• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying Car Around 2.3 Million - Mazda Demio, Swift Beetle Or Vitz

HarshaAG

Question

Dear All,

I'm planning to buy a new car and my budget is around 2.3 Million (Max).

So far I have checked the following models.

Mazda Demio - (YOM : 2007,2008, Registered 2010,2011)

Toyota IST - (YOM : 2002,2003,2004 Registered 2006,2007)

Swift Beetle Japan (YOM : 2004-2008 Registered 2007-2010)

Vitz 1000 cc (YOM : 2007 Registered 2010)

Or Indian Suzuki Astar (auto) around 2Mil. ( I prefer Japan vehicle but like this car too )

All of the above checked models are between 60,000 - 90,000 Kms done so far except the Astar.

I did search on AL and came up with the following results but those are bit older (considering the current market situation in 2014).

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/10722-swift-vitz-or-demio/

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/10228-vitz-fit-demio/

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/10559-which-car-should-i-buy/

I'm looking for a economical and reliable car which wont give me troubles (engine and transmission) in the long run as I'm planning to use this car at-least for another 3-4 years.

So, I really appropriate help from you guys to select one model from the above for me or any others you suggest, based on above details.

Also if you can share your experiences (fuel consumption and reliability) of the above models that would be highly appreciated.

Thank you and looking forward to see your comments.

15 answers to this question

I voite for

Vitz

Swift

Demio

AStar

IST

In that order. I vote for the Vitz first because its the easiest car to live with, with spares plenty and there are loads in the country making it cheap to run and maintain. The Swift HT71S is the next choice because like the Vitz its very popular but this swift was not as hardy as the HT51S with front suspension and various other issues, though they are not too expensive to rectify. The Demio is third, becaue compared to the first two they are less popular but still a very popular car and very nice to drive as I believe its borrowed some components from the Ford Fiesta which has class leading drivability (this is the car I would buy from my own money). And finally the other two in my mind just make up the numbers and I've put the AStar above the IST as its a much newer car.

Also consider Lancer CS1 2007+ model (which is 1300cc but is a fairly capable and you get a brand new imported low mileage sedan for that price).

Thank you very much for your valuable input Don.

In my price range, I can only afford Vitz 1000cc car but I saw few threads in AL highlighted the fact its under powered and less fuel efficient than 1300cc Vitz.

In the other hand, I love Demio because its stylish and fun to drive, but again I saw thread in AL and heard, spare parts and body parts are rare to find in case I need them.

Any idea about those two facts?

Dear All,

I'm planning to buy a new car and my budget is around 2.3 Million (Max).

So far I have checked the following models.

Mazda Demio - (YOM : 2007,2008, Registered 2010,2011)

Toyota IST - (YOM : 2002,2003,2004 Registered 2006,2007)

Swift Beetle Japan (YOM : 2004-2008 Registered 2007-2010)

Vitz 1000 cc (YOM : 2007 Registered 2010)

Or Indian Suzuki Astar (auto) around 2Mil. ( I prefer Japan vehicle but like this car too )

All of the above checked models are between 60,000 - 90,000 Kms done so far except the Astar.

I did search on AL and came up with the following results but those are bit older (considering the current market situation in 2014).

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/10722-swift-vitz-or-demio/

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/10228-vitz-fit-demio/

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/10559-which-car-should-i-buy/

I'm looking for a economical and reliable car which wont give me troubles (engine and transmission) in the long run as I'm planning to use this car at-least for another 3-4 years.

So, I really appropriate help from you guys to select one model from the above for me or any others you suggest, based on above details.

Also if you can share your experiences (fuel consumption and reliability) of the above models that would be highly appreciated.

Thank you and looking forward to see your comments.

If you don't mind not following the herd, I would suggest a diesel Fiat Punto for that budget. It is really really economical (does well over 16km/litre of diesel), it is very reliable and has the gorgeous italian look.

If you want to know more, read this thread: http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15562-fiat-punto-20072008/

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your valuable input Don.

In my price range, I can only afford Vitz 1000cc car but I saw few threads in AL highlighted the fact its under powered and less fuel efficient than 1300cc Vitz.

In the other hand, I love Demio because its stylish and fun to drive, but again I saw thread in AL and heard, spare parts and body parts are rare to find in case I need them.

Any idea about those two facts?

The Vitz 1000cc obviously has less power than the 1300cc but in normal city driving scenarios you are unlikely to feel the difference. The characteristics of the 1000cc compared to the 1300cc is different as the 3 pot 1000cc petrol is a high revving engine which is a bit noisy. This is nothing to be concerned about because its normal. On city conditions I expect the 1000cc to be fuel efficient but on higher speed runs the 1300cc could be more efficient. So to be honest your two issues while partially true in a real word scenario is negligible.

The Demio is quite popular so I don't think parts should be that much of an issue. Clearly not as plentiful as the other two but should be able to find without too much difficulty particularly around Colombo

If you don't mind not following the herd, I would suggest a diesel Fiat Punto for that budget. It is really really economical (does well over 16km/litre of diesel), it is very reliable and has the gorgeous italian look.

If you want to know more, read this thread: http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15562-fiat-punto-20072008/

Thank you for your opinion Crosswind, Fiat punto seems a nice little car and will consider that. Have to check with few other technical people before make my mind on that though.

The Vitz 1000cc obviously has less power than the 1300cc but in normal city driving scenarios you are unlikely to feel the difference. The characteristics of the 1000cc compared to the 1300cc is different as the 3 pot 1000cc petrol is a high revving engine which is a bit noisy. This is nothing to be concerned about because its normal. On city conditions I expect the 1000cc to be fuel efficient but on higher speed runs the 1300cc could be more efficient. So to be honest your two issues while partially true in a real word scenario is negligible.

The Demio is quite popular so I don't think parts should be that much of an issue. Clearly not as plentiful as the other two but should be able to find without too much difficulty particularly around Colombo

Thanks Don, I'm usually driving colombo area with normal city traffic and in that case 1000cc vitz wont be an issue. But Im wondering when I'm traveling Colombo - Badulla once a month with 3-4 on-board, will it do at-least 12-14 kmpl. :unsure:

Why have you only considered hatchbacks. There are lots of sedan models which are economical, trustworthy and most importantly spacious for 2.3M.

sathyajithj99, I like hatchbacks than sedans :D . Please suggest me few sedans which will fulfill my requirements (fuel efficiency and reliability). Don already come up with the idea of Lancer CS1.

Thank you for your opinion Crosswind, Fiat punto seems a nice little car and will consider that. Have to check with few other technical people before make my mind on that though.

Thanks Don, I'm usually driving colombo area with normal city traffic and in that case 1000cc vitz wont be an issue. But Im wondering when I'm traveling Colombo - Badulla once a month with 3-4 on-board, will it do at-least 12-14 kmpl. :unsure:

sathyajithj99, I like hatchbacks than sedans :D . Please suggest me few sedans which will fulfill my requirements (fuel efficiency and reliability). Don already come up with the idea of Lancer CS1.

To be honest you need to be pragmatic about things like fuel efficiency. I think the cars delivering the best fuel efficiency were old 121 Corollas, Diesel AE110 Corollas, Honda Fit Aria etc. All these cars are good but all have little problems and on some its related to age.

Its important to look at total cost of ownership rather than just mere fuel efficiency figures, and balance that out with the actual mileage undertaken.

For example the Swift HT51S is very popular in Sri Lanka but its not really that fuel efficient. But its high ground clearence means it doesn't hit much and you get a really good view making it a car easy to drive. The fact its fairly bullet proof helps too. So its a not a simple care of a few figures.

Ultimately its your money and you need to make a decision. Information about all these models are available plenty in the forum and you don't really need to conduct surveys because quite frankly people will answer using their own biases as well.

If you havent bought something for 2.3mill,

I would say there is nothing better than a 2007+ Lancer CS or a 2007+ Nissan n17 for that price if you are ok with sedans,

They are comfortable family cars, will do the around the same on fuel, be easyer to repair and more durable than the hatches and will have more options (most hatches dont even have a rpm meter)

If you havent bought something for 2.3mill,

I would say there is nothing better than a 2007+ Lancer CS or a 2007+ Nissan n17 for that price if you are ok with sedans,

They are comfortable family cars, will do the around the same on fuel, be easyer to repair and more durable than the hatches and will have more options (most hatches dont even have a rpm meter)

Where does your theory that sedans will be more durable, easier to repair, have more options than hatches come from.

This sedan business is a market preference. It has nothing to do with durability, ease of repair or options. In a lot of other markets outside South Asia its the hatches which are more popular primarily due to ease of loading, which makes the rear boot space far more practical storage.

But I do aggree with the two options you suggest, though I'll take the Lancer over the N17. The N17 body parts and lights are very difficult and have to be bought brand new and that generation of Nissan's are not as hardy as the previous generation.

1000 cc Vitz vibrates like hell and sometimes feels like it is going to stall, difficult to drive in city.

Swift 2007 and above 1250 cc with CVT in the other hand has better handling, equally economical, has a sweet free revving 4 cylinder dual vvti.

You will enjoy this on your Badulla trips.

It has better seats, climate control, key less operation (similar to push start), multi-function steering, traction control, fog lights depending on the model most of them absent in Vitz.

Where does your theory that sedans will be more durable, easier to repair, have more options than hatches come from.

This sedan business is a market preference. It has nothing to do with durability, ease of repair or options. In a lot of other markets outside South Asia its the hatches which are more popular primarily due to ease of loading, which makes the rear boot space far more practical storage.

But I do aggree with the two options you suggest, though I'll take the Lancer over the N17. The N17 body parts and lights are very difficult and have to be bought brand new and that generation of Nissan's are not as hardy as the previous generation.

My 1st option would be the Lancer too

I say easier to repair because when the engine is in a big engine bay of a sedan it makes it easy for access.

So it's easy to repair.

For example once we needed to do a repair on the alternator of our March ak 12 and had to remove the front bumper and it almost took half a day to take the alternator out and fix it back again. The mechanic told that if it was a spacious engine bay it could have been done in less than an hour.

Clark son, the issue you had experienced is not a Hatch vs Sedan issue. Its a car segment issue.

A lot of cars are sold both in sedan guise and hatchback guise (for example the Yaris which is sold as the Vitz hatch as well).

But cars in the city car and small segments obviously has packed engine bays.

Clark son, the issue you had experienced is not a Hatch vs Sedan issue. Its a car segment issue.

A lot of cars are sold both in sedan guise and hatchback guise (for example the Yaris which is sold as the Vitz hatch as well).

But cars in the city car and small segments obviously has packed engine bays.

Completely agree with you, it's not the shape it's the segment