• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Vs Non-Hybrid

bycap

Axio in 2011 was around Rs. 4.2-4.5 Mn. (2007-2008 Model) how much can you get now Rs. 3.2 - 3.4 Mn.

Allion in 2011 was around Rs. 5.0-5.5 Mn. (2007-2008 Model) how much can you get now Rs. 3.8 - 4.2 Mn.

Do your maths

I agree with you on the current values but the initial prices you've mentioned were top dollar at the time. however looking back at the Allion prices I think the insight has fared well.

Btw is the prius holding its value better?

Hi,

This inconsistant torque behavior of having less or more power than you expect from the acc. pedal position(during critical situations like overtaking,lane changing,bumper to bumper traffic jam) feels a bit risky to me.

So Toy Lanka already started changing battery cells now for older generation Prius?do you have information about the cost per cell or complete?

And I still dont understand why insurance companies charge more money depending on battery age,is it covered by insurance?

He said the cells in Crown hybrids are being replaced. No word on the Prius and other toyota hybrids.

The reason for the higher premiums I'm assuming could be the increased risk of overheating and the subsequent risk of fire which the local media loves to talk about when bashing hybrids. As long as the car is maintained and used well I don't see how this could happen.

• 6 months later...

Great discussion.

Still on the topic of Hybrids- I see that most insurance companies have a depreciating calculation on coverage for a hybrid battery (ie. they will cover 10% of overall value of the car towards the battery- this is aside from damage from an accident).

Arbitrary point - but who would be considered the least worst for hybrid insurance (i'm assuming they are all bloodsucking sh*ts)...?

• 2 months later...

My first vehicle was Toyota corolla G limited grade...2002..it done only 10km/l city and 13 to 14 out(33 laks)

Now I have Toyota Aqua 2012...it done 19km/l city and 22 to 24 out... (33.5 laks)

Now I can spend money for other needs than petrol.

• Haha 1

My first vehicle was Toyota corolla G limited grade...2002..it done only 10km/l city and 13 to 14 out(33 laks) Now I have Toyota Aqua 2012...it done 19km/l city and 22 to 24 out... (33.5 laks) Now I can spend money for other needs than petrol.

post deleted

Edited by priyanka

My first vehicle was Toyota corolla G limited grade...2002..it done only 10km/l city and 13 to 14 out(33 laks) Now I have Toyota Aqua 2012...it done 19km/l city and 22 to 24 out... (33.5 laks) Now I can spend money for other needs than petrol.

Better to keep some money that you are now saving , cos you will need it to replace your battery one day!

PS:-Man shifting to an aqua from a corolla seems like downgrading to me. And he is happy and satisfied about it! :speechless-smiley-004:

Been using a prius second gen for two years and it has 109000 on the clock now. I was working at Matara so used to travel every week from kandy to matara and back. Generally it comes to around 600kms and if not 530kms per week. Used a daihatsu terios and a suzuki swift (beetle model) prior to the prius and it cost me around Rs.9000 to Rs.7500 per trip on those. After I got the prius the cost went down to 5500 to 5000. Generally it does around 20-22. On the way down to matara, till kaduwela (cause its almost downhill from Kandy till Yakkala), it does around 23-24 and once you reach matara, it will go down to 22 or so. On the way to kandy, it will not do more than 20-22. Generally, I push it hard when driving back to kandy cause saving fuel is the last thing on my mind. Takes a hell lot of time if not. But with all that rough driving it does around 20 which is not bad.

Well, to be honest, its not that economical to run. Even though in the short run it saved up around 2500 per trip since it was a high mile runner, certain repairs also came along and they were costly. Didnt have any issues with the battery, but had to replace the inverter water pump from toyota which cost a pretty penny. Other than that, regular servicing, gear oil changes, coolant changes along with the these so called "tune ups" were somewhat costly. But to be honest, other than the water pump issue, the car never gave me trouble and still runs fine.

But I moved back to kandy and my daily commute is from kandy to peradeniya where it does 18.9 to 19.2 or so. Now ofcourse the cost of keeping it is useless. Seen some hybrid owners claim seriously silly mileage figures and talk about it being very economical. Thats all a load of crap. It saves in the short run (and that too only a couple of thousand) but when the repairs do come its costly.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Been using a prius second gen for two years and it has 109000 on the clock now. I was working at Matara so used to travel every week from kandy to matara and back. Generally it comes to around 600kms and if not 530kms per week. Used a daihatsu terios and a suzuki swift (beetle model) prior to the prius and it cost me around Rs.9000 to Rs.7500 per trip on those. After I got the prius the cost went down to 5500 to 5000. Generally it does around 20-22. On the way down to matara, till kaduwela (cause its almost downhill from Kandy till Yakkala), it does around 23-24 and once you reach matara, it will go down to 22 or so. On the way to kandy, it will not do more than 20-22. Generally, I push it hard when driving back to kandy cause saving fuel is the last thing on my mind. Takes a hell lot of time if not. But with all that rough driving it does around 20 which is not bad.

Well, to be honest, its not that economical to run. Even though in the short run it saved up around 2500 per trip since it was a high mile runner, certain repairs also came along and they were costly. Didnt have any issues with the battery, but had to replace the inverter water pump from toyota which cost a pretty penny. Other than that, regular servicing, gear oil changes, coolant changes along with the these so called "tune ups" were somewhat costly. But to be honest, other than the water pump issue, the car never gave me trouble and still runs fine.

But I moved back to kandy and my daily commute is from kandy to peradeniya where it does 18.9 to 19.2 or so. Now ofcourse the cost of keeping it is useless. Seen some hybrid owners claim seriously silly mileage figures and talk about it being very economical. Thats all a load of crap. It saves in the short run (and that too only a couple of thousand) but when the repairs do come its costly.

I'll be damned. Never thought I'd see you on AL mate. :D Welcome and thanks for the realistic figures, along with the driving patterns that affect them. Sets the record straight. :)

• Like 1

Had to take a double take on what you said and I realized you must be the ONLY practical hybrid user I have ever seen.

People in LKA DO NOT Take total cost of ownership in to account when they get in to debt to buy car that saves a few rupees at the pump.

BTW, can you elaborate on the cost of inverters and what not?

• Like 2

Very candid comment on much the touted Prius.

Had to take a double take on what you said and I realized you must be the ONLY practical hybrid user I have ever seen.

People in LKA DO NOT Take total cost of ownership in to account when they get in to debt to buy car that saves a few rupees at the pump.

@VVTI

The Inverter pump replacement at T.L Wattala cost Rs 50000 for the part and the labor. Got a discount on both the part and the labor and yet it came to that much. Did a tune up at KAS in Kandy and had to change the plugs, the fuel filter and the air cleaner which came upto again 45000+. Think one plug cost around 8500 or so from the agents. Then it had an issue with the left side break cylinder. Whenever I pushed the break it made a terrible cringing noise. Eventually had to replace the break cylinder and that part alone was not available. So ended up buying the whole set second hand (the disks, the abs sensor, break pads, the razor etc etc) which cost me 17000 and another 2500 for fixing. :speechless-smiley-004: Changed the gear oil twice and Toyota WS oil was 12000 and had to change the coolant and it cost 8500. And ya, the drivers side auto retract mirror suddenly stopped working and TL quoted 75000 and second hand its around 25000 in Kandy. Didnt replace that yet. And then then had a problem with the key fob. Somehow or the other it had got damaged and came apart. Called TL and yet again the price was 35000 for the key and re-programming it. But the guy who takes care of the car managed to get it fixed. So didnt order that as well. The price for the battery at TL is 700000 and a second hand chinese crap one is around 200000. TL said they will repair damaged cells if the damage is not so bad and its around 8500 or so for one cell I guess. (might have changed. I got this price sometime back just out of curiosity). My mechanic told me that a single CV joint is over 100000 at TL. Im not so sure cause I never verified it from TL itself. Thats about all I did on the car. And I didnt add the amounts they quote when they "scan" the vehicle before doing any kind of repair.

And I forgot to add the bloody insurance premium they quote. Ended up paying 45000 this time around and last year it was more. Since its a hybrid they have a different system of calculating costs it seems. And well I bought the car for 36/50. I was willing to let it go for 28.50. Even though people quote 30+ even now for the second gen, I almost sold it for 28.50 but had to keep it till I moved to kandy. I really dont believe in making a profit out of it.I seriously get irritated when people say ooooh and ahhh u lost that much on that car. Dunno how anyone can make a profit out of cars. Whatever it is, it kept me on the move, never broke down on those long drives and I somehow managed to maintain it But seriously, it doesnt offer you that driving pleasure. We still have the terios and its 8 years old with 120000kms on it. But it was not that costly as the prius and it will give you a decent 12+ or 10 but less insurance premium along with less repair costs.

Edited by Indrajeedez
  • Like 1

very true - i really don't get why people consider ONLY the fuel cost.

having said that - what i've seen is that some folk buy hybrids just for the 'trend' ... I have heard this typical baiya statement many times ' Oka wikunala gannako hybrid ekak'

then again there are people who buy hybrids [specially GP1's] because that's the newest possible option for a budget just over 3 mill. (more so before the recent tax increase on hybrids).

• Like 1

very true - i really don't get why people consider ONLY the fuel cost.

having said that - what i've seen is that some folk buy hybrids just for the 'trend' ... I have heard this typical baiya statement many times ' Oka wikunala gannako hybrid ekak'

then again there are people who buy hybrids [specially GP1's] because that's the newest possible option for a budget just over 3 mill. (more so before the recent tax increase on hybrids).

' Oka wikunala gannako hybrid ekak'

I am been asked several times....

@VVTI

The Inverter pump replacement at T.L Wattala cost Rs 50000 for the part and the labor. Got a discount on both the part and the labor and yet it came to that much. Did a tune up at KAS in Kandy and had to change the plugs, the fuel filter and the air cleaner which came upto again 45000+. Think one plug cost around 8500 or so from the agents. Then it had an issue with the left side break cylinder. Whenever I pushed the break it made a terrible cringing noise. Eventually had to replace the break cylinder and that part alone was not available. So ended up buying the whole set second hand (the disks, the abs sensor, break pads, the razor etc etc) which cost me 17000 and another 2500 for fixing. :speechless-smiley-004: Changed the gear oil twice and Toyota WS oil was 12000 and had to change the coolant and it cost 8500. And ya, the drivers side auto retract mirror suddenly stopped working and TL quoted 75000 and second hand its around 25000 in Kandy. Didnt replace that yet. And then then had a problem with the key fob. Somehow or the other it had got damaged and came apart. Called TL and yet again the price was 35000 for the key and re-programming it. But the guy who takes care of the car managed to get it fixed. So didnt order that as well. The price for the battery at TL is 700000 and a second hand chinese crap one is around 200000. TL said they will repair damaged cells if the damage is not so bad and its around 8500 or so for one cell I guess. (might have changed. I got this price sometime back just out of curiosity). My mechanic told me that a single CV joint is over 100000 at TL. Im not so sure cause I never verified it from TL itself. Thats about all I did on the car. And I didnt add the amounts they quote when they "scan" the vehicle before doing any kind of repair.

And I forgot to add the bloody insurance premium they quote. Ended up paying 45000 this time around and last year it was more. Since its a hybrid they have a different system of calculating costs it seems. And well I bought the car for 36/50. I was willing to let it go for 28.50. Even though people quote 30+ even now for the second gen, I almost sold it for 28.50 but had to keep it till I moved to kandy. I really dont believe in making a profit out of it.I seriously get irritated when people say ooooh and ahhh u lost that much on that car. Dunno how anyone can make a profit out of cars. Whatever it is, it kept me on the move, never broke down on those long drives and I somehow managed to maintain it But seriously, it doesnt offer you that driving pleasure. We still have the terios and its 8 years old with 120000kms on it. But it was not that costly as the prius and it will give you a decent 12+ or 10 but less insurance premium along with less repair costs.

Pathetic story mate..so you have faced most of the probable outcomes of that age of Prius second generation..Haven't you faced master warning indicator continuously blinking issue? If not it's just around the corner... :speechless-smiley-004: