• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import Of High Powered Motor Bikes

knightowl

Govt. allows import of high-powered motorbikes
By Anthony David
View(s):

The Government will allow the import of high powered motorcycles — from 450 cc to 1001 cc — upon payment of duty. The decision by the Cabinet of Ministers overturns objections earlier by the Police that they did not possess such high capacity motorcycles to cope with an influx. Ministers have decided to lift the restrictions imposed on the import of high powered bikes up to 1001 cc. They can now be imported legally and registered with the Department of Motor Traffic.

Last year the Government granted permission to register motorcycles with high capacity engines only for sports purposes. The approval of the Secretary to the Ministry of Defence was needed for such imports. Prior to that, the import of motorcycles with a capacity higher than 350 cc was banned. Earlier, the police had expressed concern over granting of permission for high-powered motorcycles as they could be used for criminal activities and they could escape as the police did not have such powerful bikes. However, recently, the Police imported some 230 bikes of 600 cc capacity. But most of them have been distributed in and around Colomb)

I am pretty sure the accident rates would go higher with this decision

I heard already two 600cc police bikes have met with accidents. I don't think the ordinary cops were given enough training to handle 600cc bikes.

my usual office run which is 5 km, i can find these popsicles on bikes waiting to catch people. they need to pay them bikes off soon i guess coz minimum there are two bikers in this stretch :P

At some of the points they even keep their bikes on idle so that they can begin their hot-pursuit seamless! :sport-smiley-004:

On a more serious note, From this

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/newsimages/Attention.jpg

to this

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/newsimages/Fleetfeet.jpg

A ceremonious run!

Actually i have seen more indian bike crashes than those 250CC ones

Youp and i have seen more Toyota axios crashed than Nissan GTR's.

Hmmm oh wait :speechless-smiley-004:

2552833-3653397844-confu.jpg

Youp and i have seen more Toyota axios crashed than Nissan GTR's.

Hmmm oh wait :speechless-smiley-004:

2552833-3653397844-confu.jpg

hehe, some people are a just a bit too dense to understand probabilities and volumes.

PS: But for kicks, if we look at R34 GTRs, 50% of all specimens have crashed :D

Edited by Watchman

I am pretty sure the accident rates would go higher with this decision

dont think there's any connection between engine displacement and probability of accidents.

one can easily ride like an idiot on a moped, crash and get killed too.

If at all, i would guess most people who go for a higher displacement bike would be having more experience and riding skills than the guy who's forced to use commuter level bike.

But i suppose when larger displacement bikes get caught in mishaps they tend to attract more attention.

Also the existing 250cc level bikes can quite comfortably reach over 160kmh :)

• Like 1

dont think there's any connection between engine displacement and probability of accidents.

one can easily ride like an idiot on a moped, crash and get killed too.

If at all, i would guess most people who go for a higher displacement bike would be having more experience and riding skills than the guy who's forced to use commuter level bike.

But i suppose when larger displacement bikes get caught in mishaps they tend to attract more attention.

Also the existing 250cc level bikes can quite comfortably reach over 160kmh :)

It's true when we consider that most us grow older/wiser/richer/smarter with time. But then there's those who rich-kid brats who just turn 18 and race around in shorts and flip-flops. And sri lanka has a fair number of examples that daddy's money can buy the car/bike, but it doesnt buy skill.

• Like 3

It's true when we consider that most us grow older/wiser/richer/smarter with time. But then there's those who rich-kid brats who just turn 18 and race around in shorts and flip-flops. And sri lanka has a fair number of examples that daddy's money can buy the car/bike, but it doesnt buy skill.

And it also kills. I don't think anybody whose fallen off a bike with shorts and flip flops will never willingly do it again.

I've seen the effect on guys on full motor cycle leathers and protective gear and I'd hate to think of somebody without any of that on.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="The Don" data-cid="264678" data-time="1407316950"><p>

<br />

And it also kills. I don't think anybody whose fallen off a bike with shorts and flip flops will never willingly do it again.<br />

<br />

I've seen the effect on guys on full motor cycle leathers and protective gear and I'd hate to think of somebody without any of that on.</p></blockquote>

I once had a guy in Kalmunai who did this. His friends brought his left leg in a no limit shopping bag and nonchalantly asked me whether i can sew it back on.

I wanted to beat them with it.

Regardless, having the option open is always good. Not like we don't have any big bikes on 250 regos running around.

Any details on the taxes/duties involved, anyone?

Hoonigan, if you are bringing it with you, just put it in your bloddy case and walk through customs as you own the place.

The guys only hassle you if you bring multiple big bags and look like you are trying to smuggle something. Plus you have personal allowance you can use up for stuff so make sure the original box is open, so you can claim its your property and is for personal use.

Premium bikes also comes with better rides, disc brakes, anti locks, day time running lights etc. If you do a proper statistical analysis most of the accidents are with indian Hero hondas or scooty pep scooters.

Yes, there are more accidents involving Indian bikes because there are more Indian bikes on the road. Why is it so hard to figure out. geez.

Bike's being what they, when you meet with a collision there's very little the bike's design do to save you form harm's way. There's no metal cage to protect you form hitting the asphalt, tree, wall or vehicle. And THIS is more often the cause of the accident than anything els.e IMO, the only way a European or Japanese bike could be superior is that the manufacturers DO give a rat's ass about handling hence their bikes could be pushed a bit further than their Indian/Chinese counterparts.

Edited by Watchman

if they do allow high capacity bikes they should also implement laws to wear proper riding gear least we know the probability of anyone breaking their necks are less. But they will still need to deal with all the buses, lorries and three wheeler buggers on the road.

if they do allow high capacity bikes they should also implement laws to wear proper riding gear least we know the probability of anyone breaking their necks are less. But they will still need to deal with all the buses, lorries and three wheeler buggers on the road.

Honestly, legislation making proper protective gear (besides the helmet) isnt practical. You'll always have the village farmer riding his CT90 in a sarong and flip-flops etc. You can't expect them to wear covered shoes, thick leather pants/jeans and gloves riding through town.

What is needed is a much more stringent training process with stricter oversight. IMO motorcycle safety is 90% on rider discipline and 10% machine. An ignorant rider on a Ducatti is more likely it meet with an accident than a disciplined rider on a CT100.

Edited by Watchman

not referring to the everyday jockey riding a pulsar but anyone with a high powered bike should atleast for their own sake. The bikes will easily cost of 2mill so spending 1k on riding gear shouldnt be a problem considering that your putting your neck on the line. I agree on the with the training. but the training should be linked to your license to ride the higher your training together with an evaluation of you riding history the high you can go capacity wise if not its just going to be another futile attempt to make money out of it with no actual good coming from the regulation.