• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Carburetor Engine Turbocharging

Ricer

Question

HI guys,

Just wanted to know whether a carburetor setup engine can be turbocharged? If so, how can it be done? Is it more complex than turbocharging an electronically fuel injected one?

thanks

So it's ok for YOU to get a turbo-charged car and use it for the "pure thrill", but if VVTi, buys it he has to prove himself by racing it?

Look man... All I wanted to know was whether a carb engine could be turbocharged... Your dear friend was the one who told me to put a turbo-whistle and a fake BOV instead of actually turbocharging. I tried to ignore his first post but he kept on posting. What exactly are you guys trying to say?? That only a selected few could have their vehicles turbocharged??

Look man... All I wanted to know was whether a carb engine could be turbocharged... Your dear friend was the one who told me to put a turbo-whistle and a fake BOV instead of actually turbocharging. I tried to ignore his first post but he kept on posting. What exactly are you guys trying to say?? That only a selected few could have their vehicles turbocharged??

But you don't even have a car to turbo charge, chooti patiyo.... ;)

That's the whole issue here.... your main concern here is a TURBO, not getting a fricking car first.

Get a car first, AND NO, a carb engine will not serve your purpose as you seems like a novice and too young and your budget is limited, laughable at best.

Think of this as tough love.

But there are people who can't participate in the official drags and some who can't wait for the drags to happen AND some who think it's a waste of time and effort since a certain "son" is racing in almost every category. I might be wasting my father's money but go figure whose money that bugger is wasting

Can you elaborate as to why people cant wait for the drags to happen??? Is the urge like a the urge to take a dump, that it must be done somewhere, somehow, in case you lose it and soil your pants?

WTF!!

BTW, I still stand by my advise to you about the BoV whistle and stickers... :)

Edited by VVTi

You are doing a datsun 510 project aren't you? What's the engine in it? 2-litre?

Btw, the saturday night street racing scene is becoming popular don't you think? There are many participating in that. I'm not justifying that and I know that it is dangerous. But there are people who can't participate in the official drags and some who can't wait for the drags to happen AND some who think it's a waste of time and effort since a certain "son" is racing in almost every category. I might be wasting my father's money but go figure whose money that bugger is wasting

What? Me? Datsun? 510?...No!...I'm sort of regarded as the Anti-christ in the 510 community.You must have me confused with Dr.Naka Dee Pusi.

That second paragraph is allover the place. I can't even begin to comprehend that rubbish.

Let me guess.You want a turbo just to hear the 'brmmmm-tssss' sound and to show off to your friends neda?...c'mon be honest...

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 4

What? Me? Datsun? 510?...No!...I'm sort of regarded as the Anti-christ in the 510 community.You must have me confused with Dr.Naka Dee Pusi.

That second paragraph is allover the place. I can't even begin to comprehend that rubbish.

Let me guess.You want a turbo just to hear the 'brmmmm-tssss' sound and to show off to your friends neda?...c'mon be honest...

Judging from the reactions to this post, it seems like the Doctor has a good fan-base and not someone who you wanna mess with in the car community :P

• Like 1

Judging from the reactions to this post, it seems like the Doctor has a good fan-base and not someone who you wanna mess with in the car community :P

What reactions?...No one has replied except you retard!...Anyway the doctor couldn't handle the truth and is long gone,Bugger had a hissy fit and quit....His cataloy sculpture should be done by now though.

So anyway.If you're serious about buying a car I can hook you up with a nice Honda CRX J edition...let me know.

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

I don't have a vast knowledge on automobile engineering like most of the people here. That's why I would ike to have opinions of experts.

I asked because a conversion like this is going to require some serious research, especially if you are going to turbo charge a car/model that people do not typically turbo charge. Only a few garages would have such technical know how for you to just give them the car and they figure things out but they will charge you dearly for it. So again...the experts tell you the easiest and quickest way would be to wait, get a car that is easy to turbo charge.

Once you do take a leap and buy an actual car then I think we all would love to have a a different conversation on the technicalities of going forward.

To add to what iRage said, I don't think deciding a car to buy based purely on the availability of a turbo is the smartest way to go. Buy 'a car' that you would enjoy going through the trouble. If you aren't too hyper about the car as a whole, the kick you get off the turbo will get real old real fast. Buy a nice little car you actually like based on shape, size, history or whatever. Get it up and running, maybe as a rolling project, as and when you can afford to spend on it. Remember, a turbo is not a must to have a cool car.

• Like 1

A lot of higher displacement engines were gotten rid of in SL due to fuel economy concerns and some of these vehicles were converted to Diesels.

If you can find one of these engines from a scrap yard intact (many were sold for scrap metal afterwards), you might be achieve fairly good hore power without the need for turbocharging just with displacement, a good pair of carbs and a mechanic who knows what he's doing.

If you can find a car with reasonable handling, commonly available and transplant it, you have a pretty good fast car.

Another option is to get a Mitsubishi or a Mitsubishi based Proton, and upgrade the engine. The same can be said about Honda's EG upwards which took the B series engines.

I think rather than asking us, you need to hit the internet, go on some modifying forums and do some research. At the moment you aren't being specific enough for any meaningful advice, hence the others taking the piss.

Btw, the saturday night street racing scene is becoming popular don't you think? There are many participating in that. I'm not justifying that and I know that it is dangerous. But there are people who can't participate in the official drags and some who can't wait for the drags to happen AND some who think it's a waste of time and effort since a certain "son" is racing in almost every category. I might be wasting my father's money but go figure whose money that bugger is wasting

Sat night street racing was popular back in 2003 when we attended too, not "becoming" popular. God knows how long it was going before we found it. And even those days, the serious guys were pretty good, but the watching kids who got excited and acted like morons were the ones who caused all the trouble. Who was that guy who put his friends uncles diesel premio into a river trying to show off to the crowd? Don't be one of those guys.

If you do go to races, find a serious guy, hang out with them, spend some time in the garage with them them and see how things work, then try your own thing. Getting advice from the Internet is a risky thing to try without experience.

Sat night street racing was popular back in 2003 when we attended too, not "becoming" popular. God knows how long it was going before we found it. And even those days, the serious guys were pretty good, but the watching kids who got excited and acted like morons were the ones who caused all the trouble. Who was that guy who put his friends uncles diesel premio into a river trying to show off to the crowd? Don't be one of those guys.

If you do go to races, find a serious guy, hang out with them, spend some time in the garage with them them and see how things work, then try your own thing. Getting advice from the Internet is a risky thing to try without experience.

I was kinda excited to read that the generation of faggots have decided to come out of their facebook world finally and do something manly....sadly that doesnt seem to be the case...

so the scene he is talking about is just the famous chapter from the past eh? It will be a miracle if that chapter will ever be revived in this country.

I was kinda excited to read that the generation of faggots have decided to come out of their facebook world finally and do something manly....sadly that doesnt seem to be the case...

so the scene he is talking about is just the famous chapter from the past eh? It will be a miracle if that chapter will ever be revived in this country.

I saw an article from the Times that this is still going on in the Kiribathgoda area on Saturday nights....

There IS something still going on, I've seen a couple of vids on FB. But not attended or looked properly. I think Andrew is still in the scene too.

Yup drags are happening at Attidiya and K'bathgoda.Most of the old crowd are not to be seen but some new faces are there with some monster Hondas and whatnot...Like peri said,some retards are also there clowning around like last time.most are just kids like the OP who can't rev match or shift even if their life depended on it...If you're going to see them park your car far away from the 'strip'.Don't want some asshat showing off and plowing on to your ride.