• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tata Safari Ex 2003

dinukamendisj

I am planning to buy a Tata Safari 2003 or Tata Sumo 2004-2006 Models. My Budget Is 15-16. Any suggestions... Heard that the spare parts are easily available and it’s very good in fuel with less maintenance. Thankx ...

You already said that you are planning to buy one

You already said that it's a good, easy to maintain vehicle.

What suggestions do you need from us? Do you want us to tell you not to buy it? Do you want us to tell you to go ahead?

Just one point. I saw a 2003 Safari advertised in Hitad last weekend for 1.2mill

• Like 1

You already said that you are planning to buy one

You already said that it's a good, easy to maintain vehicle.

What suggestions do you need from us? Do you want us to tell you not to buy it? Do you want us to tell you to go ahead?

Just one point. I saw a 2003 Safari advertised in Hitad last weekend for 1.2mill

I didn't say that... I said I heard... That’s why I need to clarify from the experts.... Or from the guys who used it actually ... Thanks

• Like 1

Spare parts are cheap - yes

Easily available - yes

Vehicle itself is cheap - yes

BUT

It vibrates like a takarang bus.

It feels like driving a TATA lorry

Interior is as good as a old Maruti's interior

Its got a turbo unit which gives trouble every week - but hey, parts are cheap no?

• Like 1

Almost all the sumos purchased by the police detorirated very quickly and most of them are not in running condition anymore if I'm not mistaken. Since 32 sri Landcruisers and 61- pajeros are still running it can't only be the poor maintenance. Just consider that as well before buying. Mahindra Bolero and Scopian is also another option but not sure whether it falls within your budget.

If you're so keen on sumo try police auction. you might be able to get it cheap and restore.

All the Indian 4WD options are ridiculously bad, and sadly I didn't expect it because while in India in 1998 I really quite fancied a Sumo, though the vehicles we were being driven around in were brand new.

But I live close to the police park in Nugegoda and having walked around the many vehicles dumped there for auction, I'm fairly convinced a Japanese jeep from the 1970s is a much better option. Parts are cheap, but its old technology and the quality of components used is particularly bad.

If you can stretch and buy a Pajero from the 1980s and you can get a short wheel base model for about 1.8. An infinitely better vehicle.

Save yourself the trouble, buy a Palath sabha Pajero or if you can stretch a bit, a 90s 70 series Landcruiser. Superior in EVERY way to the Indian junk.

If you cant stretch that far, you may be able to pick up a Hilux 106 within your budget, still will be better than the Sumo etc.