• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tow Rope - Place To Buy

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi guys,

I do need to buy a good towing rope for me. Its basically for my 4DR5 Jeep and may use for other works too if needed. So where I should look for? Any place you know, please reply. Thanks a lot in advance.

Edited by Nishan.dj

13 answers to this question

Hi guys,

I do need to buy a good towing rope for me. Its basically for my 4DR5 Jeep and may use for other works too if needed. So where I should look for? Any place you know, please reply. Thanks a lot in advance.

AC Paul Panchikawatte has rated lifting straps. Those serve as good towing ropes & winch extensions.

A friend of mine who has been offroading for a long time recommended using seat belts. Anyone here with any experience with that? I ended up buying an ARB snatch rope rated for 8000lb but if the seat belt thing is legit, a 150 ft roll only costs around 60 usd on ebay.

A friend of mine who has been offroading for a long time recommended using seat belts. Anyone here with any experience with that? I ended up buying an ARB snatch rope rated for 8000lb but if the seat belt thing is legit, a 150 ft roll only costs around 60 usd on ebay.

Yes, seat belts are used in recovery situations where you have no proper recovery gear. Does the job, but if you are into off-roading as a hobby, it is best to have proper recovery gear.

Yes, seat belts are used in recovery situations where you have no proper recovery gear. Does the job, but if you are into off-roading as a hobby, it is best to have proper recovery gear.

Cheers mate! I bought the 8,000 lb ARB rope. Is that OK or do I need to upgrade?

Yup mate seatbelts work big time, they even use them to life engine blocks diffs etc, pulled my land rover out of block 2 once, the issue is the length though and not that beneficial when winching etc

They do have a massive load rating and tensile strength.

However i'd prefer a steel wound cable, with the D- shackles at the end.

I've seen regular off-roaders use a tensioner cable from the Lamps and electricity posts, massive gauge steel wound with huge steel loops at the ends, the sort that anchors the posts to the ground from either side.

• Like 2

Cheers mate! I bought the 8,000 lb ARB rope. Is that OK or do I need to upgrade?

Is this a tow strap/rope or snatch strap? 8000 lb may be ok for towing, but may not be sufficient for snatch strap recovery. My snatch strap & tree trunk protector are both rated 12000 Kg.

• Like 1

My bad, it was 8000 Kg, I returned it and got the 11000 Kg snatch strap just for the peace of mind.

@tiv, there are long lengths of seat belts that can be purchased online fairly cheap. I just don't know if they are a proper replacement for a purpose built recovery rope/strap.

• Like 1

My bad, it was 8000 Kg, I returned it and got the 11000 Kg snatch strap just for the peace of mind.

@tiv, there are long lengths of seat belts that can be purchased online fairly cheap. I just don't know if they are a proper replacement for a purpose built recovery rope/strap.

While seatbelts can be used in situations where you have no other option, they are not a good replacement for snatch straps. Snatch straps are specially designed for recovery situations, and extend by about 20%, and displays an elastic action which aids in recovery.

While seatbelts can be used in situations where you have no other option, they are not a good replacement for snatch straps. Snatch straps are specially designed for recovery situations, and extend by about 20%, and displays an elastic action which aids in recovery.

Yup true, they don't have the bungee action, sure is handy when you don't have anything around.