• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Egr Valve Honda Fit Hybrid

AMI0755

Question

I had a fault in my car, and found out that it is caused by the EGR Valve,

1 - what is EGR Valve

2 - what does it do,

3 - what is the impact of running with faulty EGR Valve

The fuel consumption of the car became low and the car jerks at time when i accelerate slowly at very low RPM

3 answers to this question

1. EGR is Exhaust Gas Re-circulation. You might as well googled it.

2. EGR valve recirculate a portion of exhaust gases back into the cylinders under ECU control (there were old vacuum operated ones too). ECU determine the opening and closing of the valve based on the load. At peak load and at idle the EGR is kept closed. Its primary purpose is to meet the strict emission standards on oxides of nitrogen (NOx). When you inject exhaust gases back into the cylinder it replaces a portion of the combustible material with a relatively inert gas thus bringing the overall combustion temperature down thus reducing NOx emissions. Also at light loads the engine run a bit more efficiently as the mixture is pre-heated.

3. Rough idle and loss of power at high load if the valve is stuck open. If it is stuck shut you will get rough engine and less pulling power on light loads.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1