• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing Tires From Us Via (Amazon/freight)

B2Spirit

I have been looking for 225/40R19 tires everywhere in Sri lanka (Contacted all the agents and the big wheel places like JJ Lanka / U&H).

Unfortunately nobody has it and the closest they can offer are the following which are not really suitable. i.e. 245/40(Too Wide for 7.5J Rim) & 225/45 (Too bigger change in Overall Diameter).

Toyo agents (the brand that i am currently running) earlier quoted a price of about 36k for a tire but now they are refusing to import and the others were not that willing as well.

So i have resigned to the fact that i would have to import the tires and go through the hassle of clearing it from customs.

I have come across a few options.

1. From Japan via Freight

2. From USA via Amazon to a local address and then ship from there to SL.

What are the pros/cons between the 2 options and personally importing tires?

Are there any difference in the tires based on the origin and targeted condtions?

Are there any restriction as to shipping those items out ?

Do you know any other alternatives ?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Try Autodrome(Bridgestone).They took on a few special orders for me.I don't think there are any restrictions but import tax is very high on rubber products.Sometimes as high as 100%.

Talked to most places including above mentioned, but the response was negative.

Do you know how the taxes work for tires, So i can get an idea how much it will be ?

Heard the tax goes something like either by weight or by price whichever is higher.

Talked to most places including above mentioned, but the response was negative.

Do you know how the taxes work for tires, So i can get an idea how much it will be ?

Heard the tax goes something like either by weight or by price whichever is higher.

Since your tire size is uncommon , such as 40 Aspect ratio, most of the distributors reluctant to order as they have a minimum quantity on ordering,

It is better to follow some direct channel, you have already mentioned, Customs duties are very high on rubber product , even for a small rubber washer

thinking that we have rubber lands and world leads in sport Tire manufacturing 'Made in Sri Lanka'. (When we look at Customs HS Codes - Zero for Helicopters,

nearly100% for a rubber washer !!)

Try to get a quote from 'cup'ruka global. I find their shipping and handling fee is reasonable but customs duty is about 10% higher. For me it's acceptable as delivery up to your door step plus no need to worry about clearing and bureaucracy.

Try to get a quote from 'cup'ruka global. I find their shipping and handling fee is reasonable but customs duty is about 10% higher. For me it's acceptable as delivery up to your door step plus no need to worry about clearing and bureaucracy.

Stay away from Kapruka!!!! That service keeps losing items (ask Komi what happened to his brakes) and recently I've realised they charged me for an item they could not deliver (and didn't deliver) and had to spend a couple of days arguing to get my money back.

If you need to import, either get the seller to post directly or a shipping agent like Trico will be happy to collect and forward. I've done this a number of times.

Try SK M********e (Dunlop) they are positive on special orders.

Shipping charges depends on volume, SL customs will whack you on duty may not be worth the cost.

Agents will have the advantage of discount plus shipping charges cos they get down in container loads.

Posting the relevant tax tables, if anyone's interested

x07JxzP.jpg

EDIT: well since the headers are missing, the taxes are General Duty, VAT, PAL, NBT and Cess in that order

Edited by vishkid
  • Like 1

I don't think they bring down tires anymore.

Sadly they've stopped importing tires now because of duty hassles apparently.