• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Ac Conversion From Manual Ac

codexdj

Hi,

I'm not sure whether I'm posting in the correct section or using the correct jargons. I have a belta 2007 with manully controlled AC and I want to control it to auto system where I can set the temperature. Is this possible? Is it recommended?

If so where can I do it from?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm not sure whether I'm posting in the correct section or using the correct jargons. I have a belta 2007 with manully controlled AC and I want to control it to auto system where I can set the temperature. Is this possible? Is it recommended?

If so where can I do it from?

Thanks!

A bit of research in the web reveals of a G grade belta with auto a/c , but i havent seen one. But u might be lucky to come across a frontal cut of a belta with auto a/c in delkanda / kurunegala and i presume the swap would be easy. Also check on the vios. Although it is 1.5 and a thai made , the a/c components and dash panels should be interchangable.

A hop to ebay on yaris may also help u.

I did a climate control conversion once on a Ford Mondeo yeons ago. I don't know how easy or difficult it is in a Belta but for the Mondeo it was pretty straightforward. I DO NOT recommend this for an inexperienced person.

This is what you need:

Switch panel that supports climate control (if you can't plug the switch panel to the car directly, you will need to buy relevant dashboard parts

AC Controller wiring diagram - you may need to hack the wire harness to find the correct wiring.

Cabin temperature sensor

Sun load sensor

Auto fan for the cooler

Tools:

Dashboard removal tools

Soldering iron and lead

Thermometer

Basically you need to replace stuff and fix the sensors. It would start working

Alternatively, you can spend few hundred thousand and buy the whole climate control system (cooler, wire harness, dashboard, controllers, sensors etc) from a chop shop.

For European cars (that's why I love them), you will find all these parts for few hundred rupees on ebay.co.uk and you will find all instructions on the Internet on how to do the conversion. For JDM cars, it's extremely difficult to find the correct bits and pieces and instructions. The whole conversion for the mondeo cost me about 2000 rupees and 1/2 a saturday of elbow grease

Again, let me repeat. I DO NOT recommend this.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 4

Thanks for the instructions CW!

If I had the repair manuals for belta I would have some hope, but without them I'm not even gonna think of trying diy. I have the workshop manuals of 1000cc 1kr-fe engine of belta but drive a 1300cc 2sz-fe! Any suggestions where I can buy the whole system with installation? The guy must know what he is doing since there are whole lot of lines going in and out in the area.

Btw, I asked Toyota Lanka about this and they told me that they could bring the dash board down for me if I tell them a chasis number of a similar model that has climate control. I will not back down until I'm certain that this cannot be done/ or is not worth the risk and will keep you posted.

Anyone happen to own 1300cc belta workshop manuals? Much appreciated if can post here :) Thanks!

All depends on how centralised the controls are. In my old Mitsubishi the whole unit is one and is on the dashboard with the display at the other end. Everything connects to this, so swapping this over and sourcing the missing sensors is likely to work.

But if you have a distributed control system with multiple control units, then its a bit difficult. It helps if all cars share the same wiring harness as well, which makes it easier.

Crosswind has identified the necessary components, and ironically you can even create the circuit if you have a wiring diagram and the control unit and dashboard

Thanks for the instructions CW!

If I had the repair manuals for belta I would have some hope, but without them I'm not even gonna think of trying diy. I have the workshop manuals of 1000cc 1kr-fe engine of belta but drive a 1300cc 2sz-fe! Any suggestions where I can buy the whole system with installation? The guy must know what he is doing since there are whole lot of lines going in and out in the area.

Btw, I asked Toyota Lanka about this and they told me that they could bring the dash board down for me if I tell them a chasis number of a similar model that has climate control. I will not back down until I'm certain that this cannot be done/ or is not worth the risk and will keep you posted.

Anyone happen to own 1300cc belta workshop manuals? Much appreciated if can post here :) Thanks!

First of all, the engine type, compressor type, gas etc are irrelevant for a climate controller conversion. You will not even need to open the bonnet to do it. Everything you need to do is inside the cabin of the car. Secondly, the workshop manual will not help much except for the instructions to remove the dashboard. Generally Japanese vehicles have components which are easier to remove and refix so I don't see much of a need for the workshop manual.

The really crucial information you need for this is the wiring/pin-out diagrams of the controllers and the placement of sensors. Sun load sensor usually goes on the far end of the dashboard, very close to the windscreen.Cabin temperature sensor can be placed anywhere, but to give correct readings, it should be close to the AC vent, inside the dash. I don't know whether the Belta will need any more components, but its unlikely.

The most difficult and time consuming part for me was hacking the wiring to get the correct wires connected and placing the sun-load sensor without damaging the dashboard.

A job like this, should not be given to a neighbourhood AC repair guy. They WILL mess it up. This needs a bit of analytical skills, care and diligence. I personally would only trust myself with a task like this. However, if there's someone who has done it before, you might be able to get this done with minimal damage.

I also don't think any shops in Sri Lanka will sell readymade climate control conversion kits for Beltas. They work on supply and demand. If there's an overwhelming demand (such as EX Saloon - Super Saloon conversion kits, AD Wagon - Wingroad conversion kits in the past), there will be kits for sale. You may have to find out the necessary parts and source them individually.

Most importantly, I have personally owned few cars with climate control on them, including the current Focus which has dual zone climate control. But it always seems to be running on single-zone manual mode. Honestly, do you really really need climate control AC on your car????

• Like 1

Honestly, do you really really need climate control AC on your car????

CW, If you have driven a car with manual ac you would know it. In auto control, all i have to do is set temperature and fan level then don't even have to look at it! But NOW, I have to control fan speed if the temperature is too high and too low and sometimes have to control cool level as well. This takes my attention off from the road which is very dangerous. On top of that the resale value would uplift slightly if I would be able to replace this with a original belta dash. Also, a slight improvement in fuel efficiency. My top priority is the 1st point!! Would like to know if there is some other way to overcome this.

Thanks for asking :)

CW, If you have driven a car with manual ac you would know it. In auto control, all i have to do is set temperature and fan level then don't even have to look at it! But NOW, I have to control fan speed if the temperature is too high and too low and sometimes have to control cool level as well. This takes my attention off from the road which is very dangerous. On top of that the resale value would uplift slightly if I would be able to replace this with a original belta dash. Also, a slight improvement in fuel efficiency. My top priority is the 1st point!! Would like to know if there is some other way to overcome this.

"Manually" Controlling the tempreature is a mere case of turning the fan speed knob a notch or 2. You DONT need to control the "Cool level". I presume you're referring to the Hot-Warm-Cold Knob. And You dont to this every 30 seconds. At most once or twice a hour. Does it really distract you THAT much to reach for a knob which is always in the corner of your eye?

The resale value may go up a bit, but think of the cost of BUYING all the new components and LABOUR of fixing it? Will you make more money in the end? Really?

Removing a perfectly good dashboard is asking for trouble. The moment you remove it and refix it (even if its the same dash) it is VERY likely that it wont be fitted to factory specs. There'l be a loose screw or a unset beading resulting squeeks and rattles everytime you drive on a uneven surface.

You will NOT save fuel. There's a misconception among some people that if you have the blower at speed-1 you burn less petrol than at speed-4. WRONG. Whenever the A/C Compressor is engaged (irrespective of blower speed) there is a load on the engine. So you're better off over-chilling the cabin and then turning off the AC completely. But then again, you say that you arent physically skilled enough to do that.

In the end you're more likely to loose money rectifying future complications arising from your handy work. So don't expect economical benefits from this project. And if you feel you are incapable of turning the AC knob safely ask your passenger to do so. Or ask someone else to drive the car for you while you sit in the passenger seat and control the AC knob. Or save yourslef the hassle, sell the car and buy one WITH climate control.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Watchman on the points he has mentioned.

1. The increase in resale value is insignificant compared to the money and effort you will put in to your conversion and the risk that you take. If you are planning for a G-grade (or whatever grade) conversion, just don't do it, unless u want to be one of those cheap a$$holes.

2. No. Climate control does not save fuel. It uses up more fuel instead. The user manual of my Focus specifically states that having the A/C on AUTO mode will increase fuel consumption. After all, it does try to keep the cabin cooler than you want it to be.

3. I have driven non A/C cars, manual A/C cars and cars with climate controller on them. The hassle you mention is just something you need to get used to. It's like reversing without sensors. Climate controller is a perfectly useless option.

Now you may ask why I did the climate control conversion on the Mondeo. The manual A/C control panel in Mondeos are known for deteriorating fast and breaking in Sri Lankan climate. I could have replaced the control panel with another manual one, which would discolour and break again in 6 months. So I chose the option of going for a climate control conversion and also gaining some knowledge in the process.

• Like 3

You will NOT save fuel. There's a misconception among some people that if you have the blower at speed-1 you burn less petrol than at speed-4. WRONG. Whenever the A/C Compressor is engaged (irrespective of blower speed) there is a load on the engine. So you're better off over-chilling the cabin and then turning off the AC completely. But then again, you say that you arent physically skilled enough to do that.

agree with Watchman of all points except this. Newer cars equipped with variable load compressors where they load the compressor (hence engine) depending on the demand from the system. So technically speaking, in such systems, setting higher temp and lower fan speed will create less demand on compressor and saves fuel.

2. No. Climate control does not save fuel. It uses up more fuel instead. The user manual of my Focus specifically states that having the A/C on AUTO mode will increase fuel consumption. After all, it does try to keep the cabin cooler than you want it to be.

Breaking news.... climate control car market just crashed in SL... LOl...

• Like 2

agree with Watchman of all points except this. Newer cars equipped with variable load compressors where they load the compressor (hence engine) depending on the demand from the system. So technically speaking, in such systems, setting higher temp and lower fan speed will create less demand on compressor and saves fuel.

this i was not aware of... Thanks for that bit of info :)