• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Place To Buy A Good Horn (Around Colombo)

Nadeeshabey

20 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

@K.o.N.o.S not sure if they deliver in Kandy but i got a Bosch set  from GreaseMonkey

If you have a D*MO Mart around they'll likely have it at the best price

They were out of stock Machan. Looks like  you were the lucky one to grab the last piece. Your name came up as one of the people who has bought it recently.?

On 6/14/2020 at 10:00 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

Bringing up an old thread. Anyone knows a place to buy a Bosch horn in and around Kandy?

PM sent 

23 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

They were out of stock Machan. Looks like  you were the lucky one to grab the last piece. Your name came up as one of the people who has bought it recently.?

@K.o.N.o.Sthat was pre-curfew or may have been last year even?

I've got multiple sets of that horn but can't remember if i bought both online?

• 3 weeks later...

I am also looking to get a new horn for my car. Most of new horns comes in pairs of 2. Low and High. what is the method to fix them with the existing single wire harness? Will I be able to do it myself? 

Is a relay needed to do it?

4 hours ago, amsandun said:

I am also looking to get a new horn for my car. Most of new horns comes in pairs of 2. Low and High. what is the method to fix them with the existing single wire harness? Will I be able to do it myself? 

Is a relay needed to do it?

Most cars dont come with relays, and most of the entry level models come with only one note/ single horn.

People do this different ways, including just running both the horns through the existing wiring. If you do not have a factory relay to hold the load, Doing this u can blow a fuse, or heat / melt up the wiring, and also burn the horn switch inside the steering wheel. Also the horn wont be loud enough piss off the fellow in front.

The safest way to do this is, not to meddle with the factory wiring even if there is a relay, just make a new harness for the horn, a separate relay, triggered by the horn with supply direct from the battery via a a good fuse link. High quality wiring, clamps and crimping is a must with 1 layer of insulation and 1 layer of heatshielding/ braiding. And zip ties to anchor the wiring. Crimping and heat shrink it's better than soldering, if possible or atleast solder, do not twist wires and tape.

If you do have a relay in the factory loom, you can just split the existing line and upgrade the relay in the fuse box for your new horn set.

Try to get Bosch ( not that knock off yellow tin BEOSCH) or Hella, I've been using them for decades with no trouble, mostly hella- over 15 sets in different cars now. So called Toyota premium horns sold by vendors are a joke to me.

If you are not competent pls dont attempt it, as you can always pop an airbag or burn your car up or hurt the ecu, or wiring loom.

Abd thus If you arent into DIY, Give it to a good electrician and watch him do the above steps.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 2

thanks @tiv.

I realized it is not just plug and play. I'd love to do a DIY thing. But better to give to a professional and learn first. :) I actually bought a Hella Classic Set from Motorcade and also found a good electrician (recommended by another good car electronic guy I know). Going to fix it in a day or two and update my experience here.

Edited by amsandun

Members,

Fixing two sets of horns to the existing wiring can do with a two way switch. With existing wiring, have to add another wire to the harness to operate existing horn and the duel set of horns. Driving in city can use the single horn, out of the city use duel horns which gives a loud noise.

Any member wants help can contact me by telephone will give the advice how to fix same.

Sylvester Wjesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1