• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alto K10 Ignition Key

mightymicra

Question

Hey All,

One of my friends have an Alto K10 (Maruti) and recently he broke the key. So we got a new key cut but could not start from it. Then when we check inside the plastic part of the original key we found a small magnet like piece but I am sure is is not magnet. Anyhow we found out that if we bring it (the plastic part of the key) considerably close to the keyhole and start the car it will start. So my question is does anyone know the mechanism of this function ? is there any way we can bypass this ?? Appreciate your comments.

Thank You :)

4 answers to this question

Hey All,

One of my friends have an Alto K10 (Maruti) and recently he broke the key. So we got a new key cut but could not start from it. Then when we check inside the plastic part of the original key we found a small magnet like piece but I am sure is is not magnet. Anyhow we found out that if we bring it (the plastic part of the key) considerably close to the keyhole and start the car it will start. So my question is does anyone know the mechanism of this function ? is there any way we can bypass this ?? Appreciate your comments.

Thank You :)

K10 has an immobiliser key and it transmit a code to the engine to start. So you simply can't cut a normal key and use it. You have to contact agents (I think) and get a new key programmed for the car. Btw where's the spare key?

Actually you can. I had a similar problem with my old 164. What I did was take the transponder and have it taped to the key barrel with duct tape securely. That way you can use the newly cut key.

Hey VVTI thnx...Yeah that what I was also thinking. it actually worked last time. I was thiking more decent way :P....hey "hrm" mentioned about this transmitter. But it is a very small piece and do not see any kind of circuitry or anything like that. so I am not sure what is exactly there. Nways thnx for the comments guys. more comments are welcome : )

Cheers

Edited by mightymicra

Its a transponder, when you turn the ignition on, there is a small transmitter in the key barrel that sends a signal to check if the right key is inserted, when the correct signal is received back from the transponder the car starts. YOu won't find circuitry. Don't fcuk around with it too much as if you lose it you can kiss starting tour car goodbye until you get the replacement key from the agents.

Its not rocket science.

Most Euros from the 80s and 90s had it.

Remove the steering column casing and find the key barrel, tape it with duct tape and you can use a cut key without any issues.