• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan "leaf"

SREE

LEAF not a good car use, as the First Vehicle....if u have net metering System the cost you have bare is lower than the Gasoline charges.....

it takes about 4.5 hours to get a full charge....car is good and very smooth. buts its bulky....one of my clients are very happy with dat unit..because he is having Solar Panels installed in his house with net metering system....

Cost effective if you are commercial electricity user, per unit cost is around Rs. 22-27 or less if you are industry.

Charge the darn thing at office

Electric vehicles are cheaper to run and more efficient for 3 reasons.

1. Bulk power generation is a more efficient process than local power generation (like a internal combustion engine in a car)

2. Bulk power generation is cheaper

3. Electric vehicles themselves are more efficient than their internal combusion cousins

BUT this is Sri Lanka ....

1. The CEB is a bloated corrupt organisation which still runs at a massive loss completely due to political decisions.

2. New cheaper coal power power generators are not working at all, or when working do not run at full capacity due to technical problems forcing the CEB to rely on more expensive diesel or gas for power generation.

3. There is no policy to deal with the power crisis, so the politically favoured decision has been to tax the middle and upper classes who consume more power to try to keep consumption down, thus the layered pricing

4. The CEB has too many employees who does nothing, enters into pointless contracts with contractors who deliver nothing, but pay comission to middlement and politicians so nobody really cares, but these costs put CEB in a loss making position

I can go on. But if it makes people feel better, even India has the power generation issues (as in a shortage due to poor planning) but their organisations are not as corrupt as ours, so electricity is cheaper.

I know a guy who has one(tech guy). He's a one who does not like fuel burning cars and loves his leaf though I can't swallow the idea of living with a car with such a limited rage.

He says it can do about 120km on a full charge and says it costs either 3 or 5 Rupees (cannot remeber exactly) per 1 km to run. Never got to ride in it yet but he says it's got a damn good accelaration.

• 1 year later...
On the face of it this could be good news for Leaf and other electric vehicle owners. Check http://www.ceb.lk/for-your-residence-2/. for dual tariff.

The peak tariff is a stunning Rs. 54/- per unit and that's effective between 5:30 PM and 10:30 PM where most of us mortals are using electricity. I wonder if anyone other than electric car owners and A/C users will have any benefits from this system?

Like to do some number crunching and find the optimal point where one should consider switching over tariffs?

The peak tariff is a stunning Rs. 54/- per unit and that's effective between 5:30 PM and 10:30 PM where most of us mortals are using electricity. I wonder if anyone other than electric car owners and A/C users will have any benefits from this system?

Like to do some number crunching and find the optimal point where one should consider switching over tariffs?

Actually I got my first bill yesterday which worked out at less than 2.5 units/day on peak, which required only few changes on ironing time. Peak is only 5 hrs out of 24

I do agree benefit will be only for high users may be 300 unit up.

Actually I got my first bill yesterday which worked out at less than 2.5 units/day on peak, which required only few changes on ironing time. Peak is only 5 hrs out of 24

I do agree benefit will be only for high users may be 300 unit up.

What's important is not the total number of units used but also the usage patterns. The decision should be made by identifying the optimal usage pattern. Peak may only be 5 hours but that's when most people use electricity at homes.

What's important is not the total number of units used but also the usage patterns. The decision should be made by identifying the optimal usage pattern. Peak may only be 5 hours but that's when most people use electricity at homes.

Actually I went through the pain of analyzing my usage by reading the meter at 05.30, 18.30 and 10.30 for 15-20 days to find out exactly my usage pattern.

My findings were that I was more or less using equal amount of electricity on each slot.

This will depend on individual household so you will have to do your own study.

For a month I was consuming 250-300 units without vehicle charging and a/c bill came to Rs. 12k

Now with vehicle charging and a/c I pay less for 600 units

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I found this link very useful concerning that this guy Nimal has done an actual indagation by putting his own Leaf to the test. His total distance is 1065kms from Beruwala to Jaffna and returning back home via several routes. Hope I'm allowed to share links from other forums.

Check this out! 

Long Trip experience with the Nissan Leaf

11 hours ago, bikermonkey99 said:

I found this link very useful concerning that this guy Nimal has done an actual indagation by putting his own Leaf to the test. His total distance is 1065kms from Beruwala to Jaffna and returning back home via several routes. Hope I'm allowed to share links from other forums.

Check this out! 

I felt like torture reading it :(

18 hours ago, bikermonkey99 said:

Check this out! 

This guy should have definitely taken the public transportation without going through that agony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peugeot407 said:

This guy should have definitely taken the public transportation without going through that agony. 

LMAO he sure knows to get things messy but some of his findings are useful... :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, NRX said:

I felt like torture reading it :(

I felt the same at first but, given that it is some kind of a travel log with an excessive research, I found it a bit interesting for those who cherish zero emission! :D

2 hours ago, kush said:

I never get this in Colombo, maximum 135-150km indicated 80-100 km actual on 100%

KWh of a full charge seems right at 20 units

I have the same concerns mate, need to dig deep into the content! -_-

• 6 months later...