• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Soft 4Wd

Ginger

Question

Gents, I am planning buying soft 4WD. Choices are Honda CRV / Rexton / Rav4/ X-Trail (new model) or anyother similar vehicle.

Regarding utility and other, I am considering....

1. Soft off road drive - in case needed when going outstaion

2. Long distance driving comfort

3. Reliability

4. 2nd hand market value

I think the price range does not vary much, except may be for X-Trail. How do you compare the above SUVs. Any idea about show room cost of these vehicles (not from agents) from car dealers - appreciate help !

I guess this type of 4WD is enough for Ginger's weekend fun.. :sport-smiley-004: (With a Montero Sports..)

One of my friends Montero sports has the same kind of armadillo bumper, and can be seen if you go around IT Park in Dematagoda. (Not good to say the exact office right?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT3rQnQp-GM

Edited by kmeeg
  • Like 1

Many thanks gents, Montero sports is also a bit bulky for me. Vezel is ok, but seems to be between Fit and CRV. Nissan QashQai seems to be ok, but not sure whether available in SL. So the list narrows down to

CRV

X-trail

Rav 4

Outlander (Hybrid )

No one has any experience with Chevrolet Captiva (made in Korea) ?

Many thanks gents, Montero sports is also a bit bulky for me. Vezel is ok, but seems to be between Fit and CRV. Nissan QashQai seems to be ok, but not sure whether available in SL. So the list narrows down to

CRV

X-trail

Rav 4

Outlander (Hybrid )

No one has any experience with Chevrolet Captiva (made in Korea) ?

It is available in Sri Lanka as Nissan Dualis , Ginger. Actually Chevrolet Captiva is not that popular in Sri Lanka. If you seriouly consider about resale value go for a RAV 4, Nissan Dualis is also the same as RAV 4 in many aspects but here comes again the 'resale value' :speechless-smiley-004:

One more point gents: No one who owns CRVs / new X-Trails / Rav 4 / Outlander, has come forward to help, with their owen exprience.

If those who bought them in 2013 are the best to comment .... why they are silant ???

There is another topic where they have considered these vehicles in detail. I think irage is the main with the information on X Trails and CRV, RAV 4. There is also a slight possibility that not many members own these particular models. You might have to be a little patient.

One more point gents: No one who owns CRVs / new X-Trails / Rav 4 / Outlander, has come forward to help, with their owen exprience.

If those who bought them in 2013 are the best to comment .... why they are silant ???

+1 to what The Don said about the other threads and almost all with experiences with these models discussing them there.

...I owned 2006/2007 and 2008/2009 RAV4s which is the same as the 2013 (ACA31/36), again if you are talking about the RAV4 (xxA30 series) that TL sells then there are some slight differences in the engine, transmission and AWD system in which case everything I have stated about the RAV4 becomes a bit irrelevant.

Again if you are talking about the latest RAV4 in the export market then all I have done with that is drive it about 300m so no idea...(also this RAV4 shares the same platform with the newest Harrier)

The CR-Vs are ones I have regular access to. (Ironically to all 4 generations...granted again..JDMs) the X-trails (NT30 & 31 series) have been on and off long-term borrows and the 3rd gen X-trail (NT32 series) has been on several test drives so they are mainly first (to third ?) time impressions.

No idea about the new Outlander and don't know anyone who has one either. Didn't see much of the gasoline variant at all but now starting to see the PHEV variant somewhat frequently.

Ok here goes, I brought a 2013 last June, had it for nearly 15 months now, done 15,000 km

Does 7-8 km/l in Colombo in my daily commute from Hokandara to Colombo.

Best 16 km/l on a trip to Puttalam, average out station 12 km/l

Service cost at the agent very reasonable, only little more than the average service station.

Very roomy for five, enough boot space for stuff of three kids.

More comfy than the Lancer EX that got replaced and the Corollas/ Allions/ Prado/ Montero which I have been in and driven.

Handling is typical small SUV you can’t throw her around corners, but can eat long distances at decent speeds without much effort.

Not very good at traffic light drags but when it starts going between gear acceleration good (mine is a 5 speed auto not the CVT JDM)

Brand new imports are not idiot proof so you don’t get traction control or stability control you get in the JDM. Neither cruise control and useless navigation system.

Plus side you get electric leather seats and electronic 4WD, which I felt kicking in rarely.

Would have preferred little more ground clearance, and with the limitations on the 4WD didn’t have much courage to put her off road.

It concurs speed bumps, pavements and bad roads without any difficulties.

Most probably will get replaced by a Audi Q5 or a Harrier when time comes

Sorry friends for the delay. Visited Rexton, CRV, Monterro, KIA, Mazda, Grand vitara, Toyota agents and few major car dealers. But still undicided. Toyota agent Rav 4 2014 is expensive and around 13.4m. very impressive car with a lot of options. Rexton was good - noisy engine, plastic interior look, same with grand vitara. Vitara is behind Rexton in terms of options.

KIA feels much luxurious, Mazda was a smaller vehicle, price range is same. CRV is ok with a price tag of around 8.7 including registration and RMV tax. I am planning seeing Captiva and 2014 new X-Trail of which the price range is same.

My leave is nearing end... do not know whether could seal a deal....???

Sorry friends for the delay. Visited Rexton, CRV, Monterro, KIA, Mazda, Grand vitara, Toyota agents and few major car dealers. But still undicided. Toyota agent Rav 4 2014 is expensive and around 13.4m. very impressive car with a lot of options. Rexton was good - noisy engine, plastic interior look, same with grand vitara. Vitara is behind Rexton in terms of options.

KIA feels much luxurious, Mazda was a smaller vehicle, price range is same. CRV is ok with a price tag of around 8.7 including registration and RMV tax. I am planning seeing Captiva and 2014 new X-Trail of which the price range is same.

My leave is nearing end... do not know whether could seal a deal....???

As you have mentioned earlier this going to be a "Man driven car" and you already have a good comfortable car why don't you consider buying a used good 4x4 which you are not bothered scratching or doing mods? You can get-together with your friends and have some off-road fun. And its a total different fun when you do mods to your 4x4. So example modifying your air intake to a snorkel and have some off-road fun with water?

Just talk to your friends and see if this option is worth. If they do off-road and camping they will tell you lot of awesome places in SL where you can go with a good 4x4 (Eg - Good condition Defender 90 / 110) which you can enjoy with family. But you should be ready to take the scratches and dents to the vehicle to enjoy these kind of trips. But i know that different ppl have different taste and this is just mine.

KMeeg.

Yes sathyajithj99. It is above the permit allowance, that is the reason for the high price. Evoque is within the permit allowance. New Rav4 seems, a bit smaller or compact. Does not have the look of similar SUVs, like CRV. But have few more options like, sensor controlled hatch back. Thanks

Really ? I thought it felt a bit larger but the layout of the interior makes it feel a bit cramped (higher dashboard top and lowered seating in front.... It is supposed to be slightly larger than the current JDM RAV4 (aca30 series) and a bit shorter than the vanguard. In essence it supposed to be only a few mm difference between the new Harrier which it shares the platform with.

Uhh.....really ? the Evoque falls "within" the permit price bracket and a RAV4 doesn't? So SL customs actually believe that a RAV4's MSRP FOB price is actually higher than an Evoque's ???

Still 13.4 mil....it'll be a wonder if they have sold any :)

So what are you feeling more favored towards ? It seems like you have looked at all the options available for a soft roader....