• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Van Skids When I Hit The Brake Hard

Nissan cdj

Hey Guys,

here I am with another issue which encountered while I was Driving in Arangala Road today evening. I had to hit the brake pedal as the cab in front of me stopped all of sudden.so I hit the brakes a little harder than usual so my van (Nissan Vanette C22) skids and it seems like back (rear) of the vehicle skids to left and sometimes back of the van goes zig zag or in other words when I hit the brakes the my van skids a little before coming to a full stop.

1) So whats are the causes for this ? btw the rear treads of the tires and the brake pads are fine.

2) Can this be corrected ? or is it very familiar with Vans ?

Thanks in advance.

Nissan Cdj

Edited by Nissan cdj

This will help

as for suggestions: Drive slower.

Its a van, with no Honba, No ABS and No Airbags, you are basically the collision bars in a van. so yes. Drive Slower

Edited by Schiffer
  • Like 2

This will help

as for suggestions: Drive slower.

Its a van, with no Honba, No ABS and No Airbags, you are basically the collision bars in a van. so yes. Drive Slower

1.) lack of ABS

2.) Road Conditions

Also the weight balance. Rear is light. So grip is less. Tends to lock easily. Drive slower

Drive slower?...lol.. these posts gave me cancer...

OP there is this thing called adjusting the brake pressure and paddle feel.I'll make this simple as possible.Go to a garage and tell them to reduce the sesitivity.They'll look at the drums,shoes,booster unit,lines etc do the neccassary.It may take several trial runs to get right...If the problem still exists tell them to look at the brake load regulator unit.It should be somewhere underneath nearer to the middle of the vehicle...You can either replace it or repair it from Lal & Saman motors at Panchi.

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 8

Break Imbalance. Long time ago when we had a van had such a problem. When you apply break, it should be equal on both sides. Please get a mechanic to adjust the break pads.

Yes, This is something most of the people don't check i guess. When ever i do some repair on brakes i will do a break test. There are few places you can do this properly rather than testing on empty roads. In my case i go to Nalaka wheel alignment center as they have a break test machine.

Also in addition to what others have mentioned check the conditions on your tires. I would prefer to change all 4 tires at the same time to be in safe side. Also wheel balance and wheel alignment is very important in this case. (Hope you know causes of wheel balance and wheel alignment right?)

Not to forget the condition of your suspension as well. Suspension also play a major roll when it comes to traction in all cases including Braking, acceleration, cornering, driving on bumpy roads, etc etc etc.. You can test this too at Nalaka wheel alignment center.

Also be knowledgeable when driving a vehicle that does not have ABS, EBD, BA etc... I always keep in mind to control my foot in this situation and trying my best not to lock the wheels and if a possible collision your instincts would drive you to steer away safely. Which sometimes a combination of amount of brakes applied and sometimes with a little help of gas pedal too.. But its all about experience specially driving older cars. I'm not trying to be a "Pora" here but honestly old cars gave me a great ability of driving safely. Others might not agree with me but its just my way.

And a minor thing (If your van is a 4wd) newer 4wd systems provide more control especially in taking corners and braking while taking a corner, but older 4wd system has limited control. Finally its all on drivers hands what ever vehicle you driver right?

Hope this help at-least a little bit..

KMeeg.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

here I am with another issue which encountered while I was Driving in Arangala Road today evening. I had to hit the brake pedal as the cab in front of me stopped all of sudden.so I hit the brakes a little harder than usual so my van (Nissan Vanette C22) skids and it seems like back (rear) of the vehicle skids to left and sometimes back of the van goes zig zag or in other words when I hit the brakes the my van skids a little before coming to a full stop.

1) So whats are the causes for this ? btw the rear treads of the tires and the brake pads are fine.

2) Can this be corrected ? or is it very familiar with Vans ?

Thanks in advance.

Nissan Cdj

I drive a same model and I have no such issues on moderate speeds. Yes its does not have ABS or any other life saving luxuries, but it does not skid like that at all.

Try braking in a gravel area and see if opposite side wheels leave even wheel marks on the ground. if not even , you will need to balance the brakes.

Also check air pressure of the wheels, ( I set 40 PSI in the front and 35 PSI for rear for the vanette to be a bit easy for the passengers ( CEAT 8PR ) which seems to give no issues)

Does the nose of the van dives too much on braking ? chances are the front shocks are worn out or the front leaf springs needs strengthening.

if the nose dives too much, it will worsen the weight imbalance of the vanette further to the front thus making the rear loose the grip quicker.

• Like 2

Break Imbalance. Long time ago when we had a van had such a problem. When you apply break, it should be equal on both sides. Please get a mechanic to adjust the break pads.

well said & yeah I have to go and get it balanced.

Also the weight balance. Rear is light. So grip is less. Tends to lock easily. Drive slower

yeah when the van is with 2 or 3 people in the back It wont happen.

Drive slower?...lol.. these posts gave me cancer...

OP there is this thing called adjusting the brake pressure and paddle feel.I'll make this simple as possible.Go to a garage and tell them to reduce the sesitivity.They'll look at the drums,shoes,booster unit,lines etc do the neccassary.It may take several trial runs to get right...If the problem still exists tell them to look at the brake load regulator unit.It should be somewhere underneath nearer to the middle of the vehicle...You can either replace it or repair it from Lal & Saman motors at Panchi.

brake load regulator ?? is Break Load Regulator been called Body break eka in Garage bass language ?? BTW Thnxx for the valuable info.

Yes, This is something most of the people don't check i guess. When ever i do some repair on brakes i will do a break test. There are few places you can do this properly rather than testing on empty roads. In my case i go to Nalaka wheel alignment center as they have a break test machine.

Also in addition to what others have mentioned check the conditions on your tires. I would prefer to change all 4 tires at the same time to be in safe side. Also wheel balance and wheel alignment is very important in this case. (Hope you know causes of wheel balance and wheel alignment right?)

Not to forget the condition of your suspension as well. Suspension also play a major roll when it comes to traction in all cases including Braking, acceleration, cornering, driving on bumpy roads, etc etc etc.. You can test this too at Nalaka wheel alignment center.

Also be knowledgeable when driving a vehicle that does not have ABS, EBD, BA etc... I always keep in mind to control my foot in this situation and trying my best not to lock the wheels and if a possible collision your instincts would drive you to steer away safely. Which sometimes a combination of amount of brakes applied and sometimes with a little help of gas pedal too.. But its all about experience specially driving older cars. I'm not trying to be a "Pora" here but honestly old cars gave me a great ability of driving safely. Others might not agree with me but its just my way.

And a minor thing (If your van is a 4wd) newer 4wd systems provide more control especially in taking corners and braking while taking a corner, but older 4wd system has limited control. Finally its all on drivers hands what ever vehicle you driver right?

Hope this help at-least a little bit..

KMeeg.

Oh yeah well said thnxxx valuable info.

I drive a same model and I have no such issues on moderate speeds. Yes its does not have ABS or any other life saving luxuries, but it does not skid like that at all.

Try braking in a gravel area and see if opposite side wheels leave even wheel marks on the ground. if not even , you will need to balance the brakes.

Also check air pressure of the wheels, ( I set 40 PSI in the front and 35 PSI for rear for the vanette to be a bit easy for the passengers ( CEAT 8PR ) which seems to give no issues)

Does the nose of the van dives too much on braking ? chances are the front shocks are worn out or the front leaf springs needs strengthening.

if the nose dives too much, it will worsen the weight imbalance of the vanette further to the front thus making the rear loose the grip quicker.

1 ) oh your Vanette doesn't skid ? Are you serious ?

2) yeah i have to check breaking in a gravel area btw thnxx for the idea

3) My Tyre type is GT MAXMILLER 165 x 13 8PR and I set all four tires to 32 psi.I have never set it to 40 & whats the standard tyre pressure for vanettes for 165 13 ?

4) yeah i guess my shocks are worn out still i have the original oil shocks is it okay if I change all four to KYB Gas Shocks ?

Thnxx for being a Vanette enthusiast & giving valuable opinions & info.

And here I am with another advice / opinion which was given by my Dada ! He always asks me to brake without pressing the clutch & i don't do it that way all the time as i have used to press the clutch while breaking. So as i have no idea which is right or wrong I wish advices great opinion of experienced u guys ?

thanking you,

nissan cdj

And here I am with another advice / opinion which was given by my Dada ! He always asks me to brake without pressing the clutch & i don't do it that way all the time as i have used to press the clutch while breaking. So as i have no idea which is right or wrong I wish advices great opinion of experienced u guys ?

thanking you,

nissan cdj

Are you joking?

Partial braking its obvious nah that we don't have to press the clutch i mean aplying brakes fully.

I do not understand fully your words. I am thinking that your reply should be amended as follows. By the way punctuation is everything.

"Partial braking, its obvious that we do have to press the clutch when applying brakes fully"

I am no expert so let us see what the experts say. Still my two cents are that when your partial breaking you do not have to press the clutch. The more you press the clutch the parts associated with the clutch are worn out. Such as the clutch pedal, bearings and most importantly the clutch plates.

Let me try rephrase, "it's obvious that we don't have to press the clutch when partial breaking. I'm talking about full braking where we don't"

Your sentence was indeed difficult to understand because of the word "know". It took some time to figure out you meant "noh"! Wow that was an early morning twister.

My fil has a Vanette. Same problem. Easy to lock up if you stand on the brakes. Did all of the above but still can't outrun simple physics. When not on load, heavy braking will cause rear wheels to lock up. So we all decided to avoid such situations as much as we could by driving slower.

Okay..no disrespect but the question about braking indicates that you are a new driver ? For most seasoned drivers this should and would be all muscle memory :)..oh to be young again....

Brake first then clutch (accordingly) second. Try to use engine braking as much as possible; especially if you are driving a car with a heavy load or down hill etc..as the brakes may not necessarily give you adequate braking force to stop the vehicle in time. So brake first, use a judgement call as to when to clutch and if and when appropriate (depending on the braking situation) shift down accordingly (and hopefully you won't get the car stalled).

Do a bit of a test....go to a lonely stretch of road...do the two types of braking from standstill to standstill...measure the stopping distance and see which worked better.At the end of the day what matters most is you get the dang thing stopped and not kill anyone !

If you drive with the logic of wearing out components of a car every time you brake, clutch, accelerate, etc...it is best you leave the car at home ne ?

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Meanwhile I fell asleep that might be the reason to mislead.

@ I RAGE - Anyways I have been driving for about 5 Years and I am not new to this with the experience I have got. But even for a full stop its better not to press down the clutch until the vehicle vibrates, as the tyres are under pressure rotating forward it will not lock up the tyres even if we press the brake hard. And shifting gears to control the engine is the best option as everyone knows when it comes to manuel.

Edited by Nissan cdj
  • Like 1

thanking you,

nissan cdj

Your Dada is right. Whenever you need to apply brakes it should be the right foot moving to the brake pedal first and then the left foot to clutch but that too, only if you need to shift into a lower gear. Simple rule is that clutch has nothing to do with braking the vehicle, but comes into play only when you want to change the gear. Even during hard braking it is the same story. You will learn to release the clutch just before your engine stalls as you get seasoned with driving.

Meanwhile I fell asleep that might be the reason to mislead.

@ I RAGE - Anyways I have been driving for about 5 Years and I am not new to this with the experience I have got. But even for a full stop its better not to press down the clutch until the vehicle vibrates, as the tyres are under pressure rotating forward it will not lock up the tyres even if we press the brake hard. And shifting gears to control the engine is the best option as everyone knows when it comes to manuel.

Talk about a bunch of posts with contradiction.

First of all...considering how long, locations, types of vehicles, etc...some of the members have been driving; 5 years is nothing :)

Secondly....aren't you the one who first asked if you should brake first and then clutch or clutch first and then brake ? Aren't you the one who said you clutch and then brake almost all the time and your daddy, quite rightly, told you not to ? Then you went on to specifically ask what to do when wanting to brake to a complete stop (seemingly because your habit of clutching and braking extends to such situations). Now you say you know what to do which is brake and then cluch. So now you are either claiming not to be clutching and braking almost all the time (which you clearly said before) or are claiming that you know the proper way to do it and that you are not doing so because of ignorance or simply know better than conventional wisdom chose not to do so (if you think about it your "muscle memory"/habits automatically makes you clutch and then brake because you learnt the incorrect method in the first place.)

Also you just wasted everyone's time who actually bothered answering your trivial question regarding braking....something which you should have learnt 5 years ago when you got your driver's licence (and to be honest should not have even gotten one in the first place if the question ever had to be raised...not sure about the other members but I answered your question because I was giving you the benefit of the doubt which I now realize was an utter mistake)

Please get your brakes balanced and serviced...but then again I am starting to believe the rear end getting unstable might also be more due to an error that resides between the steering wheel and the driver's seat <EDIT:****DELETED**** please stick to what Komi suggested and drive in a way that suits your vehicle>.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2