• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What To Buy

Pajero

Im looking for a Benz as im new to here and i haven't got any Benz earlier . There is these models w124,123 and E200,250,300 but don't know nothing beyond but i know that E and S class is better than C. in the mean time heard of a talk that round shaped head light model is not a market car with the square shaped model is that true ? So if im searching for a price around 2-3 million rupees a diesel auto gear car whats the best model i should go with ? I want to know these facts also, the fuel consumption, weather the price of the auto parts is higher or lower than the japan vehicle auto parts and engine troubles can occur compared with japan vehicles...Please need your kind response :)

If you are concerned about fuel consumption and maintainance cost and you do not have much knowledge about Mercs, maybe it isnt the right time for you to buy a merc.

Yeah i acknowledge that but i saw in some advertisements even in autolanka saying that fuel consumption is better that our thoughts is it ? mmh some w124 E250s doing around 12-14 kmpl :o thats a great achievement comparing with the japan no ? dont know about the maintenance but heard some sayings that is not much a problem either if im wrong please correct me :) . Basically im going for a Benz is its comfort and going with my budjet.. there are other cars for that limit like hybrids and 2nd hand japan cars but its different for my selection this time ;) please need your ideas friends Thanks !

so you're saying you BELIEVE everything in these ads? so do you beleive that anlene actually prevents osteoporosis? that fair and lovely makes women more attractive to men? that using whisper pads will give women ability to hop around like they were peter pan's Wendy on the moodiest day of their month?

people will say anything the buyer wants to hear when they try to sell a product mate.

and you can't compare maintaining a merc with a japanese vehicle. merc parts are really really expensive. and if you buy a used car you have no idea wha'ts wrong with it, until you start having problems, which you will, and then you'd better have pockets so deep that the word "budget" shouldn't even be in your vocabulary.

there's are two type of people who will buy a merc:

1. the newly rich mudalali types who have as much class and taste as their money can buy and want a merc for the sole purpose of showing it off as a symbol of their wealth and power to the less well endowed people they associate, as those people only recognise a "benz car" as that very symbol

2. a true enthisuast of the three pointed star who appreciates what mercedes embodies, and is truly passionate about the marque. such a person of course, wouldn't give a hoot about the expenses, and running costs. he would pawn his left testicle even to make ends meet so that his car is in strapping condition.

there's no middle ground. there's no "average" merc owner. so you need to assess where you stand in this scenario, and then make your desicion.

if its neither, then maybe an allion 260 with all the bells and whistles is more your number

• Like 3

Yeah i acknowledge that but i saw in some advertisements even in autolanka saying that fuel consumption is better that our thoughts is it ? mmh some w124 E250s doing around 12-14 kmpl :o thats a great achievement comparing with the japan no ? dont know about the maintenance but heard some sayings that is not much a problem either if im wrong please correct me :) . Basically im going for a Benz is its comfort and going with my budjet.. there are other cars for that limit like hybrids and 2nd hand japan cars but its different for my selection this time ;) please need your ideas friends Thanks !

The quoted fuel efficiency sellers are very often overstated. You need to be realistic. Fuel efficiency is inversely propotional to the weight of a car and engine size. I think you probably understand what I'm trying to tell you.

Mercedes Benz cars are usually very reliable. They are the most reliable from the German stables. But when things do go wrong, both parts and labour are expensive.

If costs of maintenance and running costs are an issue, do not buy a Mercedes Benz or any European car in Sri Lanka.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to have idea about maintaining a German Car, I had to pay 120,000/= for a set of break pads for a BMW X1.. and worse, 225,000 for a set of Tyres.. :) Yes I know I could've gone cheaper with the break pads but the thing is under warranty and I don't want to be in trouble by cutting corners.. So I wouldn't buy anything that is used from Germany ;)

Just to have idea about maintaining a German Car, I had to pay 120,000/= for a set of break pads for a BMW X1.. and worse, 225,000 for a set of Tyres.. :) Yes I know I could've gone cheaper with the break pads but the thing is under warranty and I don't want to be in trouble by cutting corners.. So I wouldn't buy anything that is used from Germany ;)

Did you miss a zero somewhere in that number? How in hell do you spend 120,000 on Brake pads???

Looks like you got ripped off man, same with the tyres.

Dude the cost of a break pad change on an E92 is £149 for rears and £179 for fronts under BMW fixed price servicing. If you had to replace discs as well it would probably be double of each.

A set of 225/45 R17 Pirelli run flats cost £440 fitted from a standard tyre dealer (not BMW but they are Pirelli P Zero RFT).

None of those come anywhere close to the prices you have quoted and these prices include Labour in the UK!!!

Either the BMW agent or repair person is charging your 4 times the UK price for brake pads and more than double for tyres, or I say you got ripped off.

• 3 months later...

Dude the cost of a break pad change on an E92 is £149 for rears and £179 for fronts under BMW fixed price servicing. If you had to replace discs as well it would probably be double of each.

A set of 225/45 R17 Pirelli run flats cost £440 fitted from a standard tyre dealer (not BMW but they are Pirelli P Zero RFT).

None of those come anywhere close to the prices you have quoted and these prices include Labour in the UK!!!

Either the BMW agent or repair person is charging your 4 times the UK price for brake pads and more than double for tyres, or I say you got ripped off.

It was prestige. It is my first BMW and that's what it cost. :/ any BMW user who service from prestige? They said the costs for F10 is even higher. Mine is a X1. I love it unconditionally but if anyone can help me with some reasonable place to service and buy parts from, I can enjoy it even more. :) Edited by sasika

Well admittedly duty on parts is pretty high and when you factor in the agent markup it can be quite high, but I doubt it is four times as high though.

As for tyres, that's another story because there is a massive tax on them (Rubber products). Factoring in RFTs and the size of the tyre I can understand that number. I'm still reeling in shock after getting quotes for the cat, the numbers i'm hearing are 75-85k PER TYRE!

It was prestige. It is my first BMW and that's what it cost. :/ any BMW user who service from prestige? They said the costs for F10 is even higher. Mine is a X1. I love it unconditionally but if anyone can help me with some reasonable place to service and buy parts from, I can enjoy it even more. :)

Lots of Independent BMW mechanics and parts sources around, if you do some research you can even get your own parts down.

It was prestige. It is my first BMW and that's what it cost. :/ any BMW user who service from prestige? They said the costs for F10 is even higher. Mine is a X1. I love it unconditionally but if anyone can help me with some reasonable place to service and buy parts from, I can enjoy it even more. :)

There were so many discussions about beems (yeah I dont own a beem, but I read almost all of them simply because of interest. ). Even there was a dedicated thread to compare beem agent with some other place which is M*lr*y in Kelaniya. and there are some FB groups dedicated for BMWs.

• Like 1

Well admittedly duty on parts is pretty high and when you factor in the agent markup it can be quite high, but I doubt it is four times as high though.

As for tyres, that's another story because there is a massive tax on them (Rubber products). Factoring in RFTs and the size of the tyre I can understand that number. I'm still reeling in shock after getting quotes for the cat, the numbers i'm hearing are 75-85k PER TYRE!

Lots of Independent BMW mechanics and parts sources around, if you do some research you can even get your own parts down.

Yeah I know few places now. By that time i wa new to the Beemer and had warranty on it. So didn't wanna void that as well. At prestige a tyre of the brand I mentioned is 78k. 56k at TL. Same story for break pads. They even asked to change break discs at 50k per disc. Didn't let them as I could see there's still quite some margin to the minimum thickness marking. Later a mechanic confirmed it as well. Won't go there again. They changed the DPF at 40k telling me that fuel is horrible in Sri lanka and could result in pump damage. Didn't want to cut corners on that.( maybe ripped off)

There were so many discussions about beems (yeah I dont own a beem, but I read almost all of them simply because of interest. ). Even there was a dedicated thread to compare beem agent with some other place which is M*lr*y in Kelaniya. and there are some FB groups dedicated for BMWs.

Yeah I saw it. For the X1 there wasn't much difference in price. Service is about 10k less, which is good, but break pads cost 25k each. Since I had warranty no option but to get ripped off Or void the warranty