• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lankan Second Hand Vehicle Market Comparison

sathyajithj99

Question

Gents, I would like to do a comparison of second hand vehicle market of Japanese vehicles in Sri Lanka according to the brand names as well as 10 years back and now. Correct me if I'm wrong. Your predictions about future market according to brands are also welcome ( not looking into the magic ball :sport-smiley-004: ) .I am not trying to say the most popular brand is the best.

10 years ago

Toyota > Nissan > Mitsubishi > Honda > Suzuki > Mazda

Now

Toyota > Honda > Mitsubishi > Nissan > Suzuki > Mazda

Even though Toyota still holds the first place I seriously doubt for how long... seeing all these all new vezels & fits invading the local car market.What do you think guys?

• Like 1

If we look 20 years back Toyota was not no-1 in SL. I believe it was Mitsubishi, Nissan & then Toyota. Others were small timers. Can you remember the days everyone's first choice normal sedan would be Mitsubishi Lancer, luxury sedan Mitsubishi Galant & SUV Mitsubishi Pajero.

But since then things have changed a lot toyota seems to rule the market. Honda is an awesome automobile manufacturer & that's why even in US they are highly preferred even better than toyota. I believe Toyota will stand no-1 for the next 10 years in SL. Many buy the Honda Fit because its cheaper than the Toyota Aqua. Here price plays a major role.

• Like 5

I think most people in Sri Lanka select Toyota as their 1st choice, beacause of the following over Hondas'

1] Fuel efficiency

2] Wide availability of spare parts

3] Easy access to maintenance & repairs

4] Higher re-sell value

Way the 2nd hand market behaving, point 4 may balanced in near future. For point 2 & 3, the agent; Stafford motors have to play a big role. What I feel that there will be more Honda buyers if these two points can be improved, regardless of the fuel factor. Hondas' have been always better & stylish driving machines than Toyotas'.

If we look 20 years back Toyota was not no-1 in SL. I believe it was Mitsubishi, Nissan & then Toyota. Others were small timers. Can you remember the days everyone's first choice normal sedan would be Mitsubishi Lancer, luxury sedan Mitsubishi Galant & SUV Mitsubishi Pajero.

But since then things have changed a lot toyota seems to rule the market. Honda is an awesome automobile manufacturer & that's why even in US they are highly preferred even better than toyota. I believe Toyota will stand no-1 for the next 10 years in SL. Many buy the Honda Fit because its cheaper than the Toyota Aqua. Here price plays a major role.

I can remember those days,

We bought a Mitsubishi Lancer CB8 was almost twise as much expensive as the same day corolla.

Things have changed since then,

I don't know why the Mazda is sitting on last, based on my experience compare with other brands

1. Design - Mazda is on top

2. Fuel efficiency - Reasonably OK.

Axela/Mazda 3

City 12 KM/L, Outstation 14 KM/L

Mazda 6, 2L (2014) (customer reviews)

City 14 KM/L, Outstation 17 KM/L

As fookie said above, we should be glad that Mazda is last on these people's lists - we get to drive those superior cars without the market pressure on pricing (well we're at a disadvantage when it comes to disposing/upgrading, but the driving-owning pleasure accumulated over the years, kind of makes up for that!)

• Like 3

As fookie said above, we should be glad that Mazda is last on these people's lists - we get to drive those superior cars without the market pressure on pricing (well we're at a disadvantage when it comes to disposing/upgrading, but the driving-owning pleasure accumulated over the years, kind of makes up for that!)

Ditto that.

I think the same when it comes to Peugeots.. glad that it's nowhere to be seen in this so called list. :D

• Like 1

Amen to that.

And i think toyota really started to rule the market since the mid 2000's with the popularity of the 110 and the 121, followed by the arrival of Allion Vios etc and then around 2010 a sudden plethora of Vitz's appeared. Frankly though I'm now surpised by the Vitz -> Fit conversion rate ..almost every Vitz owner I know has shifted to a Honda Fit.

Nissans were quite popular (remember the doctor sunny in the 1990's) upto and including the FB15. But I think the N16 disappointed and the Tiida didn't become popular (despite being a decent ride) and somehow popularity of the common Nissan models have reduced.

Amen to that.

And i think toyota really started to rule the market since the mid 2000's with the popularity of the 110 and the 121, followed by the arrival of Allion Vios etc and then around 2010 a sudden plethora of Vitz's appeared. Frankly though I'm now surpised by the Vitz -> Fit conversion rate ..almost every Vitz owner I know has shifted to a Honda Fit.

Nissans were quite popular (remember the doctor sunny in the 1990's) upto and including the FB15. But I think the N16 disappointed and the Tiida didn't become popular (despite being a decent ride) and somehow popularity of the common Nissan models have reduced.

From the KE20 era, the Corolla always did well, but people always considered the Lancer and the Sunny to be better cars. Toyota's first really popular car was the KE-72, but still the Lancer wagon was a better car. The AE 80 and AE 81 also did very well but the Sunny was still doing well but the Lancer starts to lag behind. The HB12 is considered by many to be the best Sunny ever made (though some argue its the FB13) as it was a solid car which rarely had problems.

But by the AE 100 the tide had started to change, as for the first time the Corolla trounced the Sunny and Lancer in build quality, quality of interior and seemed ahead. The FB13 still did well but start to find the Lancer now starting to lag behind. The FB13 was the first Sunny to test the Sunny faithful as its electronic carbs and suspension had issues.

By the AE110 the Corolla was now king...........

From the KE20 era, the Corolla always did well, but people always considered the Lancer and the Sunny to be better cars. Toyota's first really popular car was the KE-72, but still the Lancer wagon was a better car. The AE 80 and AE 81 also did very well but the Sunny was still doing well but the Lancer starts to lag behind. The HB12 is considered by many to be the best Sunny ever made (though some argue its the FB13) as it was a solid car which rarely had problems.

But by the AE 100 the tide had started to change, as for the first time the Corolla trounced the Sunny and Lancer in build quality, quality of interior and seemed ahead. The FB13 still did well but start to find the Lancer now starting to lag behind. The FB13 was the first Sunny to test the Sunny faithful as its electronic carbs and suspension had issues.

Ah yes the legendary 'trad' sunny.. I was very small back then but I remember everyone was talking about the 'trad sunny' during the early 90's and i think it was quite popular till the mid 90's as well.

Edited by matroska

You can say that again! And it is the last car with "square shape" isn't it. Had one from '94 to '99 and then changed to an AE110 in '99. Before all this it was a KE20 in the family. Going with the tide one might say.

I was going through the post and thinking to comment on HB12 and two already commented. Have to agree with that. Trad Sunny has special looks and feel too.

• Like 1

I was going through the post and thinking to comment on HB12 and two already commented. Have to agree with that. Trad Sunny has special looks and feel too.

When you say "feel", one thing I always remember is the distinct and unique click sound you get when you close the door.

• Like 2

One of the reasons why Mitsubishis and Nissans had a better market share in the 80s and 90s was the fact that they had more options than Toyotas of the same era. Also Toyota dealership was run by Freudenberg until the 90s, which made a pig's breakfast out of the market. Toyota taking over the Sri Lankan dealership, financial woes of Mitsubishi and NIssan in Japan, Unit#d Mot#rs bringing down a problematic batch of Lancers, Nissan deciding to downgrade the Sunny to a POS (I'm talking about N16), all contributed to the rising of Toyota in the local market and virtual downfall of Mitsubishis and Nissans.

On a related note, Toyota has always been the market leader here in the passenger van market since the 70s. Mitsubishi Rosa continues to be the unrivalled leader in the 26-30 seater A/C bus market. However, the Chinese will eventually take over this market.

Edited by Crosswind

I am glad Mazda is last , hope it would be like that for coming years. So we can afford stylish , fun to drive cars rather than overpriced ones that every Tom, Dick and Harry buys.

It is not always true mate. When I was looking for Mazda 3 2nd generation, I've found that all of Mazda 3's are about 3.6 mil and most of the 141's and axio's are less that that price. And most of the Mazda's are sold. For Mazda, my general option is that there is a crowd that looks for Mazda and are willing to pay a premium for the brand.

The KE20 was my family's first car. My dad owned one from 1984 to 1988. It had original paint and everything still worked.... well apart from the passenger side wiper which seemed to always come lose, and a silencer bracket which collapsed.

I think its safe to say the Trad Sunny was the last Sunny which was on par of better than the Corolla in that generation.

When it comes to vans I think since the 1980s the Hiace has been king of that market, not just in Sri Lanka but all over Asia and Africa (notable exclusion India who had import restrictions)

In terms of double cabs it was a mixed picture as well. I think the Datsun Double cabs were the initial leaders in the 1980s and I think every body is so familiar with the twin light model, and in the late 80s we see the Mitsubishi L200 making significant gains, and the emergence of the LN106, the Hilux that really dominated the market.

It is not always true mate. When I was looking for Mazda 3 2nd generation, I've found that all of Mazda 3's are about 3.6 mil and most of the 141's and axio's are less that that price. And most of the Mazda's are sold. For Mazda, my general option is that there is a crowd that looks for Mazda and are willing to pay a premium for the brand.

Yes there is a crowd who looks for Mazda and I think Honda also has that kind of a crowd.

Mazda and Honda lovers usually doesn't switch the brands. They simply upgrade to the next version.

• Like 1

Compare with same class vehicle Mazda is always ahead with the build quality.

Yeah man experienced that my self as well . It was really difficult to find a good one for sale. And the ones, that were left either high milage ones or changed hands few times. These were a though sell I guess. Mazda's constantly get good reviews on the net , so I guess it will help them in coming years.

Just check on asking price of an Astina :sport-smiley-004: . fanboyism ;)

Yes there is a crowd who looks for Mazda and I think Honda also has that kind of a crowd.

Mazda and Honda lovers usually doesn't switch the brands. They simply upgrade to the next version.

Yes. What makes the Mazda’s more appealing is they stick to their motto of developing cars that are different and exiting to drive. Their offering is limited in terms of the number of models. But, they seem to put lot of thought in developing those models and stick to their motto of "Zoom Zoom" which I believe has the meaning of “If you're an adult, you have to have fun". So, when you drive a Mazda, it brings up that little child in you who craves to have fun with his toy cars. Thus, often you tend to build a close bond with the car. I guess that’s why I find it difficult to be parted with my BJ5P after several years of ownership. Don’t know whether others will agree on this. But, that’s how I feel about Mazda’s. :)

• Like 3