• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Cr-V (Re2) 2007/8

kushan

Guys,

Can someone please shed some light on the fuel comsumption on above model(Honda CR-V RE2 4WD/FWD) and the basic/important things to look for because I'm planning to go for one.

Edited by kushan

Well for starters there is no RE2 (at least that I know of)

Late 2007 - Late 2011/early 2012 had the RE3 (FF) and RE4 (AWD) both with 2400cc engines. My dad was crazy about CR-Vs (don't ask me why..he had RD5 which he swapped for a 2007 RE4 which he swapped for the RAV4 he got stuck with).

Whenever I used it the "computer" told me that I was doing about 10 kmpl when driving around Colombo and driving to Sigiriya and back several times it told me I was getting 14kmpl (used it on the expresss way to Galle last year and by the time got off the computer said I averaged 18kmpl...).

However in reality on average (by calculating liters pumped to kms driven) dad worked out something close to around 9 kmpl for city driving and 11-12 for a combined cycle. Which is not bad for 2400cc heavy car.

Thanks for replying mate, yeah I was referring to same model, RE3, RE4, check this, one has advertised RE2 model(http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=159633)I don't have any idea on this vehicle whether which model comes with 4WD/FF. So appreciate if you can share me more info on these models.

You know what are areas that I should pay my attention when I start my hunting for this vehicle

The JDM versions were RE3 = FF and RE4 = AWD; all of which came with the same 2400cc K24(???)A engine. I honestly don't know about the export models which may have come in a 2000cc variant (as stated in the advert).

My dad had the RE4 for a little over 2 years (really not much time to come across any serious issues) and during that time no repairs were done except for routine maintenance and a brake pad replacement all of which were done by the agents (no idea what the actual cost was but I do remember him saying it wasn't too bad and a house+car full of Honda tissue boxes). When he bought the car it had 52k on it and at the time of passing it on it had close to 80k.

I have found the CR-Vs a lot more comfier and more luxurious than its competition. The RE4 felt a lot heavier than the previous two models but also a lot more comfortable (I guess one could draw a relationship between the two). The engine felt typically Honda-ish which was somewhat exciting and although the car was heavy you put your foot down the thing moved. The RE4 is lower and seemed to have a wider track than the previous model so it had an interesting feel to it. The RE4 also had a LOT LOT less body roll than the RD5 (explainable from the prev. point). Get one with a reverse camera. After using RAV4s and the previous generation CR-V, I found rear visibility quite low, and lets not even talk about the visibility out of the cargo area windows. . . As for its four wheel drive capabilities...well just stick to the easy stuff.

For the last few months I have seen quite a few of the RE3s and RE4s for sale on A and some of which have been re-advertised a couple of times. So you might be able to get a good deal on one.

Thanks mate, Can you remember your dad's RE4 came with hydraulic steering? I think all the other models came with electronic steerings.

Uhh...your question is somewhat ambiguous...but I think I know what you are asking (is the steering an old fashioned system with traditional old fashioned hydraulically assisted PS with a belt driven PS Comp. with the steering somewhat directly connected straight to the rack or if it is one of those new aged electronically controlled power assisted steering systems).

It had Electronic Power Steering (the latter type from above); which still requires power steering fluid (thus a hydraulic component) and I guess you can call it Electro-Hydraulic if you wish :) (if I am not mistaken the latest model doesn't need it as it is purely motor driven)

Edited by iRage

yeah mate, but didn't know about such Electro-Hydraulic thing, I prefer go with Hydraulic system so my only option is RE4, and also I have heard RE4 is the highest grade

Okay..something got lost in translation here....

For starters RE3 and RE4 are both the same car. RE3 is front wheel drive and RE4 is AWD. They both have the same engine, steering brake, gearbox etc. The difference is the RE4 has a transfer case, a rear prop shaft and a differential in the back and extra electronics to control all that since it is an AWD.

Secondly...what do you mean by electronic steering and hydraulic steering ?

I am not the most technical of people here and maybe someone else can better explain the difference between EPS and Hydraulic Power Steering. The RE3 and RE4 CR-V comes with Electronic Power Steering (EPS)...so your steering is assisted/regulated by an electronic "motor" .In the older models the power steering,to put it simply, was assisted by hydraulic "pumps" driven by belts through the engine. So the EPS is not a pure drive-by-wire system if that is what you are implying by electronic steering. I just said Electro-Hydraulic to elaborate the electronic part and the existence of the hydraulic components that one might be familiar with from older systems. I don't know if that really is even an actual thing :)..sorry about that...

If you don't like the EPS then you will have to go for the older option (RD 4/5/6/7) which had a "pure Hydrualic" power steering system. Same with other small SUVs.It is going to be hard for you to find a main stream modern car that still have pure hydraulic power steering systems.

Thirdly, RE4 is the model code for the AWD CR-V of that particular generation. The two wheel drive version is RE3. Usually these codes are assigned based on drive/engine/chassis or frame configuration not on grades/trim level. In fact the grade might be dependent on the configuration NOT the other way around.

The grades for the thrid generation CR-V were, X, ZL, ZX Alcantra, ZX Leather , ZL i and ZXi (at least in the JDM market..I am just going by a sales catalog). The "i" series was the highest grade series (ZX i being the highest, but there seem to have been special dealer packages on other grades that made other grades like the Alcantra have more options, etc...).

You got these grades in either RE3 (Front/2-wheel drive) or RE4 (All wheel drive). Now because the AWD models are more expensive than the FF models obviously a lower grade AWD car might end up being the same price or even a bit more expensive than a higher grade FF unit.

Thanks for the long explanation mate, Irrespective of the steering system, power steering fluid has some role. In EPS mainly the electric motor does the work. But in hydraulics its the oil pressure, hence you need to change power steering oil time to time.

So in hydraulics you will see the power steering oil canister once you open up the hood.

Ajith at Stafford told me CRVs with EPS has some issues with the steering system, hence he asked me to go with RS4, which comes with hydraulic steering and also he did mention it is highest grade.

That was the main reason behind on my decision to go with RE4. I don't care whether its AWD or not.

Also I do not have a clue on the models you have mentioned here ( X, ZL, ZX Alcantra, ZX Leather , ZL i and ZXi) But none of the adverts here in Autolanka has mentioned these grades. Glad if you can advice me on how to differentiate these models with another.

If you are going to equate EPS with the existance of a power steering fluid canister...here is news for you...

the RE4 and RE3 has EPS but it also has a power steering fluid canister ! In EPS the electric motors does the work in which the belt driven hydraulic pumps did in the old system (basically what I said before). Which leads to the deduction that the EPS in the RE3/4 uses the electric motors and hydraulics for steering (the steering system is not a complete fluidless/dry system).

Here is the link to the CR-V owners manual...go to page 418. You get a diagram of the engine compartment. The power steering fluid canister is on the left hand side of the engine. If you go through the manual there is also a recommended service interval for the power steering fluid. Also you see the fuse locations for the EPS motor.

http://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual/pdf/auto/cr-v/30SWA600_web.pdf?genpo=HondaMotor&model=CR-V

Plenty of websites that have the electronic parts catalog for the CR-V. Go to one and you can see that irrespective of whether it was RE3 or RE4 it still has the same EPS pump (same part number as well).

I have no idea who Ajith is. Never heard of a CR-V RS4. It simply is not there in the JDM model nor any of the export models I have come across.

I stand by what I said before. All grades came in either RE4 (AWD) or RE3 (FF) variants. The accessories that were available and were packaged had nothing to do with the RE3 or RE4 designation. So you can find a RE4 that has lesser options (a lower grade) than a RE3 (which could have been a higher grade). That is just pure simple logic as well. If you are determining "highest grade" based on price..well obviously all the RE4s would be "highest grade" because they were more expensive than the RE3 due to the AWD configuration (same goes for RAV4, X-Trail, etc...again...logical)

The last PURE Hydraulic ie with no Electric motor for power assistance was the RD 4/5/6/7...unless in developing country markets (like Sri Lankan, India, Indonesia, etc..) Honda decided to have a different configuration for the RE series CR-V which had a pure Hydraulic PS system. That however is highly unlikely as I have seen Indonesian and African market CR-Vs which still had the usual EPS. If such a CR-V exists then it is also likely that it has a different engine as well...

Honda does not tag the grade/trim level on the CR-V unlike some other manufacturers (heck even Toyota doesn't tag them on the RAV4). Like I said before because of dealer packages it is virtually impossible to isolate sets/combinations of accessories to particular grades. For example the ZX Alcantra has something similar to suede, ZX leather obviously is leather, but then the ZXi can be ordered with leather or suede seats or just the usual cloth seats. If you are going with a JDM import then get hold of a sales brochure see what the basic options are for each grade and if you get anything more than what it says then just consider it as icing on the cake (you will need to get a translator to translate the brochure).

My final advise:

a) Decide whether you want AWD or FWD (obviously there would be a significant price difference between the two as well).

B) Decide if you are going to have panic attacks about EPS (if you are stay away from the RE3/RE4 CR-V/ ACA31/36 RAV4, T31 series X-trails...the list goes on so basically stay away from all modern cars. If you still want to have own a newer model car then buy one that has had the repair done or save some money from your buying budget for potential repairs)

c) Decide what accessories/options you must have and then go buy what ever you can get with atleast those basic options or whatever you can get with the most amount of options for your budget. Stop worrying about trim levels and what options you should have for those as you will never figure it out without getting a tumor. If you are worried about resale value of not knowing...if you can't figure it out then most likely the next guy buying it will never too. If you want there are websites where you can enter the chassis number at it will tell you the configuration the manufacturer released the vehicle in. Search the forum for it..

Thanks for the long reply machan, really appreciate it.

As you said I need to inspect the vehicle for the options then. I prefer to go with FWD since it saves some gas. I was bit worried since Ajith (he is working at Stafford, search the forum you will know who is he) told me usually EPS has some issues because of some bad road conditions. And also he has said they need to replace the rack, if such issue arises.

So he is the one asked me to go for RE4. Now I understand that I should not depend on the model.

btw, I have found a site which has listed all the Honda's with all the models and the detail spec.

http://www.um.co.za/specifications/honda.aspx

Well we didn't own the RE4 long enough to have any major issues. The RD5 on the other hand we used it for a long long period of time (put almost 150,000kms on it and we bought it with about 30K on it) and that did have an issue with the rack which needed replacing. Then Stafford Motors messed up the installation and on a trip back from Nuwareliya the PS started acting up and there was a whole lot of foam coming out of the fluid container. Still...the CR-Vs (and even the RAV4s) we've had have handled rough usage a lot better than most of the sedans our extended family members have had.

Now that you have elaborated on what "Ajith" actually said (the issue is not having EPS but other aspects that cause it to go bad)...there might be a certain case where the RE4 would be a preferred choice. Because the RE3 is a FWD model and RE4 is a AWD model maybe; and I honestly I do not know, Honda used components that had different tolerance thresholds for bushings, etc.... In which case the AWD might take more abuse than a FWD version ? Thus, the EPS motor issues may originate in the RE3 sooner than in a RE4 ? I doubt this would be the case since the engine, drive train, suspension components are shared but in the interest of optimizing cost anything is possible. But an easy way to check is go through an Electronic Parts Catalog and see if there is a difference in the parts like bushings, tie-rod components, etc...or you could just ask Ajith :)

Personally I prefer the AWD option; although not hard core it is fun to throw it around some sand and mud. Having driven 2WD (ACA36) and AWD (ACA31) RAV4s I did feel a difference in driving on tight twisty roads especially during the rain. I seriously doubt the fuel consumption figures will be that drastically different between the RE3 and RE4 as the RE4 just drives as a normal FWD car under normal conditions (where front wheel slip is not detected).

You are not going to find a 100% fail proof car model...so just save some money from your purchasing budget for a rainy day.

EDIT: That link is for a South African site ne ? Not sure if everything will be the same for what you get over here. Anyway..here is a listing for JDM models...just use google translator.

http://www.goo-net.com/catalog/HONDA/

Edited by iRage

• 3 years later...

Hi

Anyone has experience with new CRV (2017)

Has good reviews from US, Australia

How is it on local conditions, 1.5 L turbo /CVT, fuel consumption

I know it is rather early but have seen few around for couple of months now.

Thinking whether to upgrade from my 2013 2.0 L