• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Coolant Level Continues Dropping

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi friends,

Having a KDH 200, there is a continues dropping of coolant with time. Few months back I got the coolant flushed and even that time we noticed this. After about 3 months we still have the same issue and yesterday we added little more than 1L to the tank. There is no leakage or anything noticeable but the only way out is via the lid of the tank. Even though its very old :sport-smiley-003: , In my 4DR5 Jeep I never get this issue which It has the level of coolant it was having 6 months before.

Please post what is known about this issue or at least to know whether this is normal. Thanks a lot in advance.

6 answers to this question

If you can't see a leak, then the first thing to look at is the radiator cap.. try replacing it anyways cz it dsnt cost much..unless you have already done so... if the problem is still there..then get it pressure tested.. if you are loosing coolant then that means obviously its going out of the system from somewhere. .hope you properly bled the system for air trapped inside when you did the flush..

• Like 1

Had the same issue on my n16 few months back. pressure checked, radiator cap replaced check for leaks but didnt solve. finally found out that it was a tiny leak in head gasket. after replacing that issue was ok.

Just start by replacing radiator cap. also check for any visible leaks after parking or when engine reaches to working temp.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the responses.

if the problem is still there..then get it pressure tested..

Thanks and this seems like worth doing. Could you or anyone suggest me a better place around Piliyandala.

Tiny leak in head gasket.

If this could be the reason, Is it dangerous to travel under this condition?

Check if the radiator horse is sealed properly

Yes. It seems fine but better checking once again. Thanks.

Thank you all but please post a reply if possible.

Hi Nishan.dj,

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap, make sure the coolant is there to the top of the radiator and to the appropriate level of reserve tank and start the engine. Inspect the radiator for water bubbles at the radiator cap hole. If air bubbles keep coming out (when engine is getting wormed, the frequency of the bubbles will also rise) it could be a head gasket leak.

However, there is a small problem when performing this test. That is, when the engine is getting wormed, water (coolant) get pressurized and will overflow from the radiator cap hole and it will be a mess. So, in order to fix it, get an empty plastic (preferably white) mega bottle, fill water in it about 25% of the bottle and place it upright on the radiator cap hole. Now you can hold the bottle and inspect for air bubbles for a considerable time.

If it is the case (double check with your mechanic), and if you are going to change the head gasket, once the cam is removed, inspect the cam head for for cracks (near adjacent cylinders). Make sure to plate the cam head before installing the new head gasket.

• Like 2

I had a similar problem. The leak was due to a corroded water jacket (welch plug/freeze plug). For more than a year it had leaked slowly and I couldn't figure it out from where cos the drops were landing on the exhaust pipe and evaporating. Until very recently it started spraying out and I thought my block was cracked.

So better if you could check under the car after the engine is all warmed up (be very careful). Cos then the pressure is built and could show external leaks.

Also check water pump area, inlet/outlet hoses, water pipe (from pump to block), coolant colour (signs for oil), radiator core and plastic tanks.

Good luck !

Edited by MAS
  • Like 2