• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan "leaf"

SREE

Hi,

I have seen few Nissan "Leaf" cars (Electric car) around these days..anybody know how they charge the vehicle? any charging stations in SL?

Brgds

Sree

Never heard of a Charging Station. But plug in to your home can charge it as I heard. Correct me if I am wrong pls.

ya may be..but I saw about a year back this was advertising saying that they are going to set up charging stations all over the country..

Even I saw that, but it was just some advertising to sell what they have brought down it seems. For a leaf, it may need to have many charging stations because a single charge may drive you almost 100+ Kms depending on the road condition. Anyway, If one own a Nissan Leaf, kindly post the actual Kms that it can do for a single charge.

If you wanna be a guinea pig and try one out so be it but I say wait till the infrastructure develops to properly use and maintain these cars.It's the same thing we said when the first hybrids started coming to SL.

Right now all electric cars are highly impractical.For example it'll take two days to go to Anuradhapura in a Leaf.And as Harshan said there are no savings or environmental benefits.

The Tesla looks cool tho.

Edited by MasterDon

known person to my brother bought one. Guess what, next month the electricity bill jumped over 30k :D it's more or less the same amount of money i spend on my vehicles pumping diesel.

what we have to realize is Sri Lanka is a country which generates electricity by burning fossil fuel. So running an electric car (unless you have your own solar charging facility) wouldn't help neither environment nor economy.

30K!! seriously ?? can pump about 191 lit petrol for that amount..

It was diesel but still he said it was on his vehicles. So it is quite possible. Also the high cost of electricity on charging an electric car from a domestic sully is not only due to the high generation cost but due to the domestic tariff system as well. How about the cost when the much touted 25% reduction comes into effect? :speechless-smiley-004:

The company who first imported Leaf cars is trying to set up their charging stattion network these days. They are planning to install them in the premises of a popular super market chain, mainly in Colombo during the first phase. I don't know how long it'll take.

And one more thing, the distance travelled per charge could be as low as 50km or less depending on the driving style; a well-experienced Nissan Leaf owner told me.

In the US version the dealer fixes a charging station like thingy to your house, You need to have many requirements,

Was wondering, So does the unit come bundled with the car here or is it just find the nearest clipsal?

CEB has introduced a new system called net metering for houses with solar power generation systems. Under this scheme CEB buys the power generated by solar system. If the usage is lesser than the number of units generated by solar system CEB gives credit to the user but not refund/ repay the money. So for those users electric cars is one way of using their credit.

But cost of installing the solar system and cost of buying an electric car is out of reach for many.

• Like 1

known person to my brother bought one. Guess what, next month the electricity bill jumped over 30k :D it's more or less the same amount of money i spend on my vehicles pumping diesel.

what we have to realize is Sri Lanka is a country which generates electricity by burning fossil fuel. So running an electric car (unless you have your own solar charging facility) wouldn't help neither environment nor economy.

I did put this argument across on a similar thread. So my calculations were true. Heh heh so much for Electric Power in SL.

If the seller gives you the option on getting the Solar Charging stations I must say that it would be one of the best investments you can do.

Saw Mahindra advertising their car as well recently.

yes the bill jumped up by that amount as we have an incremental charging slabs. What marketing guys have done was, calculating the total number of units to charge the car for a month and multiplied by just the unit price. But in the real picture, these units would be added on top of your current household electricity bill. That's why it's highly impractical to charge these cars from the household electricity unless otherwise you have an alternative power source such as solar pannels.

on my diesels, one is a van which runs back and forth to school to drop/pickup kids and the other (1.7 ton (1635kg) 407 SW HDi with 2.0 ltr intercooled turbo) is crying for super diesel and only does about 7kmpl in city limit. :)

It was diesel but still he said it was on his vehicles. So it is quite possible. Also the high cost of electricity on charging an electric car from a domestic sully is not only due to the high generation cost but due to the domestic tariff system as well. How about the cost when the much touted 25% reduction comes into effect? :speechless-smiley-004:

well said Rumesh!

• Like 1

I also had the interest of buying a Leaf. One year ago when i inquired from the importer *V Lanka they told that 12 charging station will be establishing within one year and cost for full charge will be around Rs 700/=. Again I called them last month & inquired how many charging stations have been installed. The answer was people are purchasing cars with out asking about the charging stations and they have postpone the project of charging station.

As I got to know from a person who is using nearly 15 units of electricity is needed to a full charge. It runs more then 150 km in Colombo.

I also had the interest of buying a Leaf. One year ago when i inquired from the importer *V Lanka they told that 12 charging station will be establishing within one year and cost for full charge will be around Rs 700/=. Again I called them last month & inquired how many charging stations have been installed. The answer was people are purchasing cars with out asking about the charging stations and they have postpone the project of charging station.

As I got to know from a person who is using nearly 15 units of electricity is needed to a full charge. It runs more then 150 km in Colombo.

That's for a partial charge. The battery capacity is 24 kwh and hence even with a 100% charging efficiency (which it is not obviously) you need 24 units for a full charge. What this person must have referred to is the daily consumption of units to bring the partially discharged battery to a full charge. I don't think a charging station can provide you a full charge at Rs. 700/= at the current industrial rate of Rs. 21.50 a unit unless of course they give a 25% discount! But then what about VAT and fuel surcharge etc.

That's for a partial charge. The battery capacity is 24 kwh and hence even with a 100% charging efficiency (which it is not obviously) you need 24 units for a full charge. What this person must have referred to is the daily consumption of units to bring the partially discharged battery to a full charge. I don't think a charging station can provide you a full charge at Rs. 700/= at the current industrial rate of Rs. 21.50 a unit unless of course they give a 25% discount! But then what about VAT and fuel surcharge etc.

Its very hard for me to accept that we are ready as a country to have electric cars whereas almost all the electricity bills are subsidized by the government. basically drive of electric cars today is helped by the funds from the general public which is completely other way around compare to vehicles run by gas.

Government ran a huge campaign sometime back to reduce electricity usage but on the other hand let people import these type of cars.

just my two cents

Edited by s.madura

As per their specs, the battery takes 30mins to fully charge. not sure its 100% charge or not. but still im will not spending 30mins of my time in charging stations to run 150km even though its Rs.700/=

As per their specs, the battery takes 30mins to fully charge. not sure its 100% charge or not. but still im will not spending 30mins of my time in charging stations to run 150km even though its Rs.700/=

well how it works is you hook it up and do chores... charging stations are usually next to a supermarket where you can do your groceries, gym etc (in all the youtube videos). all it all its hard to picture here. most of the supermarkets have tiny parking spots. i`m happy to live close to one which thought about parking.

Its very hard for me to accept that we are ready as a country to have electric cars whereas almost all the electricity bills are subsidized by the government. basically drive of electric cars today is helped by the funds from the general public which is completely other way around compare to vehicles run by gas.

Government ran a huge campaign sometime back to reduce electricity usage but on the other hand let people import these type of cars.

That is such a valid point, i never thought of that. Atleast for diesel vehicles buyers have to pay a premium upfront (well even that was minimized thanks to the car permits). Yet another demonstration of how narrow sighted this regime is.

LEAF not a good car use, as the First Vehicle....if u have net metering System the cost you have bare is lower than the Gasoline charges.....

it takes about 4.5 hours to get a full charge....car is good and very smooth. buts its bulky....one of my clients are very happy with dat unit..because he is having Solar Panels installed in his house with net metering system....