• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

No More High Speed Charges, Again!

knightowl

I was once stopped in the Datsun near kirulapone at 1 am Ona a weekday. Wasn't drunk, wasn't breaking any law. So I asked why. He takes a walk around the car and says "mahaththayo, number plate light eka weds karannae naa" So I asked him to consider two things: 1. The fact that a 47 year old car still runs is a huge deal, so a number plate light in the rear is no big deal 2. How did he see that to stop me when I approached him from the front? He just said the same line reserved for these booboos "yanna yanna!"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Don, I don't think this will put an end to anything as Crosswind has rightly said there are other offenses cops can book you for. The correct thing to do would be to put up the damn road signs atleast start with the major routes in the country. But i guess the relevant authorities are busy spending money on beautification projects these days.

True xXx, but this was simply based on assumption a lot and mostly based on dubious speed guns and made up laws. If you move the old speed guns forward as you took a reading you would obviously get a higher reading. And you have no defence. I considered buying myself one of those recorders to record as I drive to use as evidence against these kakkas. My family has a no jarawa policy so we always take the ticket and pay the fine, irrespective of the inconvenience. It helps sometimes both my sister and my father hardly get tickets because of their profession now, and I hardly drive in SL.

I have now come to the conclusion that using public transport to carry out your daily essentials is stress-free, cost effective and keeps you away from interacting the lowest form of life forms there is in SL, the Police Department.

I could not agree with you more. This is why I so miss the old semi luxury buses. Those things are usually garaged at the Udahamulla depot whih was very convenient for me as I used to take them from Jubilee post and go all the way to Bambalapitiya wallowing in luxury. Only a little bit slower than the car but far more convenient.

And the train is the best way to go to Kandy. Sadly can't say the same for some other places as the roads are faster, so the intercity bus becomes a better option.

I agree VVTi. But what happens if it stops working after you enter the expressway?

And in your case, I assume both beams were off due to lose connection. If the low beam only is dead, will they allow to run with the high beam ?

Just for knowing, is it illegal to run with one headbeam and parking light on the other side in normal roads?

It is illegal to run without fully operational head lights. PERIOD!

That's why you should check on their status regularly and for safety sake carry a spare or two in the glove box. Older cars replacement of bulbs is a 2 minute job. I normally carry a few especially when going outstation.

It is illegal to dazzle oncoming motorists with your fancy Chinese trashy HIDs with no focusing lenses.

It is illegal to turn left while indicating to the right.

It is illegal to unnecessarily flash your head beams at oncoming drivers.

So many things are illegal if you actually follow the rules.

But them who does?

How many of the new crop of drivers know that you should give way to vehicles from the right or not to stop on a junction box? How many know what a junction box is? :)

That's why you should check on their status regularly and for safety sake carry a spare or two in the glove box. Older cars replacement of bulbs is a 2 minute job. I normally carry a few especially when going outstation.

Edited by VVTi

Yeah VVTI, older cars are great in that way. In newer cars you sometimes need a bloddy manual.

I suggest you always keep a pair of pliers, a philips and flat head screw driver (you get a combined one with some cars) , some insulation tape, duct tape and some spare fuses with you always. I also have a small electric tester (you need something sensitive to DC) which has been useful in knowing where some problems are. You will be surprised how many problems you can solve with those :)

And also it helps to have some brake oil, engine oil, water (a 4L can full) and a little petrol as well, if you are going outstation, for you don't know where you might get stuck.

what about this...

speed is ditermined by police without speed guns? Are they creazy ? how they know what is our speed?

http://www.lankagossipgirl.com/2014/08/blog-post_99.html

Even when they were armed with a speed gun they were subjective. Once I was stopped for speeding on A9 because I did not realize that I was still within town limits although I had already passed the built up area of the town way behind me. Luckily I had a lawyer who was in his car behind me. He argued in my defense just a couple of words and I was let off. If not for him I would have been charged.

As for the legal requirement of headlights/signal lights/brake lights etc in working condition , isn't it the responsibility of the revenue licencing authority to check those before they issue their license in a similar manner how they check emissions? If they do so, they could have taken care of 90% of the problem and do at least that much to improve the road safety.

Even when they were armed with a speed gun they were subjective. Once I was stopped for speeding on A9 because I did not realize that I was still within town limits although I had already passed the built up area of the town way behind me. Luckily I had a lawyer who was in his car behind me. He argued in my defense just a couple of words and I was let off. If not for him I would have been charged.

As for the legal requirement of headlights/signal lights/brake lights etc in working condition , isn't it the responsibility of the revenue licencing authority to check those before they issue their license in a similar manner how they check emissions? If they do so, they could have taken care of 90% of the problem and do at least that much to improve the road safety.

The problem Rumesh is we introduced an emissions test. We haven't introduced a road worthiness test. Thats what we actually need which obviously would include an emissions test.

The problem Rumesh is we introduced an emissions test. We haven't introduced a road worthiness test. Thats what we actually need which obviously would include an emissions test.

Agreed. If the authorities had a will they could have done it way before they introduced the emission test for you don't have to have any equipment to visually check the lights, wiper and the condition of tires, paint etc. Other than checking the validity of your insurance and Eco certificate, our revenue license does not serve any other purpose, does it?. If I may share my experience in the ME where the inspection procedures were not as comprehensive as those in places like Europe and the US, they at least checked the lights, wiper, tires and general body condition in a short time. (They even go to the length of doing it from 6 in the morning so that those who has to go to work like us can finish it without taking a day off!). It is just that like everything else all what the authorities here worried about is how much revenue they collect not what they can provide in return.

So as per your argument, if your break light or any other light for that matter stops working few months after getting your revenue license renewed its still the licensing departments fault? IMO people need to be more responsible with their own actions you can't simply pass the buck.

This is why i am so pis*ed off with the speed limit sign issue. Speed limit sign or any other road sign for that matter plays a crucial role in road safety. As a responsible government isn’t the safety of their citizens one of the primary goals? Let it be a threat from a terrorist organization or another country or its own people?

So as per your argument, if your break light or any other light for that matter stops working few months after getting your revenue license renewed its still the licensing departments fault? IMO people need to be more responsible with their own actions you can't simply pass the buck.

This is why i am so pis*ed off with the speed limit sign issue. Speed limit sign or any other road sign for that matter plays a crucial role in road safety. As a responsible government isn’t the safety of their citizens one of the primary goals? Let it be a threat from a terrorist organization or another country or its own people?

Not at all. That is why I said 90%. Other 10% need to take care of it themselves. There will always be a percentage of vehicles with faulty lights even if the authorities check them at the time of renewing the license. What I emphasized was that the authorities should do their part too for they are taking a charge from you. It does not mean that people can do away with their part of the responsibility.

Edited by Rumesh88

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Anuradhapura on Sunday, via Putalam. Couple of things noticed.

1 :- Speed signs have been erected in many areas now, with three classifications for type of vehicle. I think Three Wheelers/tractors. Buses/HGVs and Car/Vans.

2:- Cops are literately everywhere, waiting for you to break some kind of rule. Actually in general the cops seem to be very active this past month, on their new 3 million rupee bikes and all.

I agree that public transport has now become the more stress-free alternative. Sadly, this is not owing to any improvement in the public transport system, but is mostly attributed to the sheer hassle of driving around Colombo.

• 11 months later...
70km/h for out station is way too low :speechless-smiley-004:

Agree on that.. now that we have better roads and vehicles that can cope safely with higher speeds., they should've increased it..

Agree on that.. now that we have better roads and vehicles that can cope safely with higher speeds., they should've increased it..

They need to set it for the lowest factor. You wanna have a speed limit that allows Maruti's to go at high speed? Or Nanos? Or some 70's mobile with all round drums? Coz if the limit is high, people will try to hit it.

Damn Yakkala to Mawanella? That's more than half of the Colombo-Kandy road :(

Also there are some absurd speed limits fixed on some roads, for an example recently I traveled to Riverston and on some areas I saw sign boards indicating the speed limit of 80kmph, on a bendy, narrow incline :speechless-smiley-004: and on some perfectly good straight roads with no obstructions, schools or hospitals etc the speed limit was 40kmph.

They need to set it for the lowest factor. You wanna have a speed limit that allows Maruti's to go at high speed? Or Nanos? Or some 70's mobile with all round drums? Coz if the limit is high, people will try to hit it.

Didn't think of that.. yeah that's true.. :)

but all that is hogwash when you consider the number of immature, uneducated (in road regulations, symbols, etc..) and unskilled licensed drivers...

Edited by iRage

Sri Lanka Police always omit/neglect Public/Private Buses from their statements and also from actions, since it is the route-cause of the deadly accidents.

We know why ?. It is not a Polic..!!

Most of the countries, these are the most slow runners in the town. As example in Singapore in public areas , buses run at less than 30Km/h.

Again we need Bus drivers should be qualified at least with good A-Levels, like in next parliament members in Sri Lanka which is due.

Sri Lanka Police have no vision in this regard. That is why Police allowed maximum limit for buses as in other small vehicles.(70 Km/h , 50Km/h etc),

Edited by Rohnd