• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tesla Model S In Sri Lanka :)

Nishan.dj

Seriously? I drive a proper baby seal killing gas guzzler, but even I admit the Model S is nothing short of amazing.

Biggest advantage is a S-Class (sort of) sized full size car for 5% import duty.

It is a beautiful car, spec it up properly and you have nearly 500km of range, if you get the high performance version, you can put it into "Insane Mode" (Because Sports Mode is just so 20th century) which means 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds, That's Veyron territory.

Also it can drive itself (Doubt it'll work here in Sri Lanka). Its autonomous mode was so good that they had to reduce functionality because people were not paying attention while "driving".

All this for about 12-13 mil makes it a bargain, only if you are willing to take the risk of an unproven/unsupported product in Sri Lanka. If i'm in the market for a car in that price range, I know I would.

But it also needs a very good electric infrastructure and support network to work. They are only building that up in the US only now through supercharger stations. I don't know how practical that makes it in SL and I think that was Kavvz's question. I think people bring it to SL more for the novelty factor.

• Like 1

But it also needs a very good electric infrastructure and support network to work. They are only building that up in the US only now through supercharger stations. I don't know how practical that makes it in SL and I think that was Kavvz's question. I think people bring it to SL more for the novelty factor.

This is my question too. I dont think there is any support available in SL (Lack of a repair facility concerns me). SL is building charging stations but they are not Tesla superchargers where you can charge 80% in 30 min. But this electric car is a very practical car for SL. Like I mentioned 400+ km in one charge makes it really practical.

Seriously? I drive a proper baby seal killing gas guzzler, but even I admit the Model S is nothing short of amazing.

Biggest advantage is a S-Class (sort of) sized full size car for 5% import duty.

It is a beautiful car, spec it up properly and you have nearly 500km of range, if you get the high performance version, you can put it into "Insane Mode" (Because Sports Mode is just so 20th century) which means 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds, That's Veyron territory.

Also it can drive itself (Doubt it'll work here in Sri Lanka). Its autonomous mode was so good that they had to reduce functionality because people were not paying attention while "driving".

All this for about 12-13 mil makes it a bargain, only if you are willing to take the risk of an unproven/unsupported product in Sri Lanka. If i'm in the market for a car in that price range, I know I would.

Yeap seriously! I get the need for buying a Hybrid but why bother with the unsupported Tesla when you could have your pick of ANY hybrid / EV car from Japan that's supported here in SL? (You might even be able to source a Hybrid S class or other proven Euro hybrid too for that price as well, but I digress...)

If any thing goes wrong with the Tesla you're pretty much on your own based on what's stated above, and since its performed so badly on reliability reports as of date why take a chance and risk being stuck till you get parts (and perhaps an expert to install them) down from the US or Europe?

As for the other auxiliary advantages named:

1. Fit and finish is no where near that of an S-class. For a $100k (before taxes) you can ease into a pretty much any newish S-class / 7 series or A8 which are leagues ahead of the Tesla.

2. It can't drive it self, if by 'self driving' you are referring to lane following, and lane changing then yes, its pretty cool but none of that technology will work in SL during everyday driving. Try test driving a newer Merc in SL with lane assist and radar cruise control and you'll see what I mean. Cool tech but currently useless other than on a few select roads / highways in SL under very select conditions)

3. As for performance / dollar for value based purely on performance and nothing else: Yes totally its the winner in that scenario as the Tesla would be cheaper than an M5 / E55/ S65 etc due to the tax discount it would get but again not the best fit and finish or reliability....

So yeah, other than the wow factor and the- Hey! Mr Perera look at my Tesla factor! I don't see a huge advantage....but if that's all you are after then you could buy a Hybrid S class or something and achieve the same thing...

Edited by Kavvz

This is my question too. I dont think there is any support available in SL (Lack of a repair facility concerns me). SL is building charging stations but they are not Tesla superchargers where you can charge 80% in 30 min. But this electric car is a very practical car for SL. Like I mentioned 400+ km in one charge makes it really practical.

When it works! And when there's charging. (For example if you drove down the E01 for just one hour with the A/C on and stayed overnight would it be possible to get back home? It'd be cutting it pretty close I think. The situation would be even more dire if you went to Kandy or NE with the A/C on)

As mentioned above you can purchase other EV's with sales and maintenance support for cheaper or if you just want to impress the Mr Perera's of this world you can get something more dependable with a better fit and finish for the same money...However as Madmax states there's always the novelty factor which is hard to discount / value (after all if you can afford it, why not?!).

Practicality wise: I think the Tesla makes a whole lot of sense in the US, especially in the warmer regions like California, Nevada and Florida as well as to a somewhat lesser extent in NY, Washington, BC and Ontario; but I still fail to see how its desirable in SL...

Edited by Kavvz

When it works!

Plus as mentioned above you can get something else for cheaper or if as mentioned you want to impress the Mr Perera's of this world you can get something more dependable with a better fit and finish for the same money...but then as Madmax states there's always the novelty factor which is hard to discount / value (after all if you can afford it, why not?!).

I think the Tesla makes a whole lot of sense in the US, especially in the warmer regions like California and Florida, and to a somewhat lesser extent in Canada (and maybe Europe too, I'm not sure) but I still fail to see how its desirable in SL...

Your input is really encouraging, thanks for your valuable input. I m leaning away from tesla due to lack of support network. But if and when tesla officially launched in SL most of the disadvantages goes with it. So that should be the time to buy one. Its not the time to buy a tesla in SL yet. Like you mentioned there's the wow factor but when you think from your brain I started seeing the disadvantages. Correct me if I m wrong BMW 7 and Merc S class hybrids are not in the same price bracket in SL due to the tax architecture. But in US they are in the same price range. Thanks again for your input.

Correct me if I m wrong BMW 7 and Merc S class hybrids are not in the same price bracket in SL due to the tax architecture. But in US they are in the same price range.

Correct. In SL the Tesla would be cheaper I believe, but am not entirely sure how the new S class Hybrid would be taxed as its a plug-in Hybrid. It may work out to be the same?. Perhaps the member here who works at the Merc agent can clarify?

Edited by Kavvz

Your input is really encouraging, thanks for your valuable input. I m leaning away from tesla due to lack of support network. But if and when tesla officially launched in SL most of the disadvantages goes with it. So that should be the time to buy one. Its not the time to buy a tesla in SL yet. Like you mentioned there's the wow factor but when you think from your brain I started seeing the disadvantages. Correct me if I m wrong BMW 7 and Merc S class hybrids are not in the same price bracket in SL due to the tax architecture. But in US they are in the same price range. Thanks again for your input.

Correct. In SL the Tesla would be cheaper I believe, but am not entirely sure how the new S class Hybrid would be taxed as its a plug-in Hybrid. It may work out to be the same?. Perhaps the member here who works at the Merc agent can clarify?

Okay update time! :D I just did a quick calculation based on the current tax rate of 5% for electric cars vs a tax rate of 80% for Hybrid electric cars with a pre-tax valuation of $100k: The Tesla can't be compared to the new Merc S class Hybrid or any other Hybrid that costs more than $58k

When comparing the Tesla with other $100k non EV cars the after tax price difference is over $75k so really they don't even play in the same ball park. And since the savings are so large I think the risk of breakdown vs benefit ratio could make sense after all if the car was to be used as a second car for city use.

As there is really no equivalent car to the Tesla in terms of size and performance in the $58k price bracket I have to grudgingly see why there may be a practical reason to buying a Tesla for local city use as it would make it the cheapest new large car / full size car you could buy with some degree of cool factor and performance.

It still doesn't solve the reliability or the range issues, but I guess it has its place in SL after all as cheaper, large high performance city car for the more well healed who don't have access to MP permits?

Edited by Kavvz

Okay update time! :D I just did a quick calculation based on the current tax rate of 0.5% for electric cars vs a tax rate of 80% for Hybrid electric cars with a pre-tax valuation of $100k: The Tesla can't be compared to the new Merc S class Hybrid or any other Hybrid that costs more than $58k

When comparing the Tesla with other $100k non EV cars the after tax price difference is over $75k so really they don't even play in the same ball park. And since the savings are so large I think the risk of breakdown vs benefit ratio could make sense after all if the car was to be used as a second car for city use.

As there is really no equivalent car to the Tesla in terms of size and performance in the $58k price bracket I have to grudgingly see why there may be a practical reason to buying a Tesla for local city use as it would make it the cheapest new large car / full size car you could buy with some degree of cool factor and performance.

It still doesn't solve the reliability or the range issues, but I guess it has its place in SL after all as cheaper, large high performance city car for the more well healed who don't have access to MP permits?

Now there are more things we have to find out, is the electric car tax rate is still 5% or 50% (Remember budget increase the tax rate but MY3 said its gonna be the same 5%). Yes I would agree reliability issues would not solve by Tesla but if that can be solved by having tesla support center in SL I dont see a much problem with the range of the car. 450 km range means you can reach anywhere in SL from a one charge. So in theory this is not only a city car. This can be used as the only car as range is so high.

.... I dont see a much problem with the range of the car. 450 km range means you can reach anywhere in SL from a one charge. So in theory this is not only a city car. This can be used as the only car as range is so high.

Well a 450km range still only means a one way trip of around 150km once you factor in terrain and A/C (for example it'd be cutting it close if you start out in Colombo and try to make it to Kandy and back with the A/C on...)

I based my calculations on this document which stated the tax rate for EV's was 5% and 80% for other hybrid cars...

and the 450km probably doesn't factor in being caught being a bus that stops every 300-400m to pick up anyone and everyone who sticks their hand out.

I think Kavvz may be right on the fact that it's got no direct competitor in the market hence the need/demand. There's been quite a few on the road and few for sale right now.. does anyone know what the going price is?

Well a 450km range still only means a one way trip of around 150km once you factor in terrain and A/C (for example it'd be cutting it close if you start out in Colombo and try to make it to Kandy and back with the A/C on...)

I based my calculations on this document which stated the tax rate for EV's was 5% and 80% for other hybrid cars...

Well I have to disagree on that for this reason. They have taken into account for the terrain and AC. If you take into account SLs temperature you get even more distance. There are several parameters you can play with it in this page. Plus brake energy re-gen takes care of 80% loss energy when you are going downhill. So extra energy you spend going to Kandy would be regenerated when you come back to Colombo. In any case it looks like I gave up the idea on buying one.

Above paper is dated early 2015. We need to find has anything changed since current budget.

https://www.teslamotors.com/models

Scroll to the bottom you will see the calculator

Edited by kchemist

Well I have to disagree on that for this reason. They have taken into account for the terrain and AC. If you take into account SLs temperature you get even more distance. There are several parameters you can play with it in this page. Plus brake energy re-gen takes care of 80% loss energy when you are going downhill. So extra energy you spend going to Kandy would be regenerated when you come back to Colombo. In any case it looks like I gave up the idea on buying one.

Above paper is dated early 2015. We need to find has anything changed since current budget.

https://www.teslamotors.com/models

Scroll to the bottom you will see the calculator

Actually, they don't. Bit of a scandal in the US, this non-ac range calculation thing.

Still, I agree that given the range (even if 350), if we have the charging infra and support, it is the most sensible in terms of EV for SL use. Its the closest thing to a petrol car in terms of "pump and go" if superchargers are available. For a "buy a car" point of view, leaving aside all the environmental factors, coz thats a whole different can of worms.

I've test driven the damn thing in ludicrous mode and have to admit it is very cool. But for me it is still evolving technology. Look at how obsolete flip phones are and it's not even been 10 years. If I buy a BMW today it'll still look relevant in 10years but the Tesla might look like the old Motorola brick amongst newer EVs.

That said I will buy a Tesla one day!

I've test driven the damn thing in ludicrous mode and have to admit it is very cool. But for me it is still evolving technology. Look at how obsolete flip phones are and it's not even been 10 years. If I buy a BMW today it'll still look relevant in 10years but the Tesla might look like the old Motorola brick amongst newer EVs.

Any chance of buying one and flipping it before people move on? I see the older single drive versions are trading at a good discount in your neck of the woods now with low km's...Your thoughts on this Max?

Edited by Kavvz

Any chance of buying one and flipping it before people move on? I see the older single drive versions are trading at a good discount in your neck of the woods now with low km's...Your thoughts on this Max?

I don't think it's mainstream enough to easily flip. The market demographic for these cars are early adapters with enough disposable income and are very likely to always buy it new. That probably explains why there are quite a few on sale without many takers.

That's a very interesting point you got their abut the future relevance. Never thought of it that way.

If you are after a cheaper exotic EV, Fiskers are going for real cheap these days,

If you are after a cheaper exotic EV, Fiskers are going for real cheap these days,

Was just speaking academically xXx as I'm unfortunately not in the market for anything that fancy/exotic. But good point about the used Fiskers'! It totally slipped my mind when thinking about this...

Apparently (based on the googling I did when looking for used ones) Fisker is coming out with a new EV offering in 2016 (based on the Tesla maybe? After all Elon M did say that he'd license their batteries and power-train out to any manufacturer so as to advance EV adoptance- plus he probably figures that licensing would be a quick way to make Tesla profitable...)

Edited by Kavvz

I don't think it's mainstream enough to easily flip. The market demographic for these cars are early adapters with enough disposable income and are very likely to always buy it new. That probably explains why there are quite a few on sale without many takers.

Hmm...Good point about it still not being mainstream enough. Tesla is however offering very generous warranties on the pre-owned cars though which is quite interesting. Its almost as if they are trying to woo some business away from the CPO BMW / MB / Audi buyers.

But as you say it is a tricky market. Plus BMW, Mercedes, Porsche et al are going all gung-ho down the hybrid and EV route and its possible some of their EV offerings may attract the more mainstream customers away from Tesla.

Edited by Kavvz

That's a very interesting point you got their abut the future relevance. Never thought of it that way.

Fisker has gone belly up no? Plus they like to spontaneously combust. Also the fact that it has an engine might classify it as a hybrid, even though it's just a generator.

Edited by terrabytetango

Fisker has gone belly up no? Plus they like to spontaneously combust. Also the fact that it has an engine might classify it as a hybrid, even though it's just a generator.

Right on all three counts!

As a plug-in hybrid the Fisker does enjoy the freebies given to the Teslas' like exception of some taxes, HOV use, free charging at select locations etc. I think it ran off the GM Volts' power-train ( am not sure here) and if so, some support should be available to it. But overall I don't think it can be compared to a Tesla in terms of brand presence and technological innovation...and am not sure how it would stack up as a somewhat practical second car alternative due to a break in import taxes like the Teslas' do.

And when I said Fisker was producing a new Karma I was wrong as you rightly pointed out Fisker did indeed go belly up. They apparently reformed and re-branded under new (all american) ownership (they brag like that's a step up!) as Karma Automotive and are now ready to release a new version of the (Fisker) Karma. There's no news on old man Fisker re-joining as he's now busy re-branding Vipers' along with Bob Lutz. (It reads like a Benetton ad: The former GM of err...GM is now off rebadging Vipers' and Corvettes' along with the former European design chief of Aston Martin to make American cars look like a British sports car marque that is now owned by Kuwaitis' !)

Edited by Kavvz

Was just speaking academically xXx as I'm unfortunately not in the market for anything that fancy/exotic. But good point about the used Fiskers'! It totally slipped my mind when thinking about this...

Apparently (based on the googling I did when looking for used ones) Fisker is coming out with a new EV offering in 2016 (based on the Tesla maybe? After all Elon M did say that he'd license their batteries and power-train out to any manufacturer so as to advance EV adoptance- plus he probably figures that licensing would be a quick way to make Tesla profitable...)

Not to mention Faraday Future (another startup company) is starting shop at Nevada with a $ 1 billion dollar factory then rumor has it Apple is also working on a EV car (Elon musk believe apple is in fact working on it).