• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

[Mitsubishi] [Lancer] [Cs3] Timing Belt Change

HashanJay

Sierra, I saw you were telling that your Galent's having some issues, sorry about that.

hey Don,

After the tuneup it never happened so far, still observing.

I went to Mr Dhammika Perera, and he told me that he doesn't check injectors but he checked the Throttle body, fuel pump and fuel lines status and plugs. The throttle was blocked and he cleaned it properly. The spark plugs were the originals, my car was completing the 86,000 kph, they were pretty bad, so replaced with same brand plug set.

Other parts were okay according to him. He recommended me to put a "Valvoline" fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank once a 5000 km cycle. I'm gonna try that this weekend since i'm planning to travel to Kandy.

After the cleanup process, the accelerator peddle feels very smooth and the engine too. The cold start thing I've never experienced after that tuneup. But I'm still observing. As per my observation my car reached 65 kph at 2000 rpm in 5th gear, but now it reaches almost 80 kph at same revs.

I didn't get a chance to check the fuel economy yet, i'm working on that. Hope it has gone up a bit...

Many thanks for introducing him to me..

Sounds like from all the things he did, the replacement of the spark plugs was the most significant.

Happy to hear the problems got sorted!

Sierra, I saw you were telling that your Galent's having some issues, sorry about that.

hey Don,

After the tuneup it never happened so far, still observing.

I went to Mr Dhammika Perera, and he told me that he doesn't check injectors but he checked the Throttle body, fuel pump and fuel lines status and plugs. The throttle was blocked and he cleaned it properly. The spark plugs were the originals, my car was completing the 86,000 kph, they were pretty bad, so replaced with same brand plug set.

Other parts were okay according to him. He recommended me to put a "Valvoline" fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank once a 5000 km cycle. I'm gonna try that this weekend since i'm planning to travel to Kandy.

After the cleanup process, the accelerator peddle feels very smooth and the engine too. The cold start thing I've never experienced after that tuneup. But I'm still observing. As per my observation my car reached 65 kph at 2000 rpm in 5th gear, but now it reaches almost 80 kph at same revs.

I didn't get a chance to check the fuel economy yet, i'm working on that. Hope it has gone up a bit...

Many thanks for introducing him to me..

Hey Hashan, glad to hear that your issues are sorted. Need to get mine sorted too. :)

• 5 years later...

Hi All,

I got the timing belt changed in my CS3 about 53000km ago, in 2015. Recently, one mechanic told me that the belt looks a bit worn out. Then I enquired about the timing belt lifespan from the Agents. They told me it is about 5 years regardless of the number of KMs. When I googled about this, the average lifespan seems to be 7 - 10 years.

I want to get the opinion from the Lancer experts here. Should I worry about changing it right now since that 5 years are reached?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. It's been ages since I posted something. (Should try to be more active on the forum :()

Edited by Elrond

14 minutes ago, Elrond said:

Hi All,

I got the timing belt changed in my CS3 about 53000km ago, in 2015. Recently, one mechanic told me that the belt looks a bit worn out. Then I enquired about the timing belt lifespan from the Agents. They told me it is about 5 years regardless of the number of KMs. When I googled about this, the average lifespan seems to be 7 - 10 years.

I want to get the opinion from the Lancer experts here. Should I worry about changing it right now since that 5 years are reached?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. It's been ages since I posted something. (Should try to be more active on the forum :()

It's 5 years or 100,000kms - whichever comes first IIRC

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Yeah, consider it cheap insurance...

Here's the complete process and the cost of a timing belt replacement of a Lancer CS, documented and shared by @Sampath Gunasekera

Noticed that thread today :) I did the last timing belt replacement and the engine tune-up from the Agents. Was thinking whether to go there again or try and find some other skilled + trustworthy mechanic (because my CS3 is 17 years old now). Finding such mechanic is quite difficult, especially for a task like this. Safest option is the Agents I believe. 

11 hours ago, Elrond said:

Noticed that thread today :) I did the last timing belt replacement and the engine tune-up from the Agents. Was thinking whether to go there again or try and find some other skilled + trustworthy mechanic (because my CS3 is 17 years old now). Finding such mechanic is quite difficult, especially for a task like this. Safest option is the Agents I believe. 

I suggest that you get genuine parts when it comes to the timing belt, tensioner and oil seal, regardless of whether you get the replacement done at the agent or not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Davy said:

I suggest that you get genuine parts when it comes to the timing belt, tensioner and oil seal, regardless of whether you get the replacement done at the agent or not.

Thanks Davy. Decided to get it done from the Agents this time too. 

Members,

Agents are good they have all necessary tools to handle any problem of a vehicle which they sell or imported used in a norther country. Only thing is they change necessary parts as well as serviceable parts of a vehicle what they do the repair. I have noticed my close family members and friends had show me several parts what reputed agents have replaced like brake pads, what changed had 75% of usable time.Once I took my present vehicle what I use now to agents to get a scan of the engine, because I had done 10000 Kilometers.

Agents service advicer recommended me to replace many unnecessary parts of the Japanese vehicle. They were not aware the little knowledge I have on Motor vehicles. Very next day I got a friend of mine to do a scan. Agents are close to me than my friend who has a very good work shop with modern testing equipment, tools and skilled workers. I had to travel about 1 hour out of Colombo. His scan and advice was totally different from the agents.

I believe agents work shops are their to give correct advice, than replacing unnecessary parts of the vehicles what they service.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• 1 month later...

Got the timing belt changed from the Agent couple of days ago and thought to note down the latest prices.

Belt: 10784/=, Cam oil seal: 1244/=, Crank oil seal: 1380/=, Tensioner: 8803/=, Labour: 8280/=

While doing it, they identified a leak from the water pump and it was also replaced. New pump was 27595/= (?). They notified me before doing that. But without letting me know, they had gone ahead and replaced the Alternator belt (4713/=) and P/S belt (8938/=) as well! Those were needed to be replaced, but i didn't plan to get that done from the Agent.

Does anyone know the aftermarket prices for Lancer CS3 water pump, alternator belt and p/s belt?

BTW, now they don't allow us to go to the repair section and watch.

Edited by Elrond

Elrond,

You have done ll above from the agents, Its no point in questioning afresh job is already done by the agents,. They do have very high over heads. Stoking very large stocks of spares for many models of engines, as well as a very large skilled workforce, with various stages of superiors to supervise the work, down the line finally what workers do. They do almost jobs to sell spares and in the process many times replace unnecessary spares, which has more serviceable lifetime.

Water pump may be original spare part manufacturer recommends, out side spare part dealer will have any thing range from 14000/00 Rupees to 20000/00 Rupees. Oil seals vary costs. Timing belt manufacturer recommend a number of Kilometers to change. You have not mentioned about Kilometers done for replacement of the said belt.

Belt tension adjuster is a thing all workers do change, I cannot understand the reason for that. that has a ball racers running as a free wheel only to keep the tension of the belt. I never change the that part, what I do is only change the racer which is replaceable will cost under 1000/00 Rupees. Very few mechanics will know how to change the racer from that unit, all tension adjusters are fitted in a press, replacing the racer also needs special extractor for that job. this will consume some time. Today mechanics are spare part replaces not repairers. They are trained to change a part not to repair a part.

My young days we repaired defective serviceable spares, for to give many more service to the owners of those parts. We were thought to repair first. Replace second.

About the belts also first of all examine them, if there are any cracks on them than yes change. Can compare with a new belt any difference with the length, belt has stretch 5% more than the new one then yes. Alternator belt may be a Poly V grove belt they are little expensive than V grove belts.

All mechanics inform after relapsing unwanted spares, and say the time to change them may take as much as the time taken to the already done will take.

Above is a only what I think about your detail post about the repair done with cost of spares. I do not want to comment about repair charges. There are few spares already replaced without examining I cannot give my opinion on those replacements.

Agents in most work shops do not allow any owner or his representative to go and discuss about the what they do on a vehicle, First they disturb the worker also customers chat with mechanics and they get them to do repairs of their vehicles at their homes.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

6 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Belt tension adjuster is a thing all workers do change, I cannot understand the reason for that. that has a ball racers running as a free wheel only to keep the tension of the belt. I never change the that part, what I do is only change the racer which is replaceable will cost under 1000/00 Rupees. Very few mechanics will know how to change the racer from that unit, all tension adjusters are fitted in a press, replacing the racer also needs special extractor for that job. this will consume some time. Today mechanics are spare part replaces not repairers. They are trained to change a part not to repair a part.

The tensioner on the 4G1 series engine is sealed and cannot be rebuilt. The racer is integrated to the chassis of the tensioner, so it needs to be replaced. 

On 8/18/2020 at 2:24 AM, Sylvi said:

About the belts also first of all examine them, if there are any cracks on them than yes change. Can compare with a new belt any difference with the length, belt has stretch 5% more than the new one then yes. Alternator belt may be a Poly V grove belt they are little expensive than V grove belts.

The alternator belt was 5 years old and the P/S belt older than that. That's why I was planning to replace them. 

Davy,

On 8/18/2020 at 9:11 AM, Davy said:

The tensioner on the 4G1 series engine is sealed and cannot be rebuilt. The racer is integrated to the chassis of the tensioner, so it needs to be replaced. 

Am hoping to inspect a 4G1 series dismantle engine very soon, will let you know this part can be reconditioned to give good efficient service for many more miles of use. I always fist repair, then replace if necessary only.

I had never dismantled 4G1 engine early, therefore it is better to know about that unit.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

18 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Davy,

Am hoping to inspect a 4G1 series dismantle engine very soon, will let you know this part can be reconditioned to give good efficient service for many more miles of use. I always fist repair, then replace if necessary only.

I had never dismantled 4G1 engine early, therefore it is better to know about that unit.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Davy,

This morning I left Colombo and traveled about 50 Kilometers out of Colombo to words Giriulla, to inspect about the 4G1 engine belt tension unit. Engine dismantled in a garage, for me to get a close look of belt tension unit. What the writer had explained that unit has to be changed is correct,.

If new unit is not available, then this unit has to be rebuild by modifying the entire fixture. The time taken to do this cannot estimate because complexity of entire job needs many tools lathe and welding. Skilled worker who understand the modification.

My known person who operates a work shop their has dismantled 3 engines, two for spares he had used. One engine had come for rebuilding. He send a mechanic to the owners home remove the defective engine and transported  to his work shop for repairs.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

8 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Davy,

This morning I left Colombo and traveled about 50 Kilometers out of Colombo to words Giriulla, to inspect about the 4G1 engine belt tension unit. Engine dismantled in a garage, for me to get a close look of belt tension unit. What the writer had explained that unit has to be changed is correct,.

If new unit is not available, then this unit has to be rebuild by modifying the entire fixture. The time taken to do this cannot estimate because complexity of entire job needs many tools lathe and welding. Skilled worker who understand the modification.

Glad that is settled. 

On 8/26/2020 at 8:04 AM, Davy said:

Glad that is settled. 

Davy,

Yes, never shy to say that I don't have the experience of a unit which is not observed early. I am a person who will fabricate any mechanical unit, modify an a existing unit to serve my requirement. When I read your post this cannot be rebuild I was very interested to have a look at that belt tensioner.

When I was very young at school I built a (motorized with a table fan motor) Light house for the Science exhibition in year 1958, with a revolving beam. Like today in 1958 end part there was no LED bulbs. I fabricated a  Ever Ready torch large face, battery section was removed only head was used in front of the reflector head had a large magnifier glass so that the small light house (3.5 Feet height) beam was like the beam on a genuine light house when it is revolving. I was awarded 1st praise on that exhibition.

In 1983 when the ethnic problem was in full swing there was Curfew on. That went on for a long time, very big shortage of Bread in my area. I fabricated a 62 Kilograms bread mixing machine to mix 62 Kilograms, same machine mixing spiral was modified to mix 1 Kilogram for buns.  If not have to have a another small mixer for buns. The mixer was powered by a 3PH 5 horsepower two speed motor.The Fire wood oven was fabricated with 4 racks, to bake 100 numbers of 450 grams of bread.  I was able to sell nearly 150 to 250 Bread for a day. The Bakery was never licensed operated till 1992 all most 10 year's. I did this not to make money.

Today living a retired life 76+ active At the moment, fabricating a manual garden roller to build my own garden road way in out of Colombo.

Above post from 2nd para is not relevant to topic.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.