• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suv For Around 3.5 - 3.8 Million

Chathuranga88

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a SUV to buy for around 3.5 to 3.8 million range. And considering these two options (please suggest any new as well) :)

• Toyota Rav 4 (2007) (2wd, 2.4)
  • Nissan X-Trail (2007)
  • Mitsubishi Outlander (2007)

I prefer petrol as not much of a fan of diesel engines (specially in Sri Lanka). What do you think of these two options about Maintenance, Fuel Consumption, and in general usage.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Edited by Chathuranga88

21 answers to this question

Thanks guys for the replies.

if you are rich enough to pay the petrol bill, montero V75

Nope. Im a Software Engineer. So wont be able to afford a monte.

i would go for the rav4, i am a bit biased towards the rav4's but its a damn good all rounder

Yes. I also prefer Rav4 than other two. Do you have any idea on Grand Vitara (2007) Model.

cheers

X-trail is the better of the three by far.

Very agile vehicle which is great on the road as well as on the hills.

oh okay. Thanks Crosswind. But i think its the worst in terms of fuel economy. isn't it? (Since i drive more than 1500kms a month, prefer if it has around 8 kmpl :) )

Edited by Chathuranga88

oh okay. Thanks Crosswind. But i think its the worst in terms of fuel economy. isn't it? (Since i drive more than 1500kms a month, prefer if it has around 8 kmpl :) )

You won't get 8kmpl with a RAV4 or an outlander either. 5-6 is more realistic.

You know you can get a diesel Santa Fe or a Sportage for that budget and it will be lighter on the pocket.

• Like 1

oh. :D Literally or figuratively?

LOL...in both form and dependent on the time of year/season/etc...

Well I am back in SL...one RAV4 was in East Timor which my wife used and that got only 5 ! Mostly because she drove only 1 km to work (security requirements prohibited her from walking...) and the engine barely had time to heat up !!! Another RAV4 was in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania where I was able to get around 7 on average...strictly town driving (and Dar traffic is some what similar to SL).Right now in SL I am using my mom''s RAV4 (which is also the one I was using in Japan...my mom doesn't drive !) and over the last 4 weeks and measuring per tank (I know not very accurate..just a rough calc) I seem to be getting around the same (barely though and I drive in heavy traffic only 2-3 days a week and the rest is at non peak times). True in Japan the same car did somewhat better (better fuel, living in area with lesser traffic and better flow, etc...). Oh..and they were all ACA31s (yes my friends made fun of me saying I was collecting RAVs in different colors), almost bought X-Trails but ended up never buying one.

As Magnum said the X-Trail figures are mainly from second hand accounts and short term usage of borrowed/office/rental vehicles....which is not necessarily the same as long term calculations. As for the CR-V; one of the "friends" is my dad who had two CR-Vs and again fuel figures were not that much different...true the range meters showed all kinds of values :D

As for X-Trail vs. RAV4 vs. Escudo. Well off-roading wise the Escudo wins hands down because it is perhaps the only "SUV" in its class with a proper 4WD system followed by the X-Trail (as it has a rudimentary locking option). But then again if you are leaning towards a 2WD RAV4 I guess offroading is not a concern to you. The 2WD RAV4 should do a bit better on fuel than the 4WD (but not by much from what I have been told...but then again this part if from Japan).

Drivability wise I prefer the RAV4, the X-Trail 31 seemed a bit top heavy and longish, and the one and only Escudo I have driven which was a MT felt very "industrial" and harsh. So at the end of the day it is a matter of preference. Comfort wise...again matter of preference....RAV4 is a bit more firmer than the the X-Trail. The Escudo's rear seats were a bit benching and feels a bit unstable.

Edited by iRage

You cant have an SUV AND ask for great fuel consumption... unless its a diesel... buy a Hilux.

Most SUV buyers in LK goes for the Pada Show potential/quality of the vehicle. Very few will ever use it to its full potential.

Case in point, the Zotye Nomad buyers... :) They are just above the D*MO Batta demographic... :)

Almost all the Palath sabha buggers drive or yearn to drive/own a SUV, bigger the better. The Wow factor for the poor villagers is the key there.

Let us not even start discussing the politicians and the MPs and their kith and kin.

Check the Wanted Ads on the papers, Almost all new CEO/MDs from the B grade companies look for a SUV to rent or buy. Why? Because the position is not consolidated if one does not drive an SUV.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 5

Agreed....why DO you need a SUV ? space ? ground clearance ? Obviously you don't need 4WD...

1. Space

2. Ground Clearance and peace of mind when driving in a rough road (like the bloody horana-colombo road)

and i like to get a SUV since i have been using cars all along. Also Fuel economy is not the key, but would not hurt not to have a burning hole in the pocket.

1. Space

2. Ground Clearance and peace of mind when driving in a rough road (like the bloody horana-colombo road)

and i like to get a SUV since i have been using cars all along. Also Fuel economy is not the key, but would not hurt not to have a burning hole in the pocket.

If you think about the small differences in fuel consumption because of driver habits, etc...you could say they all fall in to the same bracket of fuel consumption, so I would say go with the one that you would enjoy driving and owning.

The ones you listed are 2000cc++. The 2nd generation RAV4 2WD came with a 1800cc engine but they are some what older than what you are looking at (2000-2005). You also get the Rush/Terios with a smaller engine but that is considerably smaller in size.

• Like 1

If you think about the small differences in fuel consumption because of driver habits, etc...you could say they all fall in to the same bracket of fuel consumption, so I would say go with the one that you would enjoy driving and owning.

The ones you listed are 2000cc++. The 2nd generation RAV4 2WD came with a 1800cc engine but they are some what older than what you are looking at (2000-2005). You also get the Rush/Terios with a smaller engine but that is considerably smaller in size.

Yes. Agreed. And thats what me gonna do, will go and test drive Xtrail, CRV and Rav4. and go for the one which suits me best. Thanks iRage and the guys for the info. Cheers.