• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Unable To Find 10W40 Motorcycle Engine Oil

kevin1462

Question

Hey members! My motorcycle manual says (1999 honda hornet 250fx) it need 10w40 motor oil. I was searching all over colombo to find it. The only motorcycle specific oil that I found was motoul fully synthetic oil. Since I'm not running my bike that much, I feel like it's over kill for my purpose. Also I'm a little worried about running fully synthetic in my old and small engine.Could you please tell me if you have seen 10w40 mineral or semi synthetic oil around in sl? If it's not there can I import it?

7 answers to this question

Okay people need to understand this

The grade is given by two numbers separated by the letter W (meaning winter).

The first number, followed by W represents the low temperature viscosity, 5W, 10W, 15W... the lower this number, the more fluid at low temperature the oils, the easier the engine starts.

The second number gives the high temperature viscosity: 30, 40, 50. The higher this number, the more viscous the oil when hot.

For a country like Sri lanka where we dont have super cold climate (unless you are living in a place like nuwara eliya) you don't need a engine oil with such a low viscosity. You need something like 10W if you are having to do a lot of cold start.

just stick to something like 15W40 like Rumesh88 said.

The 10W40 stated in the user Manual make sence since the manual is made for Japan or probably another contry with colder climate.

• Like 1

Hey guys thank you for your valuable inputs. I'm planning to change my oil soon. I will update the thread when I do so. @hoonigan some people have experienced engine over heating issues because of fully synthetic in this particular engine.

I really don't know how thats possible to be honest. This is an air cooled engine or a water cooled engine?

In air cooled engines, the engine oil performs the tasks of heat dispensation as well, and if you use synthetic oils in old engines which have not had synthetic oil before, you sometimes end up with sludge blocking oil lines, so that might cause overheating. But in water cooled engines, it should not matter. Synthetic oil actually flows a bit better than mineral or semi synthetic.