• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nalanda Motorshow 2014

sachinwick

Hi guys :)

This is an open invitation for you all to come and visit the Nalanda Motorshow 2014 which will take place on the 7th of December at the parliament grounds car park.

Please do not consider this as an advertisement. The entrance for the event is free, and will have some of the country's super cars and classics and a remote control car racing track etc.

And also, it will be a great privilege for us to exhibit any of your valuable cars if any of you volunteer. Please PM me on that regard.

This is the first time a school automobile club is organising such an event and therefore we expect the help from you all autolankans as well.

- Thank you -

I take it that the OP is still a student?

So, one life lesson; you may think that your event is 'the thing' because you too deep into it in emotional and effort. And you may have a lot of other challenges that make organizing such an event a mamoth task. But at the same time this type of event relies a lot on the car owners and the car fans commitments. But to the common car fan or a car owner it's a simple case of choosing either event A or B.

And given the 'excitement' surrounding the katu drags you guys loose. It would certainly be in YOUR best interest too to change the event date.

We genuinely wish you all the best cos we know how hard it is to organize events as school-kids!

• Like 3

Yup whoever decide the date should be fired...And next time you should write to the relevant motoring organizations asking their participation.The Classic Car Club being one of them.We recently participated in the Musaeus walk with a few cars when the college invited us...

FFrHotb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Nalandian and a committee member of Mighty Mini Club and MRA and a member of Classic Car Club, I never knew of this event.... pretty unfortunate... good if organizers look the national racing calendar and plan a date while informing all motoring clubs...

Edited by GMI
  • Like 2

Being a Nalandian and a committee member of Mighty Mini Club and MRA and a member of Classic Car Club, I never knew of this event.... pretty unfortunate... good if organizers look the national racing calendar and plan a date while informing all motoring clubs...

I dropped by and decided to leave after a few minutes. Only the sirasa tv generation would have enjoyed it.

• Like 2

Yep, they def need to hold back on the saturation n highlights.

As for the motorshow itself it is a lot 'less' grander than I thought it would be. Looks like they tried to incorporate too many 'categories'/attractions and ended up being a jack of all trades master of none.

Well these are school boys. And there is such a thing called "school boy errors". I've been part of many a disaster myself while at school. But every mistake is also a great learning experience. So hopefully the boys will learn, move on and do better next year!

I for one will applaud their efforts irrespective of the quality of the end product, and encourage them to make it an anual event, but also to apply what they have learned from this year to the next.

Thank you guys for the good and bad feedbacks, yeah we do agree that the event was not the best, It was all due to the bad day, But considering the time and effort we had to put to get permission for a non academic motorshow for the school we consider it to be a successful first step, saying that this event will surely take place better next year.

This was the first ever motorshow done by a school in sri lanka, and also this is the second year since the automobile engineering club in our school was established, so for now we think we have gained the required recognition in school and other organizations to do better next time.

Having to select this day was much of a forced one due to many factors like term tests, ALs, school holidays, availability of the venue and financial feasibility.

Yup whoever decide the date should be fired...And next time you should write to the relevant motoring organizations asking their participation.The Classic Car Club being one of them.We recently participated in the Musaeus walk with a few cars when the college invited us...

FFrHotb.jpg

Yeah we had created letters and all but due to some scene we couldnt handover that, therefore we will surely be doing it the next time. Thanks :)

We had informed the necessary OBAs about the event though.. Anyways , we will make sure we check the racing calender before we take a step on the next years one :) Thank you

I dropped by and decided to leave after a few minutes. Only the sirasa tv generation would have enjoyed it.

Thank you for dropping in :) I kinda agree, it was not the best due to the bad date.

I didnt know we had a Veilside kitted RX 7 in SL....

It was Adv#nce Car Audio Damitha ayya's car. He helped us a lot in getting down cars :)

Yep, they def need to hold back on the saturation n highlights.

As for the motorshow itself it is a lot 'less' grander than I thought it would be. Looks like they tried to incorporate too many 'categories'/attractions and ended up being a jack of all trades master of none.

Thank you for the valuable feed back :) We'll remember this when doing the next time.

Well these are school boys. And there is such a thing called "school boy errors". I've been part of many a disaster myself while at school. But every mistake is also a great learning experience. So hopefully the boys will learn, move on and do better next year!

I for one will applaud their efforts irrespective of the quality of the end product, and encourage them to make it an anual event, but also to apply what they have learned from this year to the next.

Thank you a lot Don. It means a lot and yeah this will be an annual event. A lot of guys are looking forward for the event next year, the school children really did enjoy it, the stunts, though the cars might not have been the best, seeing something different from the normal cars on the road were amongst their liking.

So we think we made a good base within the school in our first step. :) Thank you :)

@sachinwick

Thanks for taking all good, bad and ugly feedback constructively. That is a sign of maturity.

A bit of advice I can give is to not to allow one sponsor hog the event. The main sponsor of your event is one of those mainstream companies which aggressively promote mediocre products and services, thus having a mediocre reputation amongst true car enthusiasts. Also you guys need to drive around carefully and obey road rules if your participants are rallying on public roads during the event. I noticed a near-miss when I was passing the 'paalam thuna' roundabout.

Wow... My eyes burn. That is one HIGH level of saturation.

Ha ha.. the same advice you gave me with my photos. That was the point i started to think about the saturation level. Thanks always for your advice Peri. BTW, what is your view about the fast moving shots? Please don't take me wrong. All i wanted to know is 1. Is it good to have that kind of motion blur? or 2. Is it bcos of a limitation of the focusing capability of the lens?

** I'm only asking this question for education purpose and not to tell anything bad about their professional photography. Please don't take it wrong..

Edited by kmeeg

Thank you guys for the good and bad feedbacks, yeah we do agree that the event was not the best, It was all due to the bad day, But considering the time and effort we had to put to get permission for a non academic motorshow for the school we consider it to be a successful first step, saying that this event will surely take place better next year.

This was the first ever motorshow done by a school in sri lanka, and also this is the second year since the automobile engineering club in our school was established, so for now we think we have gained the required recognition in school and other organizations to do better next time.

Having to select this day was much of a forced one due to many factors like term tests, ALs, school holidays, availability of the venue and financial feasibility.

Actually Gateway College Negombo held the First Motor show... I dropped by when it was held. This is way better than that. They dint have more than 25 cars... congrats on the effort u made. :D

Ha ha.. the same advice you gave me with my photos. That was the point i started to think about the saturation level. Thanks always for your advice Peri. BTW, what is your view about the fast moving shots? Please don't take me wrong. All i wanted to know is 1. Is it good to have that kind of motion blur? or 2. Is it bcos of a limitation of the focusing capability of the lens?

** I'm only asking this question for education purpose and not to tell anything bad about their professional photography. Please don't take it wrong..

Of course Peri is more experienced in this than I am. But let me give you my two cents.

The blur is because the shutter speed was not fast enough to 'stop' the motion. The average kit lens might not be fast enough to focus on a moving object to 'freeze' the movement either. In motor racing a common technic is to pan the camera where the car is in focus and the background is blurred giving the sense of speed to the picture. Higher end lenses like the Canon L series has a special image stabilizer mode that will let you achieve this.

Edited by madmax

Of course Peri is more experienced in this than I am. But let me give you my two cents.

The blur is because the shutter speed was not fast enough to 'stop' the motion. The average kit lens might not be fast enough to focus on a moving object to 'freeze' the movement either. In motor racing a common technic is to pan the camera where the car is in focus and the background is blurred giving the sense of speed to the picture. Higher end lenses like the Canon L series has a special image stabilizer mode that will let you achieve this.

Thanks machan. Another technique i have heard is to focus on something else on the path and once the vehicle or the object that you need to shoot pass that spot release the shutter. But so far it didn't work for me or i need more practice :speechless-smiley-004: Also when using auto focus points didn't work for me either.. So far what have tried is try to keep the focus with the vehicle while its moving and then shoot..

Once i was at a bike show some what like you see in 'Nalanda Motorshow 2014' and there were many professional photographers but they are not that friendly and they won't tell you or help. So it was all trial and error. Wish Peri was thr.. :sport-smiley-004: