• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda 3 Automatic Transmission Fluid

mazda3@snej

I guess need to change the automatic transmission fluid of my Mazda 3. I got recommended by ca******t for change the fluid for Rs :sport-smiley-005:19,500. I guess that is too much, maybe :sport-smiley-005:

What are the other solutions that i have ? any brand or some other fluid

Ok here is the deal. If Car mart is using genuine Mazda fluid then the price sounds correct. If you have CVT transmission then its best you stick to genuine fluid.

To put it in perspective, I got charged nearly 10K to change the fluid of a Swift HT51S using non Suzuki original fluid. The fluid was around 6000 and the rest was labour. The original Suzuki fluid is 4 times as expensive.

Don, judging by OP's profile pic I don't think his Mz3 is CVT (only the latest model years had CVT).

Your recommended ATF is M-V (it would be marked in your ATF dipstick) and although you can try substitutes, you cannot find a reasonably good one for cheap. So my advise is to stick to M-V.

I changed my ATF on the Axela 2 months back and here are the quotes I got for genuine Mazda M-V;

Colonial - 19k (ATF + labor)

Mazna - 17.5k (ATF + labor)

Carmart - 17k (ATF)

Asiri - 16k (ATF)

Rainbow - 13.5k (ATF) > negotiated down to 11.8k for a 4L can and replaced it myself (drain & refill ++)

(My old ATF was not bad in color or smell but I felt a slight lag/slip in transmission and was a bit low on the dipstick)

Edited by vishkid
  • Like 2

Don, judging by OP's profile pic I don't think his Mz3 is CVT (only the latest model years had CVT).

Your recommended ATF is M-V (it would be marked in your ATF dipstick) and although you can try substitutes, you cannot find a reasonably good one for cheap. So my advise is to stick to M-V.

I changed my ATF on the Axela 2 months back and here are the quotes I got for genuine Mazda M-V;

Colonial - 19k (ATF + labor)

Mazna - 17.5k (ATF + labor)

Carmart - 17k (ATF)

Asiri - 16k (ATF)

Rainbow - 13.5k (ATF) > negotiated down to 11.8k for a 4L can and replaced it myself (drain & refill ++)

(My old ATF was not bad in color or smell but I felt a slight lag/slip in transmission and was a bit low on the dipstick)

Thanks for the details :)

yeah carmart was talking about the ATF MV. I think i should have a visit on Rainbow..

The usual process that service guys do in ATF change in my car-eventhough it is not axela, even not a mazda,

1.They suck out all the oil from the gear box by a suction pump through the openimng for the dip stick.

2.put app. 2l of ATF and run the engine few minutes and put the gear liver back and forth few times and suck the flushed oil again.

3.remove the sump and filter and wash them and refix them.

4.Put new oil up to the level.

I don't know wether this is a wrong or obsolete way. But if this is the way it is not like changing the engine oil and you can not DIY if you do not have fair bit of knowledge.

• Like 1

The usual process that service guys do in ATF change in my car-eventhough it is not axela, even not a mazda,

1.They suck out all the oil from the gear box by a suction pump through the openimng for the dip stick.

2.put app. 2l of ATF and run the engine few minutes and put the gear liver back and forth few times and suck the flushed oil again.

I don't know wether this is a wrong or obsolete way. But if this is the way it is not like changing the engine oil and you can not DIY if you do not have fair bit of knowledge.

I suggest its best done via an ATF exhanger operated by somebody who knows what they are doing, else you run the risk of damaging valves.

Some vehicles have posts for the ATF exchanger to connect to which makes the job easier. Some like you say need to be attempted using the dip stick opening (Like the Japanese Alto).

You can also use ATF flush fluid instead of using ATF fluid to do the flush as well.

I observed how Pit stop did it on the family Swift and to be honest they were very attentive and thorough, and the chap who did it was friendly and answered all my questions and let me hang around while they did it. Maybe my Sister's doctor badge helped (its her car).

The manual method I know of involves removing and cleaning the sump as well. I used this method once but wasn't satisfied with the result. It also leaves a percentage of old fluid behind, and I had a slight lag afterwards.

This is what I did myself except i/o #1, I drained through the sump. I used a can of BG Mercon-V in the 2nd step.

There would hv been some old ATF in the system but percentage-wise I think that's something I can live with.

Mazda only recommends M-V (non CVT, for BJ, BK& BL chassis) and other ATFs are not suggested. Most of the service stations in SL put multi vehicle ATFs such as Dexron 2 for Mazda vehicles without knowing the fact , which could lead early failures of the Mazda Auto Transmission systems.

As vishkid said simple drain and refill method is ok for mazda3. However to remove more old fluid out, repeat the exercise at least twice within short periods, since this method does not refill 100% new transmission fluid.

• 2 weeks later...

M-V (M5) is the ATF for Mazda. But keep in your mind that 2nd quality fluid also in the market. Therefore always advisable to purchase from Agnets or well recognized / genuine place. Just drain & refill is ok. But better to clean the sump before add new oil