• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Rav 4 Aca36/31 Vs. Xtr

yasas_bandara

Okay,u are refering to the A30 series RAV4. In Asia the ACA31 and 36 are the chassis codes for the 4wd and 2wd versions (which most commonly are the JDM models that come with ths 2AZ-FE VVTi engine). What you refer to as XT-R is the euro (in particular UK spec) version of the A30 series RAV4. Looks wise the rear is similar to a JDM version Style grade without a rear mounted spare wheel and in some cases,after a mid cycle facelift, the front end of a Vanguard. The interior/steering wheel are also slightly different. Available options would also be slightly different I suppose. The biggest diffrrenc3s are the technical ones.

The Euro versions came with a 2000cc petrol 1AZ engine out of the older model RAV4 (in some countries they upgraded it to the 3gr 2000cc and/or 2400cc 2az engine later on) or a 2200cc diesel engine. The JDM 30 ssries only came with a 2400cc VVTi engine (2az-fe) The transmission was a standard 4 speed auto (again from the prev RAV4) or a 5 or 6 speed Manual. Later the auto was upgraded to a CVT in some markets the with the engine updates. JDM model had only a CVT gearbox. Although some preferred the old fashioned, simpler to maintain AT.

Both have the same active torque control AWD system with the XT-R having a 4wd lock button (again some euro markets). The JDM aca31/36 AWD cannot be locked. However the lock button only locks at speeds below 40kmph and automatically disengages at speeds higher than that (thus going back to the auto engagement of the rear wheels through torque sensing, the way the AWD works in JDM versions or without the lock engaged in the XT-R). When locked for extenxed periodzs of time it is known to heat up the differential's electro magnetic coupler and if it happens several times it burns out the coupler(so check for that when buying one).

The XT-R is compliant to Euro regulations so emmision control systems/features are compliant to that as opposed to Japanese regulations. The suspension in the XT-R feels slightly stiffer because they use slightly stiffer springs than in the JDM model but the rest of the setup is the same.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Wait. I just saw your side hinged door comment. Which XT-R version are u talking about ? The 30 series one also from 2008 period? Or the latest RAV4 2014+ model A40 series)? If so the differences are a bit different but some what along the same path. Diff engine capacities and variants (2000cc petrol 3zr/2200cc 2ad diesel),different/more-complicated CVT gearbox,similar AWD system,etc...the 3zr was also available in the A30 series RAV4 XT-R after the facelift. The frame/chassis/platform is completely different than the A30 series (in fact the platform is shared aith the nsw JDM Harrier). Suspension is different (supposedly not as poised as the A30 series or as comfy as the latest Harrier)

What i compared was the XT-R and JDM versions of the A30 series RAV4 between 2005/2006 till 2013.

I am praying u didnt mean XTrail...

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Dear iRage,

Thank you very much for your valuable information.

And sorry, I made a mistake with that side-hinged door thing. I was under the impression that 2008 XTR has a top hinged door. But I saw a youtube video which says otherwise.

I'm going to see a 2008 XTR model today and you were very helpful.

Thanks again.

Edited by yasas_bandara

• 1 month later...