• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Electrical Issue Cefiro A33

cefiroA33

Question

Hi Guys,

Couldn't log on to this forum for a long time owing to busy work schedule and ofcourse the car was running smooth.

But recently I had this issue with the electrical system for which I fix 100%.

To begin with my Nissan Cefiro A33 starts in the morning without any problem and during the day time it runs smoothly with AC and radio on.

But during night time, when the lights are on, and while its running, I could observe that the dashboard illumination dims time to time and at the time it dim, the radio and the AC is also switching off. head lamps also dims time to time. I showed the problem to few mechanics and they ran some tests for which following actions were taken time to time.

1. One guy told me that it must be something wrong with the alternator and asked me to get it serviced which I did and the problem vanished for few days but again it appeared.

2. Then his view was that the battery might be defective which I couldnt agree because Its only been one and half years I replaced the battery from A*W

3. Then I took the car to A*W and they had a good look at it and their view was that its not the battery but the defective alternator but replacing the alternator with a second hand one would cost me something like 45K.

Can someone please advice me if this issue could be addressed with less cost. Are there any reliable mechanics that would assist me in this regard. Otherwise my only option is turn in to A*W for their reliable but costly service.

Regards

11 answers to this question

The charging current from the alternator is not enough. It's possible that the regulator is shot and you *may* resolve this by replacing the regulator. You can show it to a good electrician and see. But remember, it would only be a short term remedy.

The long term solution would be to replace the alternator.

• Like 1

Sounds like either the voltage regulator is faulty or the alternator is faulty. (The voltage regulator is mostly integrated into the alternator an can sometimes be bought as a separate part).

Go to an auto electrician like Pala and see what the exact issue is and if the current components can be repaired.

Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Yes I am hoping to take the car to Pala tommorow morning. Would replacing of the Alternator cost me heaps? I am sorry guys this is the fist time the alternator is giving me problems so I am not sure of the cost associated with it.

Thanks.

Even if the regulator is integrated to the alternator, it can still be fitted externally (so that it stays outside the alternator). But you must be careful if you plan to wash the engine bay.

I notice that your location is Moratuwa. There's an electrician called Saman near Buddhagosa School in Hospital Road, Kalubowila. He does these type of work.

• Like 1

If you are going to change the alternator first be absolutely sure of it. Checking an alternator is not a rocket science unless of course the fault is of an intermittent nature and difficult simulate. If you can start the car in the morning then there is no basis to suspect the battery at all. While alternator is the most likely cause as pointed out by Crosswind and The Don, do not let the electrician to discount the possibility of a loose connection. Does the symptoms persist even when you stop the engine? I mean if you keep the engine on ignition but without starting does the head lights go dim?

• Like 1

Like Rumesh88 said, a good auto electrician will be able to diagnose this type of problem in a flash. My car developed the same kind of issue (dimming dash lights and headlights, stereo going off etc.) and the issue was a faulty regulator. Instead of replacing the alternator, I got it serviced and put in a brand new genuine regulator.The car's been running about 2.5 years from that point now without any related issues at all. I got this done at Pala. Their work is good but charges tend to be a little bit on the high side.

I believe this is the best option for you if they discover that it's a faulty regulator. Get the alternator checked and serviced during the repair, they'll replace the bearing (if worn out) and check the coil for damage and connectivity issues. If everything is good, you'll have an alternator as good as new after the repair.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Took the car to Pala and it seemed the Alternator had been modified at some point without I am being aware. Plus the faulty regulator was replaced as well. in the meantime after all are fixed and the engine was running to test the battery voltage, it was observed that one fan was not working as well. But my car never had a heating issue although it seemed to be running from a single fan. However it was replaced as well. Did couple of night trips thereafter and so far no issue. We shall wait and see. Thanks guys for your valuable advice. Looking forward for them in future as well. Thanks alot.

Hi Guys,

Took the car to Pala and it seemed the Alternator had been modified at some point without I am being aware. Plus the faulty regulator was replaced as well. in the meantime after all are fixed and the engine was running to test the battery voltage, it was observed that one fan was not working as well. But my car never had a heating issue although it seemed to be running from a single fan. However it was replaced as well. Did couple of night trips thereafter and so far no issue. We shall wait and see. Thanks guys for your valuable advice. Looking forward for them in future as well. Thanks alot.

My car I think has a similar problem to yours. I plan to get it rectified after the body work is over. How much did all of this cost and how long did it take?

One thing that's good about Pala is that they actually do check for issues that may be related. I noticed this when I went with one of my friends to get his Carina AT210 checked out for an electrical issue (starter motor related) and while they serviced the starter, they also replaced the ground wire that runs directly from the starter to the battery because it was faulty. That was over 4 years ago. I see that they are continuing that good practice.

Anyway, glad cefiroA33 got the car repaired.

Hi all,

Don, Well to be specific with my fault what the key person there told me was that a plate has been replaced earlier with an incorrect one where the correct one should have 8 diodes but this one only had 6 diodes plus two lines were given direct supply. Thats what I understood. Regulator has also been faulty. This job cost me 22.5K. I never checked for any other places and add to this my last time alternator service only charged 2K which I presume only removing and refixing. and it took only one day for the total job.

Davy thanks for your concern and this is my first job done at Pala and there seems to know what they are doing. I was looking for a reliable mechanic in Colombo area so that I can put my car to the repairs in the morning and pick it up after work. Pala seems a good option.

Hi all,

Don, Well to be specific with my fault what the key person there told me was that a plate has been replaced earlier with an incorrect one where the correct one should have 8 diodes but this one only had 6 diodes plus two lines were given direct supply. Thats what I understood. Regulator has also been faulty. This job cost me 22.5K. I never checked for any other places and add to this my last time alternator service only charged 2K which I presume only removing and refixing. and it took only one day for the total job.

Davy thanks for your concern and this is my first job done at Pala and there seems to know what they are doing. I was looking for a reliable mechanic in Colombo area so that I can put my car to the repairs in the morning and pick it up after work. Pala seems a good option.

Pala is an old company and has a good reputation when it comes to fixing motor electrical issues. Not sure how they are with anything else, and I don't think they fix electronic issus like fixing circuit board, which at times can be very useful for older vehicles where parts can't be easily found