• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Persuade A Guy To Sell His Dad's Old Car?

knightowl

I recently saw this old merc parked in somebodies back yard. 3 sri something. Its being there for quite a some time fro the look of it. Anyways I asked the present owner ' Would you sell this car.' He says "NO' because it's my dads car! He is an idiot and I am sure he will let this car just die. I am not buying it for profit but to restore it to the former glory.

I don't know how to post pictures here. I took some photos.

By the sound of it the father's passed away, and this maybe the son's way of remembering him by. Just because you're a restoration fan and he's not, it doesn't make his priorities less important than yours.

So instead of belittling him why don't you befriend him. and call him every few months to say hi, and see if he's made any plans about the car. If at any point he feels that your intentions are noble he might change his mind.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Who the duck are you to call that man an idiot ? You clearly shouldn't restore a car of this significance as from what I see you don't understand the connection that a person has with a Classic car. It is not to just restore and show around. Go and spend your Shekels on a 1970s Lancer or an Celeste.

Ok guys, i apologise for calling him an idiot, just don't take it literally. And I know its his car and his decision. Thanks for the intelligent answers.

I think the car is simply going to die and somebody will sell it for steel and throw it in a junk yard. Its been completely neglected.

My vision is to restore it to the former glory. Not to show off. Where even he can be proud of. I'll try talking some sense to him.

Why can't you restore it for him, at his own house? give him a quote on this and see how it goes.

Making friends seems to be the best suggestion. If you are enthusiastic about restoration, why not offer him your asisstance in restoring the car while he retains ownership.

Cars are not just metal boxes to people. We have sentimental attachment to them. If you are a car fan, you should understand that and treat it with respect. Maybe he does not have the funds or the time to restore it right now, but he will when he can.

"who the duck" said dinukap4's smart device, quacking in evil satisfaction. If it was up to me I'd make a Siri who swore and cussed and knew how to spell four letter words.

Good luck with this knightowl. WAtchman and don nailed it. Try that angle. And maybe post some pictures, if that isn't a violation of forum rules

Edited by Komisiripala
  • Like 1

Who the duck are you to call that man an idiot ? You clearly shouldn't restore a car of this significance as from what I see you don't understand the connection that a person has with a Classic car. It is not to just restore and show around. Go and spend your Shekels on a 1970s Lancer or an Celeste.

@ komi- I know the man, you don't. He is a man who initiated legal proceedingns against his family for his farther's inheritance. Now, brothers and sisters split, for money. I strongly believe now that he is not selling because of its sentimental value, but for other reasons. I didn't call him an idiot to his face did I?

When I mentioned he is an idiot what I meant was that letting this car die is an idiotic thing. My offer was to let it live. Carry on the legacy. Who said I want a show off ? Don't come to hasty conclusions and judge others while advising others not to judge others.

Edited by knightowl

@ komi- I know the man, you don't. He is a man who initiated legal proceedingns against his family for his farther's inheritance. Now, brothers and sisters split, for money. I strongly believe now that he is not selling because of its sentimental value, but for other reasons. I didn't call him an idiot to his face did I?

When I mentioned he is an idiot what I meant was that letting this car die is an idiotic thing. My offer was to let it live. Carry on the legacy. Who said I want a show off ? Don't come to hasty conclusions and judge others while advising others not to judge others.

why are you telling ME this?? go read your own reply and SEE who you've quoted. i'm NOT the one who called you a duck! now quack off!!

the only conclusion that I came to is based on what YOU said. i haven't achieved that level of nirvana to READ your MIND and KNOW the story.

what a j***a$$.

that last bit is like a moebius strip...

Ahhh another hero...I get visited by these heroes once or twice a month offering to buy and restore my cars saying it's for the good of mankind or to bring them back to their former glory and to continue the legacy and other bullshit...because apprently I'm wasting these classics by letting them rot and I don't deserve them...puka thamai!

It's the owners decision...deal with it!

And what's with the 'my dad had your car he sold years ago and I'm gonna buy it back to surprise him'.....No! your idiot dad sold it years ago now it's mine...don't feed me that sentimental bullshit...go away!!!!

• Like 1

Ahhh another hero...I get visited by these heroes once or twice a month offering to buy and restore my cars saying it's for the good of mankind or to bring them back to their former glory and to continue the legacy and other bullshit...because apprently I'm wasting these classics by letting them rot and I don't deserve them...puka thamai!

And what's with the 'my dad had your car he sold years ago and I'm gonna buy it back to surprise him'.....No! your idiot dad sold it years ago now it's mine...don't feed me that sentimental bullshit...go away!!!!

:sport-smiley-004:

Edited by Dinukap4

Bla bla bla blaaa. :sleeping-smiley-008:

• 2 weeks later...

lol, you're right

One of my friends wanted to find a Camaro that he sold years ago when he fell on hard financial times. He searched long and hard and finally was able to locate the car and spoke to the current owner who said he wasn't willing to sell it ... however, he called back some time later and asked for some crazy amount; thinking a sentimental buyer may fork out more, my friend said "thanks, I'm not THAT sentimental and laughed it off" and bought another car.

If you really want to have that car, let him know your intentions and give him your contact information and an honest cash offer ... having a cash offer in front of him, he'll think about it harder. Also, be willing to spend a bit more than he can just sell to someone else.

Edited by Mean Green z28

It's just a fact that some cars no matter the value or significance will just die. No one needs to assume responsibility for someone else's dying car. You made an offer, got shot down, so move on. there are plenty more cars rusting away with an owner who will say yes.

And some might recall, the last time an Autolankan used some harsh words about an owner of a rusty car, it spilled open a whole new can of worms.

• Like 1

"who the duck" said dinukap4's smart device, quacking in evil satisfaction. If it was up to me I'd make a Siri who swore and cussed and knew how to spell four letter words.

Good luck with this knightowl. WAtchman and don nailed it. Try that angle. And maybe post some pictures, if that isn't a violation of forum rules

Bwahaha brilliant! I'm going to use this line frequently, I think!