• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Loss Of Power In Cefiro A33 2.0G

Mr. Excel

Question

Greetings Experts,

I am driving this Cefiro for past 3 years and it was great. But during past 6 months I found that the car losses it power after I drive for about 10km. I am using 95 petrol. Also all the ignition coils were replaced about 6 months ago to get around with this issue. Petrol pump is also replaced. Still the problem is there. The drive starts very smoothly and has lots of power during first 5km also. Then it drops gradually and it comes to a point where I cannot get the car to hit the 70kmph mark even. Total millage is 90,000km.

Any DIY tricks to find what can be the reason?

Cheers

Harsha

Doesn't these ECU keep error codes logged or was that in later models? I thought it would be fairly straight forward to figure out the issue if the car goes into fail safe mode or limp home mode. That explains why the engine won't rev like before.

The issue does not have to be related to heat. It could be an intermitent problem that develops after a period of driving. When the car is reset the problem clears. Ironically you could figure this out using a data logger. Would an ELM237 type unit work with this car/ECU?

Just a question on the flickering S indicator. Does it flicker starting with one long flicker and then number of short flickers. If so observe the short flickers and see if any one among them are longer than the others. If so, count the number of flickers to the particular longer one. If all flickers except the starting one are of the same length then it is NOT indicating a fault but just showing you that the self-test is OK. However, your car seems to be going into "limp home mode or fail safe mode" as maheshw GayanR said above. (BTW it is quite understandable that A*W couldn't find a fault because we have become so much dependent on scans, reports, what the machines tell us etc., that our own judgement as a tool has become obsolete. You find physicians who cannot diagnose a disease without a scan, students who cannot workout a simple sum without a calculator, me who cannot produce a letter without a word processor and the list can go on endless :D)

Very true. Mine is just a long one followed by 16 short flcikers. So its a generic test I guess. My son was telling he have seen this happening many years back. So its not an error code.

I also felt the same. All of these guys does is scan and then just interpret them to us :P

Very true. Mine is just a long one followed by 16 short flcikers. So its a generic test I guess. My son was telling he have seen this happening many years back. So its not an error code.

I also felt the same. All of these guys does is scan and then just interpret them to us :P

It is supposed to display an error code if there is one. Since your problem is intermittent can you observe the flicker pattern of S indicator when you have your problem? (Switch off ignition, wait for a few seconds, and switch it back on to get the flickering light). Then see if there is a difference in the pattern. It is supposed to display a four digit fault code from the TCM (not ECU), which you can read by observing the flicker pattern (digits are separated by a long pause). Just revert back on this with your observations. Or else you may follow Komi's advice without going into these details.

I took the car to Malinga Electrical works and he figured out the bad idle and hesitation of starting is caused by a bad connector(s). There was another A33 with same as mine with same colour and year came for the same cause and as a result he just fixed by issue in just 30 mins. Now the idle is very smooth and no hesitation of starting as well. I also didn't notice any major power loss as it used to be before this fix. But he recommended me to do a complete engine tuneup and I should get the full power back.

My speedo is not working and Maliga said its due to a bad IC or something. Now I have to find a matching meter board or an electronics expert to find the bad IC and salvage that from a similar board and solder it back to my board. Anyone you know who can do that for me? It seems like finding an A33 meter board is not an easy task and also they are just price 3 times higher than they should be.

Thank you all for the great support.

Anytime bro. My car was with Malinga at the time too. Alternator issue

Was that your car? Its like the twin brother of mine. same colour.

These days I am having hard time finding a meter board since my speedo is not working. Swept the whole of Wijerama and couldn't find one with a 260kmph dial. Any other places to try?

These days I am having hard time finding a meter board since my speedo is not working. Swept the whole of Wijerama and couldn't find one with a 260kmph dial. Any other places to try?

Mr Excel, there are chaps who will fix the board. Not everybody has the equipment to work with multi layer boards, nor consider it cost effective because of the work involved but with luck they are fixable. I've heard of a guy in Jaela or somewhere like that who does this sort of repairs.

The key problem is finding the offending IC. But you will be surprised what you sometimes find in Pettah. A friend repaired a laptop motherboard for me by spending half a day in pettah but finding an failed IC! Worth the effort if the replacement boards can't be found or too expensive.

no machan, this is mine:

http://www.octaneheads.com/2014/01/till-vtec-do-us-part.html

it was there on that day at malinga's

I think your tranny is going on to limp mode that's why you cant speed.Is this the O/D bulb that is flashing 16 times?may be the tranny is overheating?

This guy has a speed sensor failure on transmission

your guess seems to be the exact cause. Finally I found someone who figured out that my car runs on failsafe mode and that is why it lacks powers. He is now doing the fix and I will be getting the car tomorrow. According to him some sensor from the gearbox is not working. I shall keep you guys posted about my test drive tomorrow.

Edited by Mr. Excel