• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sharing My Experience On Varying Rpm Of Honda Civic Cvt

nsiva

Hi guys,

I wanted to share one of my troubleshooting experience in my 2000 Honda civic Vi-RS CVT (multimatic gear) hunting speed in Drive mode. It happened when the engine is running, and when A/C is ON, and the brake pedal is pressed (Typical traffic light situation), the rpm will continuously go up and down (400rpm to 800rpm). If A/C switch is turned off this didn't happen. When normal running (brake not pressed) also this didn't happen.

I went to the agents and did a full tuneup, changed CVT gear oil, changed spark plugs - there was no improvement. Finally did an A/C servicing from an A/C technician. During that, condenser was water cleaned, new refrigerant oil was put, evaporator was serviced. After that, all the earlier symptoms have suddenly vanished.

So what I wanted to finally tell was, there is a low/high pressure switch in A/C line which cuts off/on the A/C compressor due to May be 1. Lesser refrigerant 2. Or dirty condenser fins. Technician told and I also observed the present A/C condenser was blocked with dirt which he couldn't completely remove, advised to change to a new one. Still it is a solved mystery for most of the Honda multimatic rpm hunting issue which most people think (I also was afraid) as a CVT gear box issue. I think similar posts were there in A/L but wanted to give my first hand experience.

Thanks.

• Like 1

What you described had nothing to do with the gearbox. Looks like the agents flipped you a bird on that.

Change your cvtf every 15,000km anyhow.

AC needs regular servicing in our dusty climes. Check the compression of the compressor and see of the Condensor is blocked. Don't replace one without replacing the other

• 2 months later...

Strange how the ac can cause such a stir it definitely could aggravate an already existing rough idle but to cause it is something to think about. Is your compressor stock or has it being replaced by a larger capacity compressor?