• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Would The Market React To The 2015 Budget Proposals?

tcfern1

Ok looks like after that wave of honda fits our roads seem set to be flooded with another surge of Viva Elites and Maruti's and a plethora of vans. Pretty soon we wont have the roads to drive our price-reduced econo-boxes and I guess we will all take the train like our grandparents used to do.

• Like 1

Latest update from my frnd who engaged in vehicle import said, small cars (below 1000CC) and van price go down and no big affect for hybrids and normal cars. probably 15000 prices deduction may happen.. ;)

Edited by arun-online
  • Like 1

Today at EY Budget Brief, Prof. Attigale said that the the total tax on cars below 1000CC has been reduced to 173% from present 202% and for passanger VANs its brought down to 100%. Similar adjustments on other vehicles also.

I Just tried to reverse compute the price adjustment to the Maruti ALTO 800 priced at 1.85mn

Assuming 100k is the profit margin, the cost of the car including all the taxes is assumed to be 302% (100% CIF value + 202% taxes), now it would have become 273% (100% cost + 173% taxes) thus adjusted price would be,

(1.85mn - 0.1mn ) / 302% * 273% + 0.1mn = 1.68mn

If the importers sticked to their profit margin, the price should come down by 170,000.

since VAT is removed, when leasing the leasing companies will not be able to claim input vat, however there will be VAT on lease installments. therefore I guess it would be correct to say an additional 11% will be added to vehicles bought under new tax regime,when leased.

since VAT is removed, when leasing the leasing companies will not be able to claim input vat, however there will be VAT on lease installments. therefore I guess it would be correct to say an additional 11% will be added to vehicles bought under new tax regime,when leased.

What is meant by VAT is removed ?

Does it mean we can forget that 11% altogether or is it gonna be charged in some other mechanism ?

Today at EY Budget Brief, Prof. Attigale said that the the total tax on cars below 1000CC has been reduced to 173% from present 202% and for passanger VANs its brought down to 100%. Similar adjustments on other vehicles also.

I Just tried to reverse compute the price adjustment to the Maruti ALTO 800 priced at 1.85mn

Assuming 100k is the profit margin, the cost of the car including all the taxes is assumed to be 302% (100% CIF value + 202% taxes), now it would have become 273% (100% cost + 173% taxes) thus adjusted price would be,

(1.85mn - 0.1mn ) / 302% * 273% + 0.1mn = 1.68mn

If the importers sticked to their profit margin, the price should come down by 170,000.

Even sales managers at A*W hasn't come up with the new pricing structure

Does it mean we can forget that 11% altogether or is it gonna be charged in some other mechanism ?

At the point of import there was 12% VAT charged. this VAT can be claimed by Leasing Companies, thus if you go for a 100% leasing, the leasing company would claim the respective input VAT and the lease value would be only the amount excluding VAT. When you pay lease installments,; Leasing company would charge you VAT on installment, which is called Output VAT. by the time you fully repay your lease, you would have ended up paying VAT on the value of the vehicle and on the interest payments made so far.

Now the VAT on import point in fully removed & replaced with Excess Duty, which means there won't be no VAT claimable by leasing companies when doing a leasing. thus the lease value will be inclusive of all the taxes. No changes made on the VAT on lease installments. Therefore, when you are to pay installment VAT will be charged.

Given that you get a vehicle lease of same value, your new installment will be at least higher by 11%

Edited by tinyman

So many worries about tax.

It’s a decision after all. Am I buying a car for the money I have in my hand or should I wait till possible tax reduction in next month? I am for one who just buy what I can afford and live happy. Just saying.

It seems nothing major will happen after all and nothing special for Hybrid vehicles.

below 1000CC cars will have the 25% tax reduction, but I heard that there will be appx. 10% reduction in prices of below 1500CC vehicles as well. This can be due to new tax structure.

Anyway better to wait few weeks or even till end of this year, till things get cleared and settled.

From what i know hybrid tax will come down for small cars will be 50% from current 60%.

Vezel should come down by Rs. 300k

Will let know by tom on the exact figure.

Vezel comes down by 50K

Now only Excise duty, no more VAT, Custom duty, NBT etc..

http://www.ceylontoday.lk/51-76391-news-detail-vehicle-prices-drop-by-rs-80000-to-12m.html

Governmet getting more tax due to more imports is not as black and white as you might think, because with imports your foreign currency reserves go down, which affect the Rupee, which can make imports more expensive and leave the country in a situation it cannot import basic essentials due to lack of money...........

The SL Rupee is not a tradeable currency so the only way foreign currency (here the most important currency is the dollar which is used to trade most comodities like oil, gas and various raw materials) is through exports, and through loans and foreign aid......

So the strategy in place before however derided by the automotive community was the right one if this is the objective and this is just an election ploy. They will have to revert to that at some point to stabilise the economy, so the moral of the story here is, once the reductions start to take effect, those who were waiting to buy vehicles should complete, as it is unclear how long the window will be left open.

Also in terms of reduction, people need to understand the difference between percentage and percentage points. For example a reduction from a 200% tax to 175% tax is not a 25% reduction but a 25 percentage points reduction. The actual percentage of reduction in that scenario is 12.5%