• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cvt & Conventional Auto

dilan_randika

Question

9 answers to this question

Hello,

In conventional automatic cars, when you accelerate & release the gas paddle, car has some momentum & it flows.

But in CVT, car tends to slow & stop. How hard it to get used to the GAS paddle balance for CVT?

First time I've heard this mentioned, and to be honest I've not had anybody complain about having difficultly adjusting to driving with CVT.

Only real difference is you can't really use kick down etc to shift down, and ease off to shift up, and there aren't any fixed gear ratios.

Hi. I'm new to CVT & for last 7-8 years, I was driving conventional automatic cars with 1500cc.

In conventional automatic cars, I used to press the gas paddle & release but the car kept its momentum & what all I needed to do is use break paddle as needed to control. But in this CVT, when I foot off the gas paddle, car getting slow, which is bit difficult to make the ride smooth.

1. Is it normal? Why if so?

2. Is this due to CVT or 1300cc engine?

3. Will it be normal after getting familiar?

u know what though, even though the video says its easier to overtake at highspeed i find conventional autos easier to overtake if you kickdown

and tbh i never noticed any strong engine brake on a cvt to be that concern about balancing.

u know what though, even though the video says its easier to overtake at highspeed i find conventional autos easier to overtake if you kickdown

and tbh i never noticed any strong engine brake on a cvt to be that concern about balancing.

It sounds like the gears are not smoothly shifting up or down....

you sound like someone who's never driven a car with a manual gearbox. I mean all cars slow down when you take your foot off the accelerator and its just planetary autos aren't very good at this in town speeds. The issue is your throttle control has gotten bad from driving autos for so long.

cvt's are brilliant. especially when it comes to saving fuel. this is mostly thanks to this engine braking you find unfavorable and the fact that it always stays at the lowest rpm possible when cruising. get used to it and you'll hardly use the brake on open roads so theres relatively less wear and tear and the fuel usage will also go down by a big margin from not having to use petrol during engine braking.

As for those concerned with the lack of kickdown its just psychological thing. jerky downshifting and gradual rise of rpm and engine noise gives you the impression of acceleration but because of the infinitely variable nature of ratios in a cvt box it'll select the best ratio for the demanded power and take the speed up from there. Personally when I need a boot full of power I accelerate hard and then let go of the pedal a bit. This gives a more satisfying surge and doesn't bring up that annoying continuous engine roar cvts are famous for.

• Like 1

you sound like someone who's never driven a car with a manual gearbox. I mean all cars slow down when you take your foot off the accelerator and its just planetary autos aren't very good at this in town speeds. The issue is your throttle control has gotten bad from driving autos for so long.

cvt's are brilliant. especially when it comes to saving fuel. this is mostly thanks to this engine braking you find unfavorable and the fact that it always stays at the lowest rpm possible when cruising. get used to it and you'll hardly use the brake on open roads so theres relatively less wear and tear and the fuel usage will also go down by a big margin from not having to use petrol during engine braking.

As for those concerned with the lack of kickdown its just psychological thing. jerky downshifting and gradual rise of rpm and engine noise gives you the impression of acceleration but because of the infinitely variable nature of ratios in a cvt box it'll select the best ratio for the demanded power and take the speed up from there. Personally when I need a boot full of power I accelerate hard and then let go of the pedal a bit. This gives a more satisfying surge and doesn't bring up that annoying continuous engine roar cvts are famous for.

Jadey,

Thnx for such wonderful explanation. U made things more cleared. Ya I'm almost never driven Manuals for last 7-8 years :) & used to 4 speed auto a lot.