• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

No More High Speed Charges, Again!

knightowl

The Attorney General has instructed the police not to use speed guns (radar speed meter) as evidence against the speed driving offenders when they are prosecuted for reckless driving.

The Attorney General has decided to cancel his previous determination in which he directed the Police to use speed guns against the speed driving offenders since the relevant authorities failed to fully implement the speed limit regulations stipulated by Supreme Court in 2008. The determination was issued in 2009.

Then Chief Justice Sarath N. Silva in a judgment directed that all illegal sign boards of speed limits be pulled down and much visible sign boards be put on for the convenience of motorists.

It was learnt that the Road Development Authority is yet to implement the regulation and it has not been formally informed to the Supreme Court regarding the implementation.

In this backdrop, the Attorney General has instructed the Police Traffic Headquarters not to use speed guns as evidence for the offences relating to reckless driving and reckless endangerment charges.

http://www.asianmirror.lk/news/item/2801-ag-instructs-police-not-to-use-speed-guns-as-evidence-against-offenders

I don't understand how they can book us for speeding on the highway anyway cos the place where we are caught speeding and the place where we are pulled over could be 100 kms apart. So what evidence do they have to prove that we were speeding? Its not the same cop who catches us and its not like they took a photo or filmed the incident to be presented at the courts if we contest it.

• Like 1

I think they do have photographic evidence.

I once had a chat with a senior police guy in the highway police. So naturally I asked him if they catch speeders. He said that the device they use takes a photo of the vehicle along with the speed / date/time. But according to him it's not shown to us. It's only shown to the court if the driver refuses that he was going over the limit and did not agree to the spot fine.

Anyway if you've seen cops in highway they usually hold the device close to the eye like a camera unlike the regular cops who hold it like a hand gun.

Ok lets assume that I am driving at about 70 ~ 80 kmh in Gall road. But still they can charge me for "Anarakshitha lesa riya padaweema" if they feel that the speed is too much for their self standards. Am I right?

Yes

In fact they can even shoot you... and if you survive, they can take you to see hidden weapons....

This is Sri Lanka Police dude, the possibilities are endless...

• Like 3

So...I assume this applies to highways as well?

I believe the highway is correctly sign posted. Also there are different regulations that apply to different types of roads. So different rules probably apply.

Either way, best to stick to the speed limit on the highway. Its not exactly slow.

am i the only one who think this is a stupid idea in a country where we have atleast 10 road accidents per day due to highspeed driving and in a country where people forget what the the zebra crossing and white lines besides the roads are for?

• Like 1

am i the only one who think this is a stupid idea in a country where we have atleast 10 road accidents per day due to highspeed driving and in a country where people forget what the the zebra crossing and white lines besides the roads are for?

Well the Supreme court has simply upheld the law.

It is also stupid for motorists to know the speed limit everywhere to go, when there is not a single sign telling them what it is, then stop them and fining them for a crime which sometimes they genuinely did not realise they had comitted.

My poor father was once driving down base line road at 60, when it was late and deserted for the cops to stop and try to fine him for breaking the speed limit of 50, which he did not know, since its a 3 lane road. He argued this and was let off with a warning, but you can see how its unfair at the same time.

This is the RDAs fault. When roads are designed, they are designed with a particular speed in mine, and they have to sign post that speed clearly and the government has to gazette this so the information is available in the public domain.

That is true. it is also stupid that there arnt signs telling what is the speed limit.

And sometimes the cops themeselvs don't know whats the speed limit for that area.

Yes and then they make them up to get us to bribe them. Its a ridiculous situation. The courts just put an end to that.

Yes and then they make them up to get us to bribe them. Its a ridiculous situation. The courts just put an end to that.

Don, I don't think this will put an end to anything as Crosswind has rightly said there are other offenses cops can book you for. The correct thing to do would be to put up the damn road signs atleast start with the major routes in the country. But i guess the relevant authorities are busy spending money on beautification projects these days.

Don, I don't think this will put an end to anything as Crosswind has rightly said there are other offenses cops can book you for. The correct thing to do would be to put up the damn road signs atleast start with the major routes in the country. But i guess the relevant authorities are busy spending money on beautification projects these days.

They are yet to start their own sign post making business. Don't worry, cos once they do, you will find it difficult to walk on the pavement without all these signboards getting in your way!

I have now come to the conclusion that using public transport to carry out your daily essentials is stress-free, cost effective and keeps you away from interacting the lowest form of life forms there is in SL, the Police Department.

• Like 3

Well the Supreme court has simply upheld the law.

It is also stupid for motorists to know the speed limit everywhere to go, when there is not a single sign telling them what it is, then stop them and fining them for a crime which sometimes they genuinely did not realise they had comitted.

My poor father was once driving down base line road at 60, when it was late and deserted for the cops to stop and try to fine him for breaking the speed limit of 50, which he did not know, since its a 3 lane road. He argued this and was let off with a warning, but you can see how its unfair at the same time.

This is the RDAs fault. When roads are designed, they are designed with a particular speed in mine, and they have to sign post that speed clearly and the government has to gazette this so the information is available in the public domain.

I was driving on the Puttalam road a week ago where the sign boards have been put up recently and i remember the 50km/h speed limit boards mentioned a certain time range. If i remember right it was 7am to 9pm

I have now come to the conclusion that using public transport to carry out your daily essentials is stress-free, cost effective and keeps you away from interacting the lowest form of life forms there is in SL, the Police Department.

Amen to that!.. not to mention that it saves your time too if you use the train service.. I usually travel by train from Udahamulla to Baseline Road station and it takes only around 30 - 40 min of time to get to Orion city.

This slightly OT, but pardon me.

Last Saturday, I was fined at the Baddegama exit stating one rear stop light was not working.

I argued with them, they have a condition that they do not allow vehicles in such conditions (i.e. park/stop/turn signal lights not working etc.) to enter the E01. So I must have been OK when entering and this light must have been burnt on the way, and there are two other working lights!

No success. I was fined. It was just 100/-. Since it was a Saturday afternoon, I ws able to pay the fine to the post office nearby and release the ilcense immediately. But if it was a Sunday or a night, I could have

Then I called 1969 and asked whether it is fair. They also accepted it is not fair, but declared nothing to do now.

Any similar experiences?

Amen to that!.. not to mention that it saves your time too if you use the train service.. I usually travel by train from Udahamulla to Baseline Road station and it takes only around 30 - 40 min of time to get to Orion city.

I travel to WTC often and finding a parking spot, paying the high fee and all that is too much trouble.... get on a bus, listen to some FM radio chatter, enjoy the sights and go to your meeting and get back... LOL.

When I go for client meetings in Kandy and all, I catch the Expo Rail, travel in car like comfort, get served limitless tea and coffee, see to your work, and get back at a decent time without the hassle of the Kandy Road traffic. All for less money than the petrol cost of the actual journey.

This slightly OT, but pardon me.

Last Saturday, I was fined at the Baddegama exit stating one rear stop light was not working.

I argued with them, they have a condition that they do not allow vehicles in such conditions (i.e. park/stop/turn signal lights not working etc.) to enter the E01. So I must have been OK when entering and this light must have been burnt on the way, and there are two other working lights!

No success. I was fined. It was just 100/-. Since it was a Saturday afternoon, I ws able to pay the fine to the post office nearby and release the ilcense immediately. But if it was a Sunday or a night, I could have

Then I called 1969 and asked whether it is fair. They also accepted it is not fair, but declared nothing to do now.

Any similar experiences?

I once got stopped because one of the headlights has stopped working, I stepped out and asked whats going on, they said light is not working, and I thumped on the light and it worked. Loose connection obviously. So I asked what now? They said, "wada nodee yanna mahaththaya"... LOL

But actually they can fine you for non working lights mate. No argument exists to escape that

Edited by VVTi

I once got stopped because one of the headlights has stopped working, I stepped out and asked whats going on, they said light is not working, and I thumped on the light and it worked. Loose connection obviously. So I asked what now? They said, "wada nodee yanna mahaththaya"... LOL

But actually they can fine you for non working lights mate. No argument exists to escape that

That happened to dad once, the look on the cops face was priceless :D

You got lucky dude. I was fined 100 rupees for the same reason. I thumped on the light but it didn't worked at that time but it worked when I thumped it after arriving to the destination. What a awful day it was . GRRRR :(

I agree VVTi. But what happens if it stops working after you enter the expressway?

And in your case, I assume both beams were off due to lose connection. If the low beam only is dead, will they allow to run with the high beam ?

Just for knowing, is it illegal to run with one headbeam and parking light on the other side in normal roads?

I was once stopped in the Datsun near kirulapone at 1 am Ona a weekday. Wasn't drunk, wasn't breaking any law. So I asked why.

He takes a walk around the car and says "mahaththayo, number plate light eka weds karannae naa"

So I asked him to consider two things:

1. The fact that a 47 year old car still runs is a huge deal, so a number plate light in the rear is no big deal

2. How did he see that to stop me when I approached him from the front?

He just said the same line reserved for these booboos "yanna yanna!"

• Like 1