• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speedometer Repair

Mr. Excel

Question

Hi Guys,

I am driving a Cefiro A33 and my speedo is not working. I nailed down the issue to the board. The needle work, VSS works. Its just the board is not sending the proper signal to the needle. I tried finding a matching board for this and it was not successful since this is the so called Singapore model with 260kmph on the board.

But I have strong feeling that this board has a very small fault like a diode or something and a person with electronics knowledge can give a try to revive this board to work.

Please throw your ideas/contacts/etc to help me rectify this issue.

Cheers,

15 answers to this question

We don't meaning he doesn't have the tech right?

See machan if you try to get someone with electronic knowledge to take this apart, you run the risk of permanently damaging your cluster.

If I were you, I'd first try to find a replacement cluster, and then, if money permits, repair the current one.

We don't meaning he doesn't have the tech right?

See machan if you try to get someone with electronic knowledge to take this apart, you run the risk of permanently damaging your cluster.

If I were you, I'd first try to find a replacement cluster, and then, if money permits, repair the current one.

Komi is right, but there is a slight issue here. The man is trying to repair because he has not been able to economically obtain a replacement cluster. So he has nothing to lose by trying to get the current one repaired.

Go with a guy who repairs ECU's etc, with good knowledge of micro electronics, and has a hot blower to work with multi layer boards.

We have guys in SL who can do this Mr Excel. Most of the time the issue is not the lack of know how, but availability of the parts like electronic components. Nobody will stock certain ICs if only one is sold per year. And some of them are not available in the open market.

The real issue is import restrictions and higher taxes which make importing parts ridiculously expensive. Parts for older cars are nearly non existent now.....

I tried searching for details of the guy I told you of, but I could not unearth the info. Hopefully somebody can put the info in the Good Garages thread.

I got to know of person called Chaminda from Panadura. He has helped car same like me with a 260kmph on the speedo without having to replace the entire board. Tomorrow I am going to see him.

So far all the guys I met wanted to me to find a replacement cluster (which the obvious solution), but I cannot find this particular model. This is why I am trying to find a person who knows some electronics just beyond some wiring and replacing an entire board. I am sure there must be some hidden talent out there.

I took a chance and got the main IC of the meter board replaced by myself. Now the speedo works like a charm.

How hard was the task ? finding the IC/ Replacing it.. and the cost ?

I took a chance and got the main IC of the meter board replaced by myself. Now the speedo works like a charm.

Man, if you had these skills why didn't you do this before :)? I have some soldering skills but not good enough for an IC.

But more importantly how did you find the part?

Goes to show, the members of this forum as a collective are more capable than most mechanics, technicians who over charge us for simple jobs on a regular basis :)

I found the IC by visiting a junk yard in Makola. I picked a cluster with the same IC but with none working needles. So the guys gave me the whole thing for Rs.2000. Then I did the IC transplant.

I also figured out that you can even fix a Japanese model cluster to this by swapping the wires properly. Its just that the pinout is little different. I might go ahead and get a illumination type dashboard for this!