• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is It Possible To Retain The Number Plate

panhida

Hi All,

Wanted to know if it is possible in SL to change the vehicle (sell) but retain the number plate to be used on a new vehicle of the same type ( ex. from old car to New car).

I know this is possible in other countries which is swapping plates between old and new vehicles as the plate is registered to the owner and not the car.

my number plate is nothing special, but just nostalgic and I would like to retain it if and when I change the vehicle, if its possible to keep.

Thanking eveyone for your comments.

Even in other countries, you can only retain a vanity plate, not the actual registration number of a vehicle.

I was working in Qatar for a longtime. There you could retain the actual registration number and the plate and use it for a new registration when you finally de-register and scrap an old vehicle. In fact the locals sometimes paid a high premium (running into five digit $ figures for some numbers) for 3-digt registration numbers just to show off that they were original inhabitants not those who got the citizenship later on. Of course vanity plates in other countries are a different issue.

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Rumesh88" data-cid="269297" data-time="1417066339"><p>

I was working in Qatar for a longtime. There you could retain the actual registration number and the plate and use it for a new registration when you finally de-register and scrap an old vehicle. In fact the locals sometimes paid a high premium (running into five digit $ figures for some numbers) for 3-digt registration numbers just to show off that they were original inhabitants not those who got the citizenship later on. Of course vanity plates in other countries are a different issue.</p></blockquote>

Now people buy even 5 digit numbers. A friend of mine had a 5 digit number which was made up of just 7s and 3s and was approached by several locals. He ended up selling it for over 3000USD.

Here the registration number can change hands and the donor vehicle will be re-registered under a new number. The buyer can update even an already registered vehicle with the new number.