out place so when I finally decide to go from there it would be a total waste of money. But I probably need to consider the fact that the damage to the car from rain and sun could be far greater than that.

You can reuse the GI pipes and roofing sheets when you go to a new place. So the total 35k won't go bust. If you can find a material for roof similar to the one in the picture cost might be lower.

Edited by amilawuk

in addition to this you can ask the landlord to give you a reasonable value (probably reduce the rent by some amount for x number of months or something like that) so you can keep the shelter at the place intact. The shelter will be a value addition to the house in my opinion and I think the landlord might not refuse the deal.

Thanks guys, for the answers. The house I’m in is already having a garage which is occupied with 2 cars of the owner, so he does not actually require another shelter. I doubt that they will agree to reduce the cost from the rent, but they are good people might be able to get into some kind of agreement. Like Watchman said I think the best thing to do is to use nuts and bolts to fasten it. If I’m not taking it when I’m going, at least the owners can remove it if they don’t need it.

The solution in the picture is perfectly fine as long as its secured to the ground. You also need some rexin or some water proof material with some attached weights (like sand filled bags) hanging on the sides to prevent the side draft from the rain.

To be honest modern cars will be ok in the rain as long as its in the shade. The real issue is bird droppings and mid day sunlight. Most cars don't have a choice when parked outside during working hours.

shanthi plastics in mount lavinia have the exact same thing. its a square 10 x 10 foot affair tho, so your arse end sticks out a bit. covers 75% of the car however. its around 12,000. my first one lasted two years. but then the fabric just gave way. the second tarp i bought i covered with 4 coats of weathershield. that's holding up much better.

shanthi is right opposite the courts complex, just before watarappola road

• Like 2

Hi Asrock,

I've built a new garage one week ago. It was a steel frame with Durashine sheets, mounted to a wall using bolts. So you can remove easily. It costs me around 37k. Size is about 16ft x 10ft. As I remember durashine sheets is 2.4 ft wide and costs around 190 Rs per feet. I had to buy 7 sheets. workman cost per sq feet is around 100 Rs. Hope this helps.

Edited by lakshan20

What I would suggest is to go and have a look around in some metal scrappers. These people buy stuff off of government auctions and sell them much cheaper than in the Hardwares. I bought an entire detachable 2 car garage that was used to be an air port utility hanger for just 5000 with the bolts to put it together. They had more of them but it was in Kandy.

What I would suggest is to go and have a look around in some metal scrappers. These people buy stuff off of government auctions and sell them much cheaper than in the Hardwares. I bought an entire detachable 2 car garage that was used to be an air port utility hanger for just 5000 with the bolts to put it together. They had more of them but it was in Kandy.

Really? You get that sorta stuff in our local metal crushing joints? That too in Kandy?

Afaik, they usually deal in mostly useless bits n pieces and sheets (unless u r specifically looking for some bit). Mind sharing the exact location / address? I got a friend in Kandy who can have a look and tell me what they got and whether it would serve my purpose of a shelter for the car...